You can type here any text you want

1987 Grand national question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
There are some good points above...you didn't say what your mechanical abilities are?? If you live here in Dallas, there is exactly 1 person that I would allow to do any major work on my car IF I did not know how to do it myself or couldn't figure it out...and that person ain't cheap.
If this is going to be your only car, and it sounds like it is...none of the cars above would be good candidates IMO...nothing wrong with an LS powered vehicle, and even more so if your mechanical abilities are slim....
Just went thru similar thing with step-daughter when she graduated college...she wanted a classic Benz as that's all she ever had driven...she didn't understand about the maintenance of a classic car or how much they would need attention and repairs....but she wanted nothing else...after much thought and trying to change her mind to no end, we got her an '87 SL but only under the agreement that any repairs were hers to deal with and pay for, but I had a mechanic that could work on them...same guy as mentioned above :) Well needless to say, after timing chain issue, transmission issue, oil leak issue and several others she had to pay for ...she either never had a working car, or was broke most of the time... Taught her a good lesson the hard way but at least I was the good step-dad...She now has a Scion TC and the Benz is long gone.

But hey, I bought my GN I have today when I was 22..but was a second car and parents didn't have to be consulted cause I didn't need their help.

forgot to mention i do have a ford ranger as my daily driver.i just want this car to drive on fri-sun ,since driving a ford ranger around the city aint cool...lol

in terms of reliability it really depends on what you start with. if you buy a well maintained car with few mods and its really only a weekend car i say find the right one and go for it. some may disagree but i am of the opinion these cars are no longer daily drivers. but, with a scanmaster, this board as well as help from a fellow buick owner to swap parts for troubleshooting even someone with limited automotive knowledge can fix 75% of the problems you may face. just remember MO' HORSEPOWER MO' PROBLEMS:wink:

Heres what id do if i were you, Ur makin a good choice by getting your hot rod now before you got a bunch of responsibility...Theres good bad and ugly with any car...Id find a nice good running 8 to 10k gn or t type they are out there i paid 8k for mine 7 years ago...First research research research then you will have a better idea of what you are getting into...If you dont have patience then these cars arent for you....

They are unique and they will get you more looks respect and tail than any stang or camaro will... Once you find one you like get a scantool so you know what the car is doing then drive it..DONT RACE IT !!! Not yet Cruise...When these cars are stockish they drive all day...The cool thing about owning one its like having a Hayabusa or a Zr1 ,you dont have to prove to anyone its fast cause people already know its fast!!! There are many many others that have built you a reputation Use it!!!! Take your left over money and buy another car/ truck you can use as a daily driver and keep a $1500 or so around to buy parts if you have a problem...Once you do all this and you have a good understanding of how ur car works and you have another means of transportation then you can race and upgrade your car... Plus you dont want to leave your car somwhere it could get stolen, dented up, or have to drive it in bad weather.. This applies to any muscle car but especially turbo buicks they are a lil finicky and can get real expensive once you start modding them... trust me you will save yourself many many headaches.....

Heres what id do if i were you, Ur makin a good choice by getting your hot rod now before you got a bunch of responsibility...Theres good bad and ugly with any car...Id find a nice good running 8 to 10k gn or t type they are out there i paid 8k for mine 7 years ago...First research research research then you will have a better idea of what you are getting into...If you dont have patience then these cars arent for you....

They are unique and they will get you more looks respect and tail than any stang or camaro will... Once you find one you like get a scantool so you know what the car is doing then drive it..DONT RACE IT !!! Not yet Cruise...When these cars are stockish they drive all day...The cool thing about owning one its like having a Hayabusa or a Zr1 ,you dont have to prove to anyone its fast cause people already know its fast!!! There are many many others that have built you a reputation Use it!!!! Take your left over money and buy another car/ truck you can use as a daily driver and keep a $1500 or so around to buy parts if you have a problem...Once you do all this and you have a good understanding of how ur car works and you have another means of transportation then you can race and upgrade your car... Plus you dont want to leave your car somwhere it could get stolen, dented up, or have to drive it in bad weather.. This applies to any muscle car but especially turbo buicks they are a lil finicky and can get real expensive once you start modding them... trust me you will save yourself many many headaches.....

forgot to mention i do have a ford ranger as my daily driver.i just want this car to drive on fri-sun ,since driving a ford ranger around the city aint cool...lol
Then if you have the means to afford a "play" vehicle and responsible for it, then by all means go for it!
There's a ton of knowledge and help in the local club, doesn't matter how