<11.50 run what kind of roll bar is needed???

quadzila

i have been looking through 100s of posts and have seen really fast combo's and was wondering how many of you faster 11.50 actually run a roll bar? and if not do not run a roll cage how are you able run your cars? thanks in advance.....

If you run faster than a 12.99, but slower than 9.99 all your required is a welded in 6pt. cage. Some people get away without having a cage by running on an outlaw day or they just know the guys at the track. Also with the economy the way it is most tracks are really not trying to send anybody away.

If you run faster than a 12.99, but slower than 9.99 all your required is a welded in 6pt. cage. Some people get away without having a cage by running on an outlaw day or they just know the guys at the track. Also with the economy the way it is most tracks are really not trying to send anybody away.

dont know where you got 12.99 from ???

unless its a convertible you dont need a roll bar until the car is faster than 11.50 , from 11.49 to 10.00 you need a 6point roll bar (along with other safety items per nhra) and by the current regs you don't have to put a door bar on passenger side so only 5 points are needed , the forward bars would make it a roll cage but not needed for most until you're faster than 9.99 (also need other saftey equip and a NHRA license)

some tracks dont bust chops about the roll bar unless you break into 10s , or if you do run and you get the boot ..but you ran and got the video or timeslip , because there are those that are only after a fast car and think safety is stupid my local track wont give you a time slip if you run faster than your safety equipment.. specifically no sub 11.50 without a roll bar

some buick events are notorius for not enforcing safety rule and track rentals also are lax on the rules .

if you're going that fast and plans are to go to the track put the bar in it , and it needs to be welded to the frame be legal which is why some wont put one in because it does impact the value of the car to someone whos not a racer,

dont know where you got 12.99 from ???

unless its a convertible you dont need a roll bar until the car is faster than 11.50 , from 11.49 to 10.00 you need a 6point roll bar (along with other safety items per nhra) and by the current regs you don't have to put a door bar on passenger side so only 5 points are needed , the forward bars would make it a roll cage but not needed for most until you're faster than 9.99 (also need other saftey equip and a NHRA license)

some tracks dont bust chops about the roll bar unless you break into 10s , or if you do run and you get the boot ..but you ran and got the video or timeslip , because there are those that are only after a fast car and think safety is stupid my local track wont give you a time slip if you run faster than your safety equipment.. specifically no sub 11.50 without a roll bar

some buick events are notorius for not enforcing safety rule and track rentals also are lax on the rules .

if you're going that fast and plans are to go to the track put the bar in it , and it needs to be welded to the frame be legal which is why some wont put one in because it does impact the value of the car to someone whos not a racer,

I was being general as far as when they start requiring a roll cage, without getting into a long explanation of the rules. The tracks down here were requiring a cage if you were faster than 12.99. They have recently lightened up a little on their tech(due to poor turn outs). You have to remember that tracks can impose their own rules as SFI specs are only guidelines. Only tracks that are sanctioned by a certain body(i.e. NHRA,IHRA) must obey the rules and regulations that the sanctioning body follows. Also most people don't run a 5 point due to the door bars have a dual purpose which is for added safety due to a side impact and stiffen the main hoop in case of a rollover (besides the fact it looks like crap).

I was being general as far when they start requiring a roll cage, without getting into a long explanation of the rules. The tracks down here were requiring a cage if you were faster than 12.99. They have recently lightened up a little on their tech. You have to remember that tracks can impose their own rules as SFI specs are only guidelines. Only tracks that are sanctioned by a certain body(i.e. NHRA,IHRA) must obey the rules and regulations of that the sanctioning body follows.

So, are you telling us that even totally stock cars Z06 and such, have to have a roll bar at your track? Where are you located?

That was being demanded at the old Moroso Motorsports park in Palm Beach, Fl. You almost got the feeling they didn't even want you there. It is now PBIR (Palm Beach International Raceway). It's now under new ownership, they mostly cater to outlaw racers(outlaw being those cars with radical motors and no safety equipment) /grudge racing and there road course. You can get away with just about anything now or so I've heard. I haven't been there in a while as I have been away from the street car scene for while. I mostly race/attend outlaw 10.5 and outlaw drag radial classes.

They use to have a stock suspension event once a month (which was basically drag radial cars with stock type suspension) when it was still Moroso. The next to last event that I attended their they required some things that I thought were ridiculous like a push/pull on-off switch (by the way I have the flaming river push/pull SFI cert. switch), a ground wire from the fuel cell door bolt to the chassis ( mind you - my fuel cell is aluminum and mounted to the floor directly through tabs on the fuel cell body itself), and an engine diaper (which at the time was not required by any sanctioning body- my argument at the time was turbo cars don't grenade like the nitrous cars do and with the amount of piping and tight bends it would be a hazardous situation). The last event I attended there they told me my helmet was not the right one (which passed tech the previous event) and the diaper caught on fire with the crossover pipe(luckily I had a fire system on the car). Last time I raced there.

Some here are 11.50 strict & some dont care as long as you Sign the Waiver that says they have NO Responsibility for you or your car or the spectators. Then you can race anything!
Usually they are more like a Country Fair than a real track & unsafe IMO.
I dont need some 10 sec car beside me that the driver has no experience so he can take me out when he crashes!
Playing Safe is Best IMO. Thats why I stay at 11.50 or maybe 11.20 once in a while at days end.

So, are you telling us that even totally stock cars Z06 and such, have to have a roll bar at your track? Where are you located?

Also I am in no way affiliated, employed, under contract, (you get the picture) by that track. If it was my track I'd be trying to host some type of GN event there!!:biggrin:

That would cause them to turn away a lot of hot factory muscle. That would force those guys to run on the street and cut down on the fans that come to watch their buddies wax race cars with hot street cars.

Oh well, I'm glad the tracks are safe, but not overly crazy about safety.

That would cause them to turn away a lot of hot factory muscle. That would force those guys to run on the street and cut down on the fans that come to watch their buddies wax race cars with hot street cars.

Oh well, I'm glad the tracks are safe, but not overly crazy about safety.

You're absolutely right. I remember when I was a teenager - going there with my mudstang (little street car with basic bolt-ons that I used to street race when I was young and dumb). They didn't let me run anymore because I ran a 12.86 with no cage :eek:. This was my daily driver with a/c - that I was not about to put a cage in to run the car every once in a blue moon (also the discomfort of getting in and out of). You would have to get your runs in on an outlaw sunday (usually the first or last sunday of the month).But like I mentioned previously they have changed - to the extreme opposite now.

I would put a 6 point in my car but I would want a removable bar behind the seat so I wouldn’t pass tech inspection any way. I use the car on the weekend for the family to go to shows or just drive around and I can’t have that seat bar there with the kids getting in and out. Guess that keep s me from spending all the cash it takes to run 10s.
I would also fail tech for the tinted windows. Surprised you can’t have at least the back windows tinted.