You can type here any text you want

1983 4.1 N/A convert to turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BUICKTR

I bought another Buick a few months ago with only 24K original miles. Bought it form a collector. I was planing to keep it original but I need more power and speed from it. It is a 4.1 N/A and I believe it has a 350 trans in it. I was thinking of upgrading the current N/A motor but not sure how much HP I could do without a turbocharger. I also thought of a 83 carb/turbo setup or just try to convert it to EFI turbo. Bottom line I want more power out of this car and I would like to keep same engine in car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:cool:

I haven't done it myself, but I would probably go the blow-thru carb route if I where adding a turbo to a NA motor. I've been collecting parts to do it one day.

I wrote this up a while ago. http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/blowthru.htm

I'd also get books on turbocharging, starting with "Turbocharger's" by Hugh MacInnes.

You'll probably have to go to a Holley carb to run higher boost, which would mean loosing the ECM control. I've never heard of anyone using an electronic Q-jet with boost. A factory draw-thru would let you keep the ECM. Mines gone 14.71 @93 on a stock motor.

I kept my 4.1 N/A and have run a best so far of 14.58 @93. This was at 4500 foot elevation so it was a decent run. This was installed in a car that is pretty light (2600 lb) so results will be a little slower in a heavier car. Build-up was simple. Stock shortblock, bowl ported heads done by me, Eldebrock intake, holley 600, headers, and a Postons cam. With more compression and more tuning it would be an easy 13 second car even at altitude.

FuzzyGN

I would like more info on this setup. What parts did you need to make it work. Where did you get carb? Was carb already modify to accept turbo application or did it have to be modify. What happens to the vacuum lines and do you use the same 4.1 stock intake. I would appreciate this very much. Thanks!!

E-mail- buickgn274@aol.com

b4black

If you decide to run a blow-thru turbo can I use the factory fuel pump from my 4.1 N/A or do you need to run an electric pump? Does the Draw - thru turbo setup as in the 83 turbo Buick using an electri or mechanical pump? Thanks!!

The car is a Vega Wagon which weighs in at 2480 with a full tank and no driver. It has a 4speed manual with a 7.5 10 bolt and 3.73 gears. Hoosier Quick Times (cheater slicks) 25/9.5/14 provide the traction. I have installed a Richmond locker, rear girdle, and huge rear sway bar. The car is a torque arm set-up so it launches pretty good. Not much else special about the car; pretty simple. Like stated earlier, the engine is also simple. Started with an 83 4.1L shortblock with stock compression pistons. The heads are the same as turbo castings but pocket ported and the runners just cleaned up. Fresh comp valve springs, fresh lifters and adjustable pushrods (RPM killers) ride on a used Postons cam. Not sure of the specs but I think it is close to 280 advertised duration. The intake is a box stock Performer topped with a 600 Holley vac sac. The headers are Hooker Super Comps for the Vega chassis (VERY hard to find). The best run thus far is a 14.58 @ 93 with a 2.03 60'. That run was made with no exhaust, just open headers. That is about it. Almost every single part on the car was either an ebay purchase or came off this board thus almost everything is used! Cam, pistons, clutch, etc all pre-seasoned. Still a bunch left but the current clutch is now done. I guess the 3500 RPM clutch dump on a sticky track was too much for it. I am hoping to get the current engine into the 13's at this altitude. Already ran an altitude corrected (to sea level) 13.8 according to the NHRA correction factors. Very pleased with the small investment made.

The Vega is normally aspirated. I did not use a turbo to get the above results. Not sure I made that clear above. :)

Re: b4black

Originally posted by BUICKTR
If you decide to run a blow-thru turbo can I use the factory fuel pump from my 4.1 N/A or do you need to run an electric pump? Does the Draw - thru turbo setup as in the 83 turbo Buick using an electri or mechanical pump? Thanks!!

The factory DT carb/turbo set up uses a mechanical pump. Fred Carrado went low 13's on a mechanical pump. I'd say the mechanical would work as long as you replace the restrictive, internal fuel filter with a good inline filter.

Erik, that car sounds fun! :D

b4black

I just found a complete 1979 turbo Buick at the local junk yard today. It is a draw thru and a 3.8. Can I use any of these parts on my 1983 4.1 N/A car to convert to Draw thru turbo setup. What main parts will I need? Would I need the computer and carb of the 79 car? Thanks!

'79's a good year. :) It has the high port heads and doesn't use an ECM, so it's a little less compicated than other years. It does use a "Turbo Control Center" which is any early version of a ESC module that controls the timing directly (instead os thru an ECM).

If you could get the complete motor, that would be best. Otherwise you need the exhaust (manifolds, crossover, up and down pipes) the turbo/plenum/carb assembly, the intake manifold and all it's sensors/brackets. Get the distrinutor and turbo control center. It's a lot of stuf, but it all just bolts on.

If you haven't yet, look this over:
http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/conversion.htm

b4black

Thanks! I plan on purchasing the whole complete motor with downpipe, headers, crossover. I take the electronics too.:D

I'm not sure what your intentions are at this point, but I would take eveything you can get your hands on. I am currently finishing up a 84 NA regal cloned to a 82 turbo regal using the 84 NA motor. I wanted to clone the drivetrain 100% and use the 82 dash. What I found was buick made very subtle changes from year to year and the most obvious things wouldn't match up. I'm glad I stripped the 82 as much as I did because I used a lot more than I thought I would of needed. I originally took stuff just to have for spare parts.

Check the threads "I'm cloning and need some guidance" and "Fuel management question for a 82 TRSC". You'll see I had a lot of questions and received some quality answers.

Back