1984 buick grand national ! help!

There's a lot of aftermarket parts on that engine. On paper that sounds good... in real life it's going to be more factors to troubleshoot to get it reliable (and by 'reliable' I mean not 'barfing it's guts out all over the road')

The other thing I noticed is the outside is nice and clean and the engine compartment is dusty. Much like it doesn't get too much preventative maintenance anymore.

The only way I personally would by that car is if I got it for a bargain basement price. That's factoring in that I know every square inch of these cars and know where to find cheep parts if I don't already have them.

If it's your dream to have a GN and haul ass, I would recommend getting one that's already sorted out. Yes it will cost more, but statically speaking, when a newbie to these cars buys a project or a conversion, it usually doesn't end well for the car or the newb.

yah im diggin that interior way more. I found someone who in interested in a trading for my cts but he said the turbo starts smoking cuz it overheats. if I get a GN im just gonna coast and cruise. I had a 67 camaro sold that got a rx7 fd twin turbo ( got plenty of tickets) lol . I want a GN sooooo bad. and im not offended by the kid part but I am 21... I texted her asking for it but she hasnt responded. also if I use a GN as a daily and not abuse it and just coast will i get good gas mileage? ive read they get about 20 if you dont have a heavy foot

A turbo doesn't smoke cuz it "overheats"
It either smokes cuz it is nervous - or it has issues like bearings etc.
Tell that person I call BS on their BS
Tell them Heisenberg said so.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot of aftermarket parts on that engine. On paper that sounds good... in real life it's going to be more factors to troubleshoot to get it reliable (and by 'reliable' I mean not 'barfing it's guts out all over the road')

The other thing I noticed is the outside is nice and clean and the engine compartment is dusty. Much like it doesn't get too much preventative maintenance anymore.

The only way I personally would by that car is if I got it for a bargain basement price. That's factoring in that I know every square inch of these cars and know where to find cheep parts if I don't already have them.

If it's your dream to have a GN and haul ass, I would recommend getting one that's already sorted out. Yes it will cost more, but statically speaking, when a newbie to these cars buys a project or a conversion, it usually doesn't end well for the car or the newb.

Good eye Earl.
I sort of noticed the same thing.
A tale of two cars
Shiny on the outside - rotten on the inside.

And words of wisdom
Now - if I can only get my cars 'sorted out". Ahh..one day maybe...:D

soooo the question is.... if you had 05 cts with 119,000 miles would you trade for this GN? my car on kbb said its worth about 7700 on a good day :)

That Vin is correct for an 84GN and should be labeled as a T-Type.

Yes -we established I was using an 86/87 VIN decoder and I corrected.

Technically, anything with a Turbo is a T type. Sorta.
The titles rarely - if ever - say Grand National.
Never in my case.
Always just Turbo this or T Type that.

soooo the question is.... if you had 05 cts with 119,000 miles would you trade for this GN? my car on kbb said its worth about 7700 on a good day :)

Earl - you wanna take this - or should I? :D
Dood - for the 4th time
Value for value - and I haven't seen your CTS, and I know nothing about this GN - but on paper - me?
Hell yeah.
Now look - Earl and I wouldn't pay 8K - because we're bottom fishers.
But I seriously doubt you're going to get "Nicole" to throw cash into the deal.
So if it is a trade - it seems fair.
Famous last words.
The burning question is Why is "Nicole" so anxious to get out of this fantastic dream car and trade straight up for a 9 year old Caddy with 120,000 miles?
Which reminds me of "Nicoles" Crazylist ad..notice she says "64000 Miles on Odometer"
Ummm..make that 164,000 Nicole. But nice try.

Now me - I dream of GNs - and not Caddys
You?
If you need to get to work and school in it....you're nuts.
But - if it helps - go ahead.
Do it tonight.
Don't hesitate - or have it looked at by a knowledable TR guy.
See you on the General Technical Forum soon. ;)

Was I like this when I was 21? :D
Please tell me no.

Last edited by a moderator:

Again with your comedy.
You're a funny "kid"
KBB..hahaha

But we aren't arguing over anyhting
I said 7 grand or so. Tops based on MMR (I buy my cars during good times like either other people's divorces - or at auction after they missed 3 car payments)
You said 8
We're in that ballpark

will this non- original GN go up in price as the time goes by or is that unlikely ?

will this non- original GN go up in price as the time goes by or is that unlikely ?

None of them go up in price.
Except for maybe GNXs
Quit buying cars like they are stocks.
We need to send you to Financial Class 101 "kid"

You buy this car - and if - if you keep it for 5 years -you won't even begin to know how much money you have in it.
Not even close.

you seem to have a few GN/s if im not mistaken.. maybe you want an 05 cts ? :Dlol

On second thought..ok
I'll do a straight up trade
Your Caddy for this one I had...
Beautiful CF5 moonroof WH1
Just needs a little TLC and some minor body work and paint
Little engine work as well.
And oh - a frame
Taking offers starting at $10,000
Odometer mileage is unknown at this time :p

Attachments

• 2013-08-28 14.24.20.jpg
    2013-08-28 14.24.20.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
Sounds like a personal call to me. Some people wouldn't trade a running car for a a car that may or may not stay running.

Other people hope for the best......

Alright - my work is done here.
Get a pic of the SPID if you need RPO decoding.

Sounds like a personal call to me. Some people wouldn't trade a running car for a a car that may or may not stay running.

Other people hope for the best......

Earl - you know fulll well how this is going to end - or begin.
DannyJov come to mind? :D

alright thanks i will post it as soon as i get it. Also have some faith in me .. jeez lol