You can type here any text you want

100 Octane on 18 pounds of boost?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Back in my drag racing days, I ran a lot of 100 octane unleaded. In fact, I've never had leaded gas of any kind in my car. See my signature, went mid-11s at 117 to 119 mph at 24 to 25 psi boost and no alky. I never had any stumbling or other problems while running it. Actually, my car ran great on it, and the exhaust smelled nice, too. I have run a heated O2 sensor all that time, so maybe that helped if there were any deposit problems.

I'm more inclined to think something else is wrong besides the gas. As others have suggested, start with a spring cleaning if the car has been sitting. Another thought, did the fresh fuel stir up something in the gas tank?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back in my drag racing days, I ran a lot of 100 octane unleaded. In fact, I've never had leaded gas of any kind in my car. See my signature, went mid-11s at 117 to 119 mph at 24 to 25 psi boost and no alky. I never had any stumbling or other problems while running it. Actually, my car ran great on it, and the exhaust smelled nice, too. I have run a heated O2 sensor all that time, so maybe that helped if there were any deposit problems.

I'm more inclined to think something else is wrong besides the gas. As others have suggested, start with a spring cleaning if the car has been sitting. Another thought, did the fresh fuel stir up something in the gas tank?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I run a heated o2 sensor too, but the man has a point...... '08 was a long time ago... your new baby did sit for a LONG time.

I'll start with the basics and go from there. 5 years of sitting is hard on a car. I have extra 02's and fuel filter that came with the car. The K&N is like new but wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it and re oil it.

I'll probably run the current 02's if they are functioning properly after this tank of fuel. But I'll take a look at them anyway.

Another thing to do (after the spring cleaning) is to check/change all of the old rubber vacuum/boost lines and to double check the PVC valve is working properly.

The smallest leak can result in the wierdest issues.

Another thing to do (after the spring cleaning) is to check/change all of the old rubber vacuum lines and ensure the PVC valve is working properly.

That's another thing I need to brush up on. The previous owner had problems with the PCV sucking oil on the fresh motor so he installed a remote catch can system and this solved the problem. I guess I will have to take a picture of it so you can see what I mean.

here's a link, it's mounted behind the turbo

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/sg333e/media/87 GN for sale/IMG_3044.jpg.html?sort=4&o=16

Dayum!

That looks like a nice car!

Just remember, do one thing at a time.

One tiny change might uncover a new issue that needs to be addressed before you can move on to the next thing on your list.

Welcome to Turbo Buicks!

Now you know why Lou Czarnota, one of the best, maintains my car. (I'm old and tired)

I bought one new in 86 and ran the snot out of it thru 96. Then it was stolen.

Fast forward to 2011 and a few job/life changes later, I buy a TR from Lou and share my vision of it.

It's been a great few years, and I've learned soooooo much more than I ever imagined I could learn. Iif it weren't for TR.com and Lou, I'd probably have a broke down old Buick rotting in the garage.......for sale.....

I owe this place a lot, it kinda saved me. But that's another story.....

Again, good luck to you!

Remember, there is a LOT of help to be had here on TurboBuick.com, most of it's free..........:D

I've not seen leaded 100 octane before. We ran 102 in our race cars and got the same residue without issue. This was pump gas from a regular station outside the track. None of the road cars at this track used leaded fuel.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

If your only issue is idle performance, I would reset the iac first.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

I think I found the issue or part of it. My car has a catch can that is bolted the the back of the turbo that is routed through the PCV valve. The PO had a problem with sucking oil in to the intake through the PCV because the motor was fresh. The rubber line came off the canister so I had a vacuum leak.

I fixed that and it is real smooth off idle now.

Maybe it's just me getting familiar with the car but it stills seems a little herky jerky once in a while. When it shifts gears under low acceleration it feels like the convertor is trying to lock up like it can't decide what gear I should be in? It will shift the gear and then drop idle right after. The trans is super fresh and built for this set up.

Doesn't seem to matter how I fines the gas pedal I can't seem to find a happy medium?

What do you guys think?

Back