10 lbs of boost

Does the car feel like it is pulling hard ( as if there was 16-18psi boost) ? Is there knock showing on the scantool ? Any strange noises or behaviour that you notice ?

If that exhaust leak you found is big enough (which wouldn't take much), it may be enough to not have enough to spool the turbo and is actually acting like a wastegate that is stuck open into the atmosphere...

streetknights said:
ok, ttype6, i disconnected the hose to the actuator, clamped it off and still had no change.
The leak you described at the wastegate is after the turbine,so that wouldn't be the cause. Since you still have the same boost after the test,you either have a wastegate stuck open or a bad turbo. It's probably not the wastegate. What kind of turbo do you have?

streetknights said:
i can't get my car to go past ten pounds of boost, stock actuator(adjustable), i can bypass the solenoid and still only get ten pounds???
-----------------------------------------
Did this just start?
Is the car a new purchase?
Has any or all of the 3 piece rubber hose set running from the boost solenoid to the 3 way tee running to the turbo compressor housing and wastegate atuator been replaced recently?

update

finally got a little time to mess with it, the turbo is stock, i replaced the hoses today with a factory set, pulled the exhaust elbow to inspect it wastegate pucked looked good(you could see a good circle all the way around) fins look good on both sides of the turbo, no play, no smoke(how could the turbo be bad????)

streetknights said:
no play, no smoke(how could the turbo be bad????)
This is the same situation I had this year. To see what's going on you'll have to remove and dissassemble the turbo to look for evidence of the turbine blades hitting the turbine housing. You should first remove your inlet hose and see if there is any evidence of the compressor wheel hitting the compressor housing. Limit enginering is who I would call for your rebuild or upgrade. Talk to Chopper. He'll explain your options.(928) 453-7321

streetknights said:
how could the blades hit if there is no play???
If you want,you could disconnect your exhaust from the test pipe to see if you have a restriction in your exhaust. You don't have any exhaust leaks before the turbo,do you? If the answer is no,and you don't have an exhaust restriction,you have a bad turbo.

leaks

yeah it has a small leak on the driver's side header, it had the same leak before and was boosting fine, so i shrugged it off, the exhaust is a cheepo single shot turned out in front of the passenger side wheel, it looks like they had to expand the ends on the muffler(turbo style kind of looks like a glass pac) to make it fit the pipe

streetknights said:
finally got a little time to mess with it, the turbo is stock, i replaced the hoses today with a factory set, pulled the exhaust elbow to inspect it wastegate pucked looked good(you could see a good circle all the way around) fins look good on both sides of the turbo, no play, no smoke(how could the turbo be bad????)
---------------------------------------------------
FWIW & IMHO
If you still have your old set of hoses, I would remove the hose on the bottom of the straight leg on the Tee. It should have a brass restrictor in it. even though you replaced the hoses with a factory set, do the same with the new hoses and compare the restrictor hole size. They should be the same size. Look at the information for the 3 tee fittings with different size restrictors. I just had overboost problems a while back, and I chose to use the RJC hybird boost controller in leiu of trying to monkey with the different restrictor sizes. Previous to that, I had just had a set changed, and the new ones that appeared to be a factory set had a different size restrictor. Did not find out till later. HTH
http://secure.johnsperformance.com/...0134.26002*IF1Ug&next=40&product=Engine-Parts
Item #s 251 & 252 under engine parts

Wells said:
---------------------------------------------------
FWIW & IMHO
If you still have your old set of hoses, I would remove the hose on the bottom of the straight leg on the Tee. It should have a brass restrictor in it. even though you replaced the hoses with a factory set, do the same with the new hoses and compare the restrictor hole size. They should be the same size. Look at the information for the 3 tee fittings with different size restrictors. I just had overboost problems a while back, and I chose to use the RJC hybird boost controller in leiu of trying to monkey with the different restrictor sizes. Previous to that, I had just had a set changed, and the new ones that appeared to be a factory set had a different size restrictor. Did not find out till later. HTH
http://secure.johnsperformance.com/...0134.26002*IF1Ug&next=40&product=Engine-Parts
Item #s 251 & 252 under engine parts
He already diconnected the hose from the actuator and plugged it. After doing this the motor still produced only 10 lbs.of boost. That rules out the hoses.

streetknights said:
It had the same leak before and was boosting fine, so i shrugged it off.
That means is't not the problem.The only test to do before ordering a turbo is to disconnect the exhuast from the test pipe. If this doesn't cure your problem,it's time to call Chopper.

Ttype6 said:
He already diconnected the hose from the actuator and plugged it. After doing this the motor still produced only 10 lbs.of boost. That rules out the hoses.
-----------------
Yes, you are correct, and I forgot that part. Oops, my bad.

streetknights said:
yeah it has a small leak on the driver's side header, it had the same leak before and was boosting fine, so i shrugged it off, the exhaust is a cheepo single shot turned out in front of the passenger side wheel, it looks like they had to expand the ends on the muffler(turbo style kind of looks like a glass pac) to make it fit the pipe
-------------------------------------------
Even though the crack in the header appears to be the same size, and even if it is the same size when the car is not running, or even running but not boosting, does not mean that the crack has not worsened or is larger than before under boost. I would have the header welded/repaired before looking further. HTH

I helped streetknights out today with the car. We did all the things he's listed above. On my car I had a leaky header a LOT worse than his. You can see it's cracked, but it's not audible. Not that that's not the problem. But man you should see the way the exhaust is on this car. The muffler is a glass pack (cherry bomb) style that isn't much bigger around than the 2 1/4" pipe they used. Honestly the muffler can't be more than 3" around OD.

The problem is the car doesn't have the factory flange for the cat and they just welded that muffler where the cat would go and turned the exhaust out about 2 foot behind that muffler. SO to eliminate it we were gonna have to cut it off with a saw which we opted not to do today cause it's his daily driver. BUT, we might need to if too much back pressure could cause this problem.

The car was doing fine and went into the paint shop and sat for about 6 mos. The shop that did the paint put the El cheapo exhaust on it while it was in. When he got it back, no Boost.

If it is a glasspack style muffler that may be the problem. They are not all designed to flow both directions. If you have one installed backwards that will increase your backpressure. It would not matter on a n/a car as much but if it is barely the size of the pipe then you add to the problem with a turbo car. Also, one 2 1/4" pipe is not big enough exaust for even a stock turbo. As the exhaust gasses cool they need room to expand. If you want a single shot exhaust then you will need at least a 3" pipe if not more. Cut the muffler off and see if the problem doesn't go away. Since it's a daily driver, if you cut it carefully, you can put it back together with an adapter and clamps, availabe at any auto parts store, until it can get fixed correctly.

thanks

thanks for all the help guys, i probably won't get to mess with again until this weekend, i'll let you know what happens though

finally BOOST

pulled the intercooler to check it for leaks, none found, pulled the turbo to inspect it and to fix a small exhaust leak i could see at the header collector, still no boost, finally got brave and whacked the exhaust off and now i have boost out the roof :D glad i didn't buy a turbo. i think i may have told about the exhaust in the general tech forum but failed to mention it here. i WAS running a homemade single shot with a turbo style muffler???(looked like a glass pack) anyway, that muffler, that's in the scrap pile now, was my problem. so the hooker dual set and thdp are on the way.
moral of the story: you get what you pay for

thanks again for your help and input, you made me fix some other things i had been putting off