You can type here any text you want

1980 Monte Turbo -Carb. Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wrath112

can i get a regular 4bbl carb to slap on there. one from eldabrock or holly or something. would they bolt right up. and since the carb isnt just attached directly to the engine? i believe at the bottom there is a plenum. and thats what the carb is attached too.

so can i buy a new 4bbl carb to put on it. since the one i have is not in the best of shape.

can i get a regular 4bbl carb to slap on there. one from eldabrock or holly or something. would they bolt right up. and since the carb isnt just attached directly to the engine? i believe at the bottom there is a plenum. and thats what the carb is attached too.

so can i buy a new 4bbl carb to put on it. since the one i have is not in the best of shape.

To put it simply...NO! the turbo carb is VERY specific and a normal Q-jet won't work. Please do some reading in the before black section to get a better idea.

To put it simply...NO! the turbo carb is VERY specific and a normal Q-jet won't work. Please do some reading in the before black section to get a better idea.

okay. since u answered the question. i need the bar that links the choke to bbl's 3 & 4. they do not open what so ever. unless you really punch it. then the turbo jurks them down pretty hard. but i was really hoping to "wake up" this monster. where can i get the bar?

I'll see if I can post a pic for you. I've got 1 I still have to tear down and you can tell me which part you need then. If it's what I think it is then you have other problems. I have TONS of Q-jet parts so I might be able to help. Wait until Wensday when I'm off and I'll see what I can do. K?

I'll see if I can post a pic for you. I've got 1 I still have to tear down and you can tell me which part you need then. If it's what I think it is then you have other problems. I have TONS of Q-jet parts so I might be able to help. Wait until Wensday when I'm off and I'll see what I can do. K?

i work until 5. i will get on then if i can
GMT -5

You can use the holley spread bore carb with the appropriate mods for boost and it will ALMOST bolt right on. you need to space it with one of the thick (3/8"?) Q-jet base gaskets. as the secondary arm rubs on the plenum.

An edelbrock can be used but it will require an adapter and are a little more work to properly set up for boost.

Any carb can be swapped onto the carb turbo system, with no serious i'll effects- but the boost mods that cannot be done to all are what seperate the just OK running turbo carbs and the real performers. having that added linear supplemental fuel from boost refrencing is what can allow you to push higher boost and more timing. hence, the Q-jet had a computer controlled enrichment system.

However I have no actual data on there performance, just the ol'butt dyno. But I can report a smoother idle - faster spool and ease of maintenance.

A.j.

it will ALMOST bolt right on. you need to space it with one of the thick (3/8"?) Q-jet base gaskets. as the secondary arm rubs on the plenum.

having that added linear supplemental fuel from boost refrencing is what can allow you to push higher boost and more timing. hence, the Q-jet had a computer controlled enrichment system.

However I have no actual data on there performance, just the ol'butt dyno. But I can report a smoother idle - faster spool and ease of maintenance.

A.j.

where can i get q-jet base gasket and what tweaks would i have to do to the holley carb. to make it run properly with the q-jet?
are there REMAN carbs. from a company?
and is there a upgrade chip for the Q-Jet?
and your saying a smoother idle, faster spool and easier maintence with a new carb. or original?
taking out cat. converter help the turbo out? i have extra pipe i could weld in if i needed to? or would an entire exhaust upgrade for the boost. and how can i cool the baby off. is there a way to innercool it? and how do i know how much boosting?
sorry i am a newbie to this stuff. learning a lot :P

where can i get q-jet base gasket and what tweaks would i have to do to the holley carb. to make it run properly with the q-jet?
are there REMAN carbs. from a company?
and is there a upgrade chip for the Q-Jet?
and your saying a smoother idle, faster spool and easier maintence with a new carb. or original?
taking out cat. converter help the turbo out? i have extra pipe i could weld in if i needed to? or would an entire exhaust upgrade for the boost. and how can i cool the baby off. is there a way to innercool it? and how do i know how much boosting?
sorry i am a newbie to this stuff. learning a lot :P

I got the base gasket, from a pile of gaskets I had, I can get the part number I used if you need it. As for a wide base holley, The boost refrencing mod is all that I found is needed, but remember, I run a stripped out system in a hybrid where hood clearance is of no concern.

I dont know about any reman carbs. Ask Charlie, im sure he could build you one.
dont know anything about chips and Q-jets... thems are my kryptonite.

I have gotten better performance from my holleys than the Q-jets, *** BUT *** that kinda doesnt count, as im sure a properly built Q-jet is just as good. Im a holley guy, and I can make a holley run as smooth as any other because thats what I know. So again, i have no hard data to proove one better than the other.... I just prefer a stripped down very basic and simple system, 2 vacuum lines a fuel line and im done.

removing the Cat will help some, if the old one was plugged to begin with. but removing it entirely, isnt nessacary. with the better hi-flow cats these days the power you might loose isnt noticable. But a better flowing exhaust does help. A wicked great upgrade is to use the stock 86/87 exhaust.

normally no, you cannot intercool a draw thru system, as there is a live "wet" charge in the intake as soon as it leaves the turbo.

Nuthing worng with being a newbie, been there myself... still consider myself a newbie until I hit 10s!

