You can type here any text you want

17" wheel backspacing question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bescurred

BOOSTED SHAMU v2.0
For a 17x9 what backspacing is needed with stock suspension to keep say a 295 tire from rubbing the frame? I know each car may be slightly different on what will and won't rub. I'd just like to see what you guys are running.

My backspacing an my 17x9s is 4.75.

Ditto here. Keep in mind not all rears are centered perfectly (mine isn't at the moment) and the section width of your tire will begin to really matter once you get that close.

Ditto here. Keep in mind not all rears are centered perfectly (mine isn't at the moment) and the section width of your tire will begin to really matter once you get that close.

So would a 4.5" going to be closer to "center" from wheel well to frame?

The higher the backspacing number the more you're moving the tire inward or towards the 'center' of the car. For instance an 8" rim with 4" backspacing.

Here is a chart to explain:

choosingdiagram.jpg

ok so I just got a 87 t-type and this my first project car and I have no clue what I'm doing so please help, I found some C5 Corvette rims and tires Front Set: PZ-900 tires 235/45 ZR 17 97W XL, Rear Set: Pirelli tires 285/30 ZR 18...... this is gibberish to me. will they work and if so would I need to do anything to make them fit and please dumb it down

ok so I just got a 87 t-type and this my first project car and I have no clue what I'm doing so please help, I found some C5 Corvette rims and tires Front Set: PZ-900 tires 235/45 ZR 17 97W XL, Rear Set: Pirelli tires 285/30 ZR 18...... this is gibberish to me. will they work and if so would I need to do anything to make them fit and please dumb it down

There backspacing is way different then ours and you will not get them to work without serious modification. Here's a decent read on what all the numbers mean - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

Back