You can type here any text you want

17x10 Backspacing 5 1/2

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BenPutnam

Anybody run 5 1/2 inch backspacing on the rear with a 17x10 inch wheel?

My new wheels hit the frame and the place I ordered my wheels from said it should work unless the rearend has been modified.

All i can tell you is that i have 9 1/2 wheels with 4.75 bs.Tires are 275/40/ 17
with little to no room in the back.

I had to notch the frame to get my 17 X 10 w/ 5-1/2" bs to work.
Couple optoins IMO:
notch the frame
get some spacers
return/sale wheels and get different offset
HTH

Ben, I replied to your PM. I am sure They are wrong on their rear specs.

Good Luck and keep us posted. They should make it right :mad:

Yeah they were definitely wrong about that, 5.5" is too much. Should make THEM pay for the mistake.

I pulled off a 9.5" wheel with a 5" BS, w/ alum drums.......... no mods, no rolled fender lips, 275 tire, HTH

They screwed up and should take back the rims and eat the shipping, the only way that rim would fit would be if it were with a tiny tire.

4.75" would need the aluminum drums for any serious sized tire, 275 is not that huge but my 295/50 just made it with a 4.5" B.S. and aluminum drums.

Post up pics of that please! I was wondering if a 12in Rim could fit, but Im planning a notch anyways.
I'm in the middle of putting the torque arm and pan hard bar back on, should be finished tomorrow. Will take some pics then. Let me know what you want to see. See these threads for some old pics. Since these pics I've lowered the front about 3"about.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...up-gnx-similar-wheel.html?highlight=freeboost

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/232864-personalized-plates.html?highlight=freeboost

Post up pics of that please! I was wondering if a 12in Rim could fit, but Im planning a notch anyways.

Took some pics of the clearance in the wheel well and and along the body to show fitment. There's about 1" clearance. Wheels are 12x17, -42 mm offset with 1/2" spacers. The lip is about 5 3/4". If I was going to do it again I'd go to -54 mm offset and no spacers.

Attachments

• GNX Rear Suspension 001s.jpg
    GNX Rear Suspension 001s.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 279
  • GNX Rear Suspension 002s.jpg
    GNX Rear Suspension 002s.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 275
  • GNX Rear Suspension 003s.jpg
    GNX Rear Suspension 003s.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 277
  • GNX Rear Suspension 006s.jpg
    GNX Rear Suspension 006s.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 252
  • GNX Rear Suspension 008.jpg
    GNX Rear Suspension 008.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 261
Interesting.......... how far does the tire stick out from the wheel well lip? I know how close my 9.5"s are, but another 2.5" of width would really stick out far!!!

What width wheel up front, and what size tire?

FreeBoost - What rear brakes are you running with the GNX suspension ??
Did you have to do a custom mount for the shocks ??

Interesting.......... how far does the tire stick out from the wheel well lip? I know how close my 9.5"s are, but another 2.5" of width would really stick out far!!!

What width wheel up front, and what size tire?

The back tires stick out about 1/2". Would be 1/4" with 1/4" spacer which is all I really need. Remember, I have flares. The fronts are 275-40-17’s on 17x9, -16 mm offset.

The brakes are Baer Track Plus, 13" rotor front and back. Yes the shock brackets are custom but not real complicated. I mocked them up with cardboard and took them to a fab shop to weld /bend. I think I had them made from ¼” plate. The PS that came would have worked except I have ATR springs, which must be a little larger than OEM. The DS wasn’t even close because of the panhard mount.

On the front brakes the Baer studs were too short. The knurl size was larger than OEM and Baer couldn't supply what their catalogue lists. I had the hubs drilled out to 14 mm and had ARP PN 100-7715 studs pressed in.

Attachments

• GNX Rear Suspension 010s.jpg
    GNX Rear Suspension 010s.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 271
  • GNX Rear Suspension 013s.jpg
    GNX Rear Suspension 013s.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0328s.jpg
    IMG_0328s.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 245
Back