:biggrin:A.j.

as for hood cleanance. theoretically speaking. couldnt i use longer motor mounts? or on the air filtering unit cut the metal or get a smaller one to connect there.

thnx

Got your PM earlier. If you want you could send me the carb for a rebuild and tweek. Nothing special for me but I need some more info from you. There's lots of things you can do to a Q-jet that you can't do to a Holley or E-brock. I've even made one flow more than it should have.:eek: (1100 cfm to be precise) Timing the secondaries is the first thing that I believe needs to be done and it's not hard. You just have to know what you're doing.:biggrin: My bud Greg and I have been working on Q-jets for a long time and I've got about 5 more years on him. Hope you looked at my thread on the turbo designed carb. Even Aj could make one work if he wanted to.:biggrin::tongue:

If you want you could send me the carb for a rebuild and tweek. Nothing special for me but I need some more info from you. :

what kind of information? i will be glad to send it to you for you to rebiuld. how much? however i am using this car as my daily right now cause i just totaled my truck. :mad: :frown: in about 2 weeks (pay day) i am buying my grandma's GEO METRO lol. and parking the car in the garage this winter to do some extra work to it. fix the oil leak, and poss. alcohol inj. do something to get that turbo cooled off so i can turn it up. lol that is the plan so far. but first thing is first, the carb.

what kind of information? i will be glad to send it to you for you to rebiuld. how much? however i am using this car as my daily right now cause i just totaled my truck. :mad: :frown: in about 2 weeks (pay day) i am buying my grandma's GEO METRO lol. and parking the car in the garage this winter to do some extra work to it. fix the oil leak, and poss. alcohol inj. do something to get that turbo cooled off so i can turn it up. lol that is the plan so far. but first thing is first, the carb.

had a geo metro with a turbo on it. was way cool blasting around at 55mph:rolleyes:

A.j.

Labor should be between $150 to $250 depending on what you need to do and what you want as far as mods. Shipping not included of course. Changing jets isn't a problem if you need bigger ones I have them and setting up the timing of the secondaries is part of a basic rebuild for me. Porting the carb is when the price goes up of course. Has the car ben modified or is it stock? Tell me a little more about what you have and what you plan to do so I can get a better idea of what needs to be done to the carb.

Labor should be between $150 to $250 depending on what you need to do and what you want as far as mods. Changing jets isn't a problem if you need bigger ones I have them and setting up the timing of the secondaries is part of a basic rebuild for me. Porting the carb is when the price goes up of course. Has the car ben modified or is it stock? Tell me a little more about what you have and what you plan to do so I can get a better idea of what needs to be done to the carb.

the only thing that isnt stock is that i have a copper fuel line cause it leaked, leaked pretty bad. it was actually like that when i bought it but they did it half way and had to re-do some of it. performance wise everything is completely stock. when i got it engine was a complete mess. i had to plug a vaccuum line with a rubber thing. and when turbo is turned up it likes to get sucked in. idk what its purpose is its the bottom left. (looking at it from the front) so idk what i will be doing there. possiply a hose and a bolt instead of the plug. um. it has nice cragers on it. big back tires barely street legal. in the back. and skinny ones in front. i have the guts of a 3.53 posi trac s10 i will be putting in this winter also.

bigger jets would be nice. so would be porting the carb. trying to wake this baby up. cause as of now ... its slow lol.

lol. turbo on that Peice of Junk? its a 3cyl engine. its a waste of sperm and egg.

yes sir, over seas a Geo with a turbo is a common thing. I was in guam when I had that little bugger.... I wish I had kept the engine from it when the body rusted to the ground. would have made a bitchen go-cart.

the turbo was like the size of my hand holding a beer. ............tiny. LOL

:biggrin:A.j.

the only thing that isnt stock is that i have a copper fuel line cause it leaked, leaked pretty bad. it was actually like that when i bought it but they did it half way and had to re-do some of it. performance wise everything is completely stock. when i got it engine was a complete mess. i had to plug a vaccuum line with a rubber thing. and when turbo is turned up it likes to get sucked in. idk what its purpose is its the bottom left. (looking at it from the front) so idk what i will be doing there. possiply a hose and a bolt instead of the plug. um. it has nice cragers on it. big back tires barely street legal. in the back. and skinny ones in front. i have the guts of a 3.53 posi trac s10 i will be putting in this winter also.

bigger jets would be nice. so would be porting the carb. trying to wake this baby up. cause as of now ... its slow lol.

Part of waking up the engine is the carb but there are several other things that need to be done. Look at the top of the b4black forum and visit the before black website to read on how to make a DIY alky injection system. That will allow you to run more timing. You can also do some other mods Rich has on the site do you need to do a little reading. When you get ready to do the carb just tell me. For a standard rebuild I can do $150 and there will be some mods but nothing radical. Once it's here I'll take a look and see if anything else is needed before I do anything to it. That way you're clear on what needs to be done and the total cost. One other thing to remember is the 80 turbo isn't the best one to make power. The 82-83 turbo works better if you can find one, and if you click on the second link in my sig it will give you another option but it's not finished yet. I'm hoping it will be finished in the next 2 months but I'm just starting to get my finances back in place again. 2 or 3 more paychecks should do it I hope. Then one of the older guys on here will be testing it for me I hope. Thinking about seeing if Freddie will do the testing for me but it may be Aj or maybe Rich. We'll just have to see when I get it done.

Part of waking up the engine is the carb but there are several other things that need to be done. Look at the top of the b4black forum and visit the before black website to read on how to make a DIY alky injection system. That will allow you to run more timing.

so your saying for real horsepower alcohol inject it? will it work for my engine. they only have kits for 86/87 on there website. would i have to fuel inject it 1st?

Back