135k rear axle. What should I replace?

Is there anything that I need to address other than the outer axle seals and pinion seal? Should I look at the bearings? There really wasn't anything wrong that I'm aware of and my budget is tight. Should I do C clip eliminators? Thanks.

I guess I have seen enough rear axles come off of cars at the track to get nervous. The seals are leaking. No noise, so I guess the bearings are alright.

The bearings are likely worn with 135k. Id replace them too. You will know when you pull the axles

How hard are the clutches abd bearings to replace? Do I have to have the races pressed in?

I just had to replace the carrier bearings on my 139k rear. It's easy to check them for wear.

Visually. Once you slide out the axles, it's only 4 bolts to remove the two large main caps. Just pay attention to the shims and put them back if they fall out. I didn't even have to completely remove the posi.. I just moved it out an inch or two and peeked at one of the bearings. I could see pitting, so I went ahead and removed it completely. It's a fairly heavy piece, so don't drop it.

I bought new bearings at Napa and took the posi to a machine shop and they pressed the old ones off and put the new bearings on. Charged me $50 to do that. No need to remove the ring gear, just be careful not to chip it when you're carrying it around.

Try to match up the same brand bearings. If you remove Timken, replace them with Timken. That way you won't need to adjust any shims.

Put the posi back in (a bit of a pain) and the shims. It should go in snug, with a few taps with a dead blow hammer. Remember to torque the main cap bolts to 60 lbs.

I am in the process of doing the same thing. Where can I get the clutches for the posi? NAPA said they don't carry it and suggested checking the dealership. The dealership said they are discontinued from GM. Also roughly how much do they go for?

I just bought new clutches and the S spring from the dealer ship last OCT. Both were pricey I believe I paid about $160.00 for everything. Hoping to install this spring. So I am suprised they are no longer available already.

I replaced the posi clutches not too long ago and the car had 157K miles on it...the clutches/metals really didn't look bad...I would say as long as the rear end isn't making any noises and you're not having problems with it just leave it alone...maybe replace the outer seals...do you race the car a lot?...

Scott, I'm sure you remember me. I haven't even driven my car in 5 years. :D I think I will not worry about the clutches at this time. Before I blew up the car I remember that when I took off fast the left tire would not start laying rubber until about 6 feet after the right tire. No noises. Both tires would spin in a burnout. I also think I had Royal Purple in the rear end. :eek: I decided to just use some good 'ol Valvoline 75W90 with the GM friction modifier.

I got it all apart right now. I just replaced the outer bearings and seals. I'm not waiting for my Timken rebuild kit to come in. The carrier bearings need replacing for sure. I decided to do it all though.

I just finished sandblasting and painting the frame. Then it's onto finishing the rear diff, all new front suspension and brakes, put the body back on with new poly bushings, and then I can finally start assembling the motor.