You can type here any text you want

140K Stock Timing Chain?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
^Yep. The reason I wrote that oil pump article years ago is because my non-nylon timing set took out my old timing cover with debris.
What causes an upgraded timing set to give metal pieces in the oil? 124k mile stock unopened block from what I know. Bought a new timing set from husek. Should I just get a stocke replacement for now and save the other onnce I go roller?

What causes an upgraded timing set to give metal pieces in the oil? 124k mile stock unopened block from what I know. Bought a new timing set from husek. Should I just get a stocke replacement for now and save the other onnce I go roller?
The nature of the metal on metal design. It is not necessarily the roller cam that does it in the sprocket-- it is the valve spring tension. Knowing how notoriously weak the stock valve springs were, an upgraded spring set can do in a sprocket, (and flat tappet cam lobe) sooner.

What causes an upgraded timing set to give metal pieces in the oil? 124k mile stock unopened block from what I know. Bought a new timing set from husek. Should I just get a stock replacement for now and save the other onnce I go roller?

Stock replacement timing chains vary widely in quality and price.

The most "wearable" item is the cam gear as most aftermarket timing sets are not built to performance standards, but for replacement in the economy Buick V-6 engines with 150 HP or so.

These sets are ok for normal driving by Grandma, but have a very short life when "spirited" driving with a turbo car.

The mainstream aftermarket double roller chain sets are a step above the entry level ones, but still use a cast cam gear.

The top line performance timing sets have a billet cam gear which are very resistant to wear and of course are much stronger.

When a timing chain becomes loose, it is because of cam gear wear, not chain stretch.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for one way or the other!

Thanks. I am upgraded to the 980 springs as well. I'm just trying to keep this motor together this season. Guess I'll be investing in a magnetic plug regardless. I'm going to try to get should of the original owner and see if he can shed some light

Back