You can type here any text you want

100 Octane on 18 pounds of boost?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BARRACUDA1968

My car is set up at 18 pounds of boost with a 93 chip. I also have Alky injection.

I ran most of the old gas out of the car and decided to put 3/4 tank of 100 octane and filled the rest with 93 octane.

I just bought the car so I am learning all the ins and outs of tuning, scanmaster readings and knock.

I figured the higher octane might give me a little more insurance for my first tank of gas since I've been playing with the car a bit.

This morning I drove it to work and after about three blocks of stop and go the motor wanted to die right off idle so I had to feather the pedal to keep it running.

I was wondering if the higher octane is messing something up. Probably a dumb question but this is my first turbo car.

I would reset the IAC and TPS first. If its stubling at idle/tip in then I would srart there.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

What's your static fuel pressure set at?

Agreed. Mine would throw the cel and stumble, but never die. After about 1700-2000 rpm the cel would shut off.

If you have a scantool, the 02 values should fluctuate between 10 and 800 or so mv if functioning. If locked on an arbitrary value, then the 02 is likely shot. Keep in mind the number will be locked after a hot shut down/restart for a couple of minutes.

Thanks for the fast responses.

I have a scanmaster and it seems to be reading the 02's fine.

I'm really not sure if the racing fuel is leaded or unleaded? I will ask the station tomorrow on the way to work. I use it in my Barracuda and a lot of guys around town run it too. I do notice on my barracuda that I get a yellow residue on the carb from the squirters after running this 100 octane fuel.

Fuel pressure is set at 42 psi

How do you rest the IAC and TPS?

If this fuel is leaded what course of action should I take now? I've put maybe 100 miles on the car at the most.

If it was leaded you probably want to change the O2. Lead can kill them pretty fast. If it's unleaded which Sunoco does sell then you may be looking at the cleaning the iac and throttle blade for starters.

I misread and thought I read 110 octane.

The 100 is likely unleaded, although the 100 unleaded I ran in my car just a few times did jack up my o2 sensor. It coated it with some kind of red residue and mucked it all up.

My car runs mid - low 10's on 91 (I'm in AZ) and alky @ 20-21 lbs of boost.

18 lbs w/93 and alky should let you run 20lbs easily. Just keep an eye on the a/f and knock and you should be safe.

But I could be wrong........:eek:

So unleaded race fuel is fine but my stumble could be from dirty IAC and TPS?

I guess I just assumed it was unleaded since it was sold at the pump. Didn't realize they sold leaded fuel anymore. I called the gas station but the guy working doesn't know so I'll ask the manger in the morning.

If it's leaded should I empty the tank? Or drive the gas out of it and replace 02's?

It's probably unleaded. I would just run it out either way and go from there. Have you done a spring cleaning recently? Maybe it's just time for a good tune up.

So unleaded race fuel is fine but my stumble could be from dirty IAC and TPS?

I guess I just assumed it was unleaded since it was sold at the pump. Didn't realize they sold leaded fuel anymore. I called the gas station but the guy working doesn't know so I'll ask the manger in the morning.

If it's leaded should I empty the tank? Or drive the gas out of it and replace 02's?

No need to go to those extremes.

They don't sell leaded at the pump, and the IAC/TPS/dirty throttle body is more likely the issue but, as I said,
unleaded 100 octane gas mucked my 02 sensor up so it's worth at least a look.

I haven't touched the car other than changing the oil. The car pretty much sat since 2008 since the previous owner hadn't registered it since then. The build has 2500 miles on it give or take. The car ran perfect until this morning so I haven't messed with anything. I have washed it twice though.;)

No need to go to those extremes.

They don't sell leaded at the pump, and the IAC/TPS/dirty throttle body is more likely the issue but, as I said,
unleaded 100 octane gas mucked my 02 sensor up so it's worth at least a look.

You are probably on to something because like I said I have a yellow film on my Dominator on the Cuda. The main body is polished so it's easy to see. I'm now wondering if that's what's effecting my IAC and TPS?

I haven't touched the car other than changing the oil. The car pretty much sat since 2008 since the previous owner hadn't registered it since then. The build has 2500 miles on it give or take. The car ran perfect until this morning so I haven't messed with anything. I have washed it twice though.;)

Well then, there's your answer.

Do (or have a TRUSTED Buick guy do) a spring cleaning on your TR, the process can be found right here on the board. Start with that. If it doesn't fix the problem, try the next thing, but do anything you do ONE STEP AT A TIME!!!!!!!

If you do a bunch of things at once, you won't have a starting point to go back to. I don't think you will find anyone who disagrees me on this.

Well then, there's your answer.

Do (or have a TRUSTED Buick guy do) a spring cleaning on your TR, the process can be found right here on the board. Start with that. If it doesn't fix the problem, try the next thing, but do anything you do ONE STEP AT A TIME!!!!!!!

If you do a bunch of things at once, you won't have a starting point to go back to. I don't think you will find anyone who disagrees me on this.

That's good advice! I'll do a search and get the info.

That's why this board, a great board, I must say, is here. Plenty of help to be had here.

Good luck to you!

Keep us updated on your progress.

Back