11" bolt on brakes

Hit the boards hard and found a pair of C5 caliper with brackets for $150 shipped. All I need now is the conversion brackets and rotors. Also, where are you guys getting the hardware to bolt these up to the ZQ8 spindle?

the bracket comes with the hardware to mount it to the spindle and the caliper bracket to it. the only hardware you will need is the bolts that hold the C5 caliper to the C5 caliper brackets and the C5 banjo bolts

Should we start a seperate Blazer/C5 thread?

Hboost did you see any others for sale. Rebuilt from Napa was $300 without cores and without the abutments. My email is Zoliaster@yahoo.com, send me a line if you come across any others. TIA

Rick

I actually did, but the caliper brackets were missing one banjo screw on each side. If you want his email address let me know. By any chance, do you know how much the C5 caliper brackets are from the dealer? Oh, and we should start another thread just for the C5 brakes, IMHO.

Lee Thompson said:
Does installing the Blazer assembly change the ride height any? I am not a suspension guy.

Nope the blazer spindle is the exact dementions as the G body spindle

Thanks Gbodyolds for posting those pics of my C5 to ZQ8 bracket kit. Zoliaster did you receive your brackets yet if so make sure you post some pics as your project comes along. I went to a local car show last sunday and got some pics of a friends 85 Monte Carlo SS big block running Boyd wheels. He just installed some QA1 coilovers, ZQ8 spindles, black C5 calipers and 13" C5 GM Durastop drilled/slotted rotors using my C5 to ZQ8 bracket kit. He is running a 12 bolt rear axle with SSM trailing arms. He is using manual brakes since the big block won't make enough vacuum.

Monte Carlo SS

Monte Carlo SS

Monte Carlo SS

Attachments

• C5 brakes-2.jpg
    C5 brakes-2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,154
  • front rim-2.jpg
    front rim-2.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,119
  • side2-2.jpg
    side2-2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,124
lt4xtreme said:
Thanks Gbodyolds for posting those pics of my C5 to ZQ8 bracket kit. Zoliaster did you receive your brackets yet if so make sure you post some pics as your project comes along.

I'm out of town till next weekend so I haven't been able to check them out yet. I have double adjustable uppers with the spohn lowers and varishock coilovers with boyd (a different set than was in your pics) wheels.

I ordered the Baer 13" drilled and slotted rotors and calipers from touring classics. It's the C5 caliper without the Corvette name on them. I'm thinking about having them engrave either Buick or Grand National on them and then powdercoating them black with silver lettering.

I have read the whole thread and I have a question about the master cylinder. I am running vacuum brakes and will the n/a master cylinder work with this setup? Also does anyone know the actual piston diameter of the calipers? There were two different values given.

BLACK DEATH DSR said:
We tried Ls1 brakes under 87 ttype rims. They do fit but you need to grind down the caliper some on top. All Fbody owners do this when they put skinnies on the front.

Do you have any pictures of howmuch grinding was necessary? Did you run this with 12" LS1 disks. Which spindels the gbody spindels of the blazer ones? Where did you get the caliper brackets?

OK, sorry to chime in, but, I have a 87 olds cutlass. I really want to upgrade the brakes, but dont want to do the b body conversion because of bumpsteer. Dont want the cost of SC&C or others "kits".

If I do the s10 swap, can I use the stock master cylinder? None of that hydroboost stuff. Just a stock G body master cylinder.

If so, then I would need:

s10 blazer setup (rotors, spindle, dual piston calipers)
Stock G body flexible brake line (with no adapter). If I dont want an adapter, which lines? Monte carlo? Arent they the same as all G body lines?
And aftermarket rotors slotted and cross drilled if I want them, right?

And that is it, correct?

