You can type here any text you want

17 x 8 Wheels for C5 brakes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hemi8

Goin Sideways
Has anyone done this brake swap? What wheels worked for you without using spacers (reasonably priced). My thinking is 4.5" backspacing, I am eyeing BOSS wheels but I'd like to know the caliper clearence with wheels that are proven to fit.
Mike

Most 17" wheels will work with the standard C5/C6 (325mm) brakes. Usually 18" wheels are required for the Z51 (340mm) and Z06 (355mm) brakes. GTA wheels will NOT clear even the standard C5 brakes.

Check out the link below to print a template you can use to verify fitment on different styles of wheels. When you print a template, make sure you check the scale on the side with a ruler to ensure they are scaled correctly.

KORE3 Industries LLC: On and Off-Road Performance Automotive Components

If you have any further questions, give Tobin at Koer3 a call. He is very helpful!

Thank you for the advise, but I am unsure how this would help unless I worked for a wheel store and had access to all the wheels that interest me in the BS I think would work? Is there a list of wheel choices that people have had success with on g-body cars with the C5 or C6 brakes?
Mike

Thank you for the advise, but I am unsure how this would help unless I worked for a wheel store and had access to all the wheels that interest me in the BS I think would work? Is there a list of wheel choices that people have had success with on g-body cars with the C5 or C6 brakes?
Mike

If you are set on a particular wheel, you could order one and print and try out the template on it. That way if it doesnt fit, you are only out return shipping for one wheel. There is no list of wheels that work that I'm aware of.

My C5 Z06 has 17's up front as do the other C5's from the factory. It depends on the spokes on your wheels if they will clear the caliper or not. If you are using C5 hubs and rotors then I'd think 17's would fit fine.

In the rear with C5 brakes you should be able to fit a 16" wheel for drag racing if desired.

Yep, plenty of room with 17's. Here's a couple pics of my GN with C5's and 18's. You can see there's plenty of room between the caliper and the rim. If you need me to, I can measure exactly how much spare room there is for ya.

Attachments

• 438.jpg
    438.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 539
  • 253[1].jpg
    253[1].jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 400
What kind of wheels are those? Size? I have read where someone purchased Torque Thrust 2 wheels and they hit the calipers so I would agree it all depends on the wheel design. So, that is one set of wheels that worked, are you and I the only ones using corvette brakes?
Mike

That is such a great looking stance, Jeremy. Those wheels really show off the great job on the brakes!

What kind of wheels are those? Size? I have read where someone purchased Torque Thrust 2 wheels and they hit the calipers so I would agree it all depends on the wheel design. So, that is one set of wheels that worked, are you and I the only ones using corvette brakes?
Mike

My wheels are Intro Pentias. Fronts are 18x8's with 225/40's and the rears are 18x10's with 315/30's on them.

I was running 245/40's in the front but sliced them on the Hot Rod Power Tour becuase I need to re-set my body on the frame, it's a little off so one side rubbed.

The car should be dropped another inch in the front by Spring.

If you want to, I can see about borrowing a buddies 17" Boyd Cottington wheels and mounting them up on my car. Your right though, every rim manufacturer is different as far as how they design their hoops. I was a little nervous about my 15's clearing my rear 11.5 discs becuase the 15's have a hump in the hoop. Luckily though, they just barely clear. the 15's are Intro Pentias too but in the 15" wheel, they dont use smooth hoops like the bigger wheels.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 340
jdpolzin:

what kind of back-spacing you running with those 18x8, 18x10's?

just for the record for us folks debating what to order... and your hind-sight opinion if you had one.

thanks!

Front backspace is 4.5" but the brakes push the wheels out 3/8" roughly. If I were to do it again with these brakes, I'd go with a 4.75" backspace on the front.

The rear is a different story though, I notched my frame so everything would tuck nicely. I also have my fender lips rolled. I have no clearence issues at all and think I could actually go a little wider in the rear but I really dont have a need to. My rear rims have a 5.5" backspace.

Check out the link below to the Kore3 website. It shows the brakes that customers have installed along with the wheel information.

KORE3 Industries LLC: On and Off-Road Performance Automotive Components

I did the C5 brakes on my Camaro and used 17x8 front, 17x9 rear Coys Wheels and everything fit fine.

You may also want to search the forums at Welcome to Pro-Touring.com & G-Machines.com. There are alot of guys who have done the swap on that site.

KORE3 is one of the best companies out there. I spent a ton of time with them on the phone and those guys are top notch!:biggrin:

Regal454,
The Coy wheels you have on your Camaro are just right. I also like the price on those wheels. What size tires do have on the rims? I am glad to hear they do not hit the C5 calipers, I think you just made my decision for me.
Mike

Back