17 X 9.5 with 5" backspacing dont fit!

CopGn

Will I got 17 X 9.5 with 5" of backspacing. Simmons said they would fit and others have said they fit on their cars but on my car it rubbed on both sides. I went with centerline rims who said they would rub I didn't listen. The rims don't hit but the 275/40 are up against the frame. Went with a 1/4 inch spacer and it made a big difference. Haven't driven it yet but will post results if you guys are interested.

Well that is not good news for me , I have 18x9.5 Simmons wheels with 5" backspacing ,that will be here Monday.
On the other hand you can customize the fit between the frame and the fender with the spacer .I kept that in mind .
I ran wheels with 9.5 wheels with 5 bs before with no problems :confused: , I will let you know how mine work next week
Mark

The actual measurement on Simmons rear wheels is 4.75 in. backspace. The one time I called the guy on the phone must of been rushed or something cause he sounded like he didn't want to talk, and told me 5 in. Then when I spoke with Geoff he told me the exact measurements. If you told Simmone you wanted them for a GN they will fit. Goeff told me about a guy that ordered wheels and HAD to have 5 in. in the rear, so that is what he made him. Hope that wasn't you.
You'll need a spacer :)
Tarey D.

Tarey
I am the guy that had to have 5" bs ,I still think it will fit , at worst I will need an 1/8 spacer ,I will let you know , should have wheels and tires this next week :D
Mark

No I went with Centerline and their 5" of backspacing does not fit on either side. I doubt that a 1/8 spacer will do as the 1/4 spacer is cutting it close with a 275/40/17 tire at 40lbs of air.

when i had my 86 camaro i got ROH ZT 17 x 9 1/2 with 5 1/2 backspacing and 275/40/17 sumitomo htrz2 tires. i got rid of the car 2 years ago for a 84 gn and i still have the camaro rims and tires. so i saw this thread and i put the rims on the car and they fit!!! you cant go lock to lock but you can turn onto a side street or driveway. So i am selling the set of 4 mounted and ballanced for $800. when i bought them i paid 1,400 new. they have only 500 miles (2 summers). any other questions e-mail to bigblock532002@yahoo.com

andy

I put My 18x9.5 wheels on the rear today ,5" backspacing , I have 1/4" clearance on one side and close to 1/2" on the other between the tire and the frame , I m not sure why others GN's would not fit the same size wheel.
Mark

Backspacing is from the mounting face of the wheel to the inside of the inner *BEAD*, not to the edge of the rim.

There are ton of places that mis-measure backspacing. Funny, they call a zero offset 9" wide wheel a 4.75" backspacing :rolleyes: but they don't refer to it as a 10" wheel :mad:

Just to straighten that up ;)

Both the Simmons wheel and the centerline wheel measured 5" from mounting surface to the EDGE of the wheel . :confused:
The 9.5" wheel measures more than 9.5" wide ,wheel co.'s seem to use offset rather than BS as the way to measure the wheel .

Originally posted by qwknuf6
Both the Simmons wheel and the centerline wheel measured 5" from mounting surface to the EDGE of the wheel . :confused:
The 9.5" wheel measures more than 9.5" wide ,wheel co.'s seem to use offset rather than BS as the way to measure the wheel .

Offset is a more accurate term because the lemmings who do things "my way" can't confuse people with the inaccurate use of terminologies. A +10mm wheel is a +10mm wheel nowhere you shoppe. Your 5" measurement is most likely 4.98 and your true backspacing is likely 4.75". Simple `nuff.

The aluminum brake drums will give you about a 1/8th to 1/4 of clearance to fit in bigger b.s. rims. I would run these drums not only for this reason, but the fact that they are exactly 5 lbs lighter each than the stock drums. Most of the time, someone (manufacturer or owner) that says these rims or any large rim just barely fit have the alum drums and do not realize they are slightly larger in the face. This is why they just barely fit for them, and not for someone else. I learned this first hand with my 15x10's with a 4.5 bs and 295's.

It looks like centerline measures BS from the mounting surface to the edge of the wheel :

http://www.centerlinewheels.com/wheels_fitment.php?mw_id=1&sw_id=8&size=i_16 x 9-1/2

I had 16x9.5 centerline wheels and they measured 5" from the mounting surface to the edge of the wheel . This wheel was offered in 5" bs and 41/2 bs only .

I also had a long talk with Simmons ,they suggested I go with 4.75 BS, I insisted on 5" bs , these wheels also measure 5" from mounting surface to the inside edge of the wheel , the offset on the 18x9.5 is -6.0 ,I guess that is in millimeters, the front wheel is 17x8.5 and has -11.0 offset , measures 4.25 BS from mounting surface to inside wheel edge .

It seems both wheel company's are using the edge on the wheel for BS measurments .
Hope this helps

Mark

Originally posted by jmd
Backspacing is from the mounting face of the wheel to the inside of the inner *BEAD*, not to the edge of the rim.

There are ton of places that mis-measure backspacing. Funny, they call a zero offset 9" wide wheel a 4.75" backspacing :rolleyes: but they don't refer to it as a 10" wheel :mad:

Just to straighten that up ;)

No it isn't. Your way would make more sense, but nobody said the way backspacing is measured has to make sense.

Backspacing is measured to the back face of the wheel lip edge. Different wheels can have the same size and offset, but a different backspacing measurement. I don't like it either, but that the way it is.