1984 buick grand national ! help!

alright thanks i will post it as soon as i get it. Also have some faith in me .. jeez lol

LOL - ummm...sorry - but no! :D
We've seen your type around here before cowboy. :D
But life's about living and learning.
Enjoy it while it lasts!
And welcome to the house of pain.
Otherwise known as TR ownership.

LOL - ummm...sorry - but no! :D
We've seen your type around here before cowboy. :D
But life's about living and learning.
Enjoy it while it lasts!
And welcome to the house of pain.
Otherwise known as TR ownership.

Yo heisenberg! quick question. Ive been reading and i found this in a forum...

"the sequence numbers are the last 6 numbers in your vin number so the sequence numbers for a real 1984 grand nationals should be 550000-570000 because only 2000 gn's were made that year. i based this on alot of info but the best way for you to tell that i am right is to research on ebay of 1984 gn's that have sold or come up for sale in the future the real gn's will always have the last 6 of the vin be 550000-570000 if your last 6 of your vin is not within these numbers you do not have a real 1984 grand national period. its most likely you have a t-type turned into a gn if your sequence numbers dont fall within the range above or worse a regular regal that someone transplanted a gn drivetrain into"

heres my vin...

1g4ak4795eh594745

so this confirms that this car we've been talking about isnt a TRUE GN right?

Man - I don't know about all that.
What forum is that from?

My understanding of VINs is that they were sequential as cars were built.
Now - I know it wasn't totally random, say one GN, then one Regular Regal, and so on.
They would usually run colors or styles - to keep it simpler for the paint or assembly guys
They didn't have all them high falootin robots n shit back then - it was a man's worldf then! :D
But I never heard of assigning a range of VINs to a specific option type - which is what GN's really are - just a set of options.
But I suppose it is possible.
Hat tip to you on researching every 1984 that ever came up for sale on eBay....how freaking long did that take? And is there some sort of freak award for that kind of thing?

Shoot - this would be a Dennis Kirban or Brian Weaver type of question....they know that kind of useless trivia in their sleep.
To you I know - it's not useless to you as you are trying to establish this car's provenance.
Maybe Jeryl knows - he has a killer 84 GN - show car, nice as I have ever laid eyes on.

I'm still curious what you are going to do about it if you find out -
A) - It began life as a T; and was modded to look like a GN ( do you know how many T-types, WH1's and WE4s have been screwed with to make them ....uggghh..Grand Nationals? Too many!
or
B) It really was a GN at some point before it had gender reassignment surgery (new engine type, new interior)
Please don't tell me this is still about future value.
If you get it for $7-8, you're fine.
You should be able to get that out of it in the future. Such as the future is.
Because we're probably going to be taken over by large lizard like aliens from outer space so your car is going to get blasted to bits by a pulse ray gun during the invasion. Or maybe not. I dunno. I started watching the Future Channel - in 2016

But again I say - this car has been modded so much - (no 84 GN Lear Siegler interior for starters) - what does it really matter?
I could call it the Batmobile, but if it doesn't have the signature plastic windscreens and rocket exhaust - it's just another car
What you know it is - is - a Buick, a Regal, A Turbo model, has a nice GN interior, a very good upgraded LC2 powerplant, etc
It's a hybrid car. A modded car.
That isn't a crime.
There are plenty of guys on this board whose cars have been substantially changed or customized over the years.
I still haven't heard about paint quality - but I'll assume good.
For the money - what 7K - 8K - yeah - I think it's a decent deal.
Probably better than I thought the other night.
Just please have the sense to find a knowledgable TR guy help you look at it - BEFORE - you pull the trigger - to your head..
Even if you have to pay a guy 100 bucks to go look with you.
Trust me on this.

Hey - I have a quick question for you if you don't mind.
Do these pants make my ass look fat?

Attachments

• MY NEW PANTS.jpg
    MY NEW PANTS.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:

Well - I read almost of all of that, and all the related links of your 4 or 5 HA GN guys trying to figure out who's car was made sooner, or who's car had a fake tag, or whatever.
And it soon de-evolved into the usual chaos about some guys not even really having a GN, then some guys not even having a Buick, and it makes me dizzy.

And guys talking about having a rare-er car just because it might have been the third one produced in 1984. Well, a little less rare-er than the first two I suppose.
Or this guy's car was made on a Tuesday, in May - so that made It more special.
Ugghhh...who cares about all that.
And some guys mean well, but they say things that they don't have adequate knowledge of to make fact. It's more of a less-than-educated-guess on their part.
If Dennis or Brian or one of the old timers say it - you can usually bank it.

But I did not hear definite evidence about that VIN sequencing.
In fact, I do believe that I read somewhere in that maze of threads that there were guys with VIN numbers outside of that range.

So - again - you have in front of you a 1984 Regal Body, a VIN that verfies that at one time it had a LM-9 Engine, thus qualifying it to be a Turbo Regal, it now has an LC2 engine, and has a 1985-1987 vintage interior.
Nicole wants to trade you straight up - her GN for your Caddy.
Estimated value of each car (according to you two guys) car is $7-8K.
It still sounds like an ok deal to me. Because no cash is actually changing hands. Just metal and paper.
Assuming you're up for the challenge of being a TR owner. So - are you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I just figured out a fun game.... If a "I want you to tell me what I want to hear" thread makes it to page 3, I'm going to jump on board. What'd ya thing, Heisenberg?

since an 84 GN is just a T Type with another trim option package added to it, forget what the VIN says and look at the car and see if it has all the supporting stuff that goes along with the turbo engine that you generally won't see in a non turbo car- overdrive trans... 8.5 rear end... tight ratio steering box... stiffer springs... bigger sway bars..
it's easy to swap a VIN plate and engine to another car to pass it off as something it isn't, but most people don't bother with the rinky dink stuff that you don't see from 5 feet away..

if it all checks out, and you think you are getting a good deal- then trade and be done with it... there isn't anything special about these cars that makes them any less reliable than any other car from the era- i drove the hell out of my T Type the first couple of years i had it without any issues or worrying about being stranded somewhere- but i'd also find a little extra cash somewhere to keep a later model $500 beater around just in case your new 30 year old car doesn't turn out to be as reliable as you'd hoped..

Hey op, I've loved these cars and been entranced by these cars since they were new, had a new '85 and '87. I grew up a 60's/70's hotrodder and you could have a fast car, or a quick car, or something that got good mileage-but seldom in the same car. The GN changed all that. Having said that, unless your Caddy is beat to sh!t and not a viable daily driver, I'd say you'd be a fool to swap it for the CL t-type that may or may not be a gn, that's working on being 30 years old. My 02 cents Merry Christmas
troy