I have read through this thread 2 times now. Just trying to get the facts clear. Too many off topic posts about ls1 and baer brakes. Starting to get confusing.

hunter

I just did this swap.
The S-10 2WD flex brake line is larger or @ least different size, so either buy new S-10 flex lines (BTW I could not find them in aftermarket steel braided) or use an adapter to be able to use steel braided G-body lines. And yes Monte of the same year is the same.
Be carfull when buying these parts as most bone yards will tell you S-10 trucks are the same. They are not as the truck has single piston calipers.
I used all the pieces from the bone yard--bought a caliper rebuild kit from GM --$22 for all 4 calipersd but they did not need rebuilt. Had the rotors turned as I assumed original GM was better steel than foreign. Bought new ceramic pads and the car stops mucho better. Also hold on the line MUCH better. I am having a problem with the wheels not spinning as freely as with the stock setup. The calipers are not corroded==the bearings are free--it's as if my calipers don't retract enough which leaves some drag on the rotors.
Hope to be able to solve this over the winter. Don't know who to ask if the master cyl. could be the problem. Best of luck.

Ok, so you are saying the monte brake lines from lets say a 2000 monte, not a Gbody monte, correct?

That was confusing me. PLease let me know if I am correct in my statement above.

Anyone, Still need info on the stock master cylinder.

So here is the list as I understand it.

1. Spindles from a 98' to 05' s10 blazer.
2. Calipers (dual piston) from a 98' to 05' s10 blazer.
3. Rotors for 98' to 05' s10 blazer. (can be aftermarket or stock)
4. New flexible brake lines from a g body monte carlo or use an adapter (2 edelmann 258340 3/16- 1/4 brake line adapters).
5. Cut the ABS wire harness off the hubs.

The stock master cylinder from a gbody car will not work. Finding out what will work. Stay tuned.

IS ALL THAT CORRECT?

Trying to do all this in one post so everyone can reference it. I will edit the above if something isnt correct.

Thanks

PS. ALSO: What is this that I am hearing that the bearings go bad quicker in these? Any truth to this?

no

You will need flex lines from a G-body Monte. I don't know about a 2000, something to look into. MUST be 2WD---I don't drive mine enough to worry about the bearings. I called around and found a bone yard with the complete setup. Get the frame braket (where the lines connect) also.

S 19 Boosters

Those S 10's Used An 12" Diameter Dual Diapragm Booster With A Step Bore Master Cyl. That Master Has 1 5/8"x 1 1/8" Pistons Needed To Push The Larger Calipers. The G Body Vacuum Booster Used A 24mm Or 15/16" Master. With An 8.75" Dual Dia Booster. Big Difference In Volume And Power In Those 2 Systems. The Powermaster Has A 1.250" Piston In The Master Section. A Properly Working P/m Would Handle The Bigger Caliper, But I Don't Think The 24mm Master Is Big Enough. Allow For That Possibility.

? for POWERBRAKEBOB

I have my original 85 hyd. boost setup except for the S-10 brakes--not vacuum or powermaster. Could you call me on my cell @ 765-602-0997. Thanks.

OK, so you are saying that I cannot use my stock master cylinder correct?
What would I have to do as far as a master cylinder? Can I use the one from the blazer? Will it fit?

And I have updated my listing post for the monte carlo flexible brake lines. So a gbody flexible brake line. So then I should be able to use my flexible brake lines off of my cutlass, as all the g body components should be the same. Correct?

And you are saying that the adapters are only if using the Blazer brake lines?
Is that correct?

No one I have herd of doing this swap has changed the master (I didnt change mine), for peak performance it may be advisable BUT It is not necessary, I understand the blazer uses a bigger master but a blazer is a heavier vehicle it needs more to stop.

and yes the adaptors are only needed if you are using the blazer lines

Gbody olds, you did this swap?

And you didnt change the master cylinder?

You dont have any other booster or anything correct?

How do the brakes feel? Are they spongey or soft?

Do they feel just as firm as they did before the conversion?

Hope you dont mind me asking so many questions. Just trying to get all the facts to put in my post so everyone has the hard data.

Thanks

Craig