1986 T-Type (runs ok, needs restoration)

ncgreg231

www.turb0buickS.com
I wish it had not come to this, but my economic situation has brought me to this undesirable situation...

Location is Des Moines, Iowa. Asking price is $2785 (but I might be asking too much?) Car was looked over previously by two members already on one previous occasion... mileage approx 237,485.

A 90% unmodified car (just basics, such as K&N, 237reg, chip, adj wastegate, etc) Engine rebuilt once in 1996, but cylinders were not bored, only honed with new rings installed on original pistons. Rebuilt BRF trans installed 2006. Original "open" differential needs one axle-shaft & bearing, but otherwise drives decently.

After owning this car for 19 years and having performed the majority of all maintenance/repairs, I hope to find a new owner that will finally perform all of the restoration I have been unable to complete.

A bit more info that was recently asked...

Edit #1. the driver's floorboard needs replacement, passenger side looks okay. Overall, there is a fairly uniform rusty discoloration on the underbody surfaces, but nothing I would call "chronic" rust (but then that's my opinion of the underbody condition) I bought the car in December 1993, but never kept any detailed notes of underbody rust, although I have spent considerable time under car between regular oil changes, as well as two tranny swaps (in 1999 and 2006). I recall noticing that the driver's floorboard had rusted through and considered adding some reinforcement in that area in 2002, and after looking at it just now, appears as I remember it from 11 years ago. The "rust" history of this car is that it spent one full winter in chicago in 1994. It passed through Chicago again in 2006, but did not have the same salt exposure as 1994 (basically, I drove to Chicago and the car stayed parked most of that time &with no terrible salt exposure and 2 weeks later I departed)

about running condition - IAC might be sluggish, b/c sometimes when cold it will stall out when I shift from Park to drive. On the rear diff, the pass-side axle/bearing/seal needs a new axle half + bearing& seal. It made it fine from NC to IA (about 1000 miles) in November 2011. I'm not sure how low the rear diff oil is now? Boost is turned down to 14psi. Tranny shifts nicely (in my opinion) Over the past 2 years I would try todrive the car about once a month for approx 12 miles on the local street/highways. I started it up on Friday, but didn't get the chance to take it out of the driveway this time...

Edit #2. I just remembered that this car is considered to be "salvage/rebuilt" because (wow... I totally forgot this part...) I am not sure if it was 2001 or 2002, but anyway - the front end got smashed up when a cadillac pulled out in front of me. Also, the tranny mount dislodged and the drive shaft was contacting that bracket that most people remove to install the driveshaft loop. Value was appraised at $6000 with salvage worth of $2000, so with a $4000 payment, I bought a new tranny mount, header panel & bumper and put the parts on myself. This was the second time the nose got busted up on this car, but frame, hood & fenders were all fine!

While I am thinking about it, the previous owner (@1993) replaced the driver's front fender & door after a minor collision and repainted the car. My first collision was Dec 1994 and required a new front bumper and header panel. I got rear-ended sometime in 2003 or 2004, so the rear bumper and bumper fillers were replaced then. I want to mention that the front grille survived both collisions with very minor patching, and even one bird-strike with a low flying owl, but there was a second low flying bird of some kind that managed to remove a few chunks from the grille.

Ack! I just remembered that this car is considered to be "salvage/rebuilt" because (wow... I totally forgot this part...) I am not sure if it was 2001 or 2002, but anyway - the front end got smashed up when a cadillac pulled out in front of me. Also, the tranny mount dislodged and the drive shaft was contacting that bracket that most people remove to install the driveshaft loop. Value was appraised at $6000 with salvage worth of $2000, so with a $4000 payment, I bought a new tranny mount, header panel & bumper and put the parts on myself. This was the second time the nose got busted up on this car, but frame, hood & fenders were all fine!

While I am thinking about it, the previous owner (@1993) replaced the driver's front fender & door after a minor collision and repainted the car. My first collision was Dec 1994 and required a new front bumper and header panel. I got rear-ended sometime in 2003 or 2004, so the rear bumper and bumper fillers were replaced then. I want to mention that the front grille survived both collisions with very minor patching, and even one bird-strike with a low flying owl, but there was a second low flying bird of some kind that managed to remove a few chunks from the grille.

I see no need to remove another TR from the roads by parting it out. So it needs paint, body work, fabric, and a thorough run through. Just like 80% of all the other ones.

I think your price is fair, and I think a summer or winter of "love" can bring her back.

Good luck with the sale. I know its hard to part with these cars.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

84t if you need parts call James. One could build 40 cars from what he has stored up.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I am over in Lincoln,Ne where can I see this car and are you firm on the price?? Are you interested in any trades??

Thanks for selling me the t type... now to get it all sorted out and make it a daily driver...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app