You can type here any text you want

1981 sport coupe vinyl top removal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Wasnt sure if this is the right forum but i recently purchased a 1981 regal sport coupe in hopes of fixing it up for resale but was wondering what it would take to remove the vinyl.top permanently and would it hurt value being it is a 2 owner all original car? Do u guys have any nice pictures of regal schemes with vinyl tops
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Well from your other post it's got an engine knock and that ain't a cheap fix. How much did you spend on it and how much do you think it'll be worth in the end? It might not be worth what you think it is and will cost more to fix than you're going to get out of it.

Only spent 600 was looking to put.less than 1500 into it possibly. I own bodyshop so i can do paint but never removed vinyl top before I am sure wont be a problem once i get into it but was just looking to get an idea before i get to.it. Was thinking about going with.the all black gn look if it isnt to hard to get rid of vinyl. Hoping to get around 4000 when done depending on how much time and money goes into it but not sure about motor yet might just throw a v8 it

Sent from my LG-MS840 using TurboBuick mobile app

It would be cheaper for you to sell the hood and get a fiberglass one and then throw a V8 in it. 99% of the "hot rodders" out there will eat it up especially they're the usual idiots. Cheapest engine set up would be a junk yard 5.3, the edelbrock intake and an MSD controller, and a holley carb with a turbo 350 behind it. That would be roughly $2K for all the parts if you shop around, including after market motor mounts. Even putting an SBC in it will run you roughly the same. The vinyl top may be a problem when you take it off because they're known to trap moisture under them and rot around the corners. Before you go any further you need to start tearing into it and find out what you'll need to do to fix everything.

As an example, my 83T was started out as a "budget build" which (I thought) would be the engine, body bushings, rear quarters, some suspension work, and a quicky MAACO paint job. What happened from there is now a full frame off because of a bad frame and a bunch of other issues I never expected.:mad: It's one of the real experiments that most wouldn't tackle because it's a carbed turbo car and when I get done I'm hoping to be the first B4balck car in the 10's without N2O used.:D

The hood you've got might be used by someone that needs a decent bulged hood and you could get a scoop hood for about what you sell the stock one for. The "hot rodders" will be looking more at performance and bling than actual power and design. Ever heard a "rumble bee" dodge truck? They look good and sound nasty but don't generally have the balls to pull more than a light trailer behind them. Appearance is 99% of a sale and since most have never driven anything faster than a 14 to 15 second car they'll never know the difference. After all, look at the idiot that's sitting in the white house right now. Those that voted for him thought he looked good but in the long run it's gonna be the biggest mess that this country's ever seen.:mad:

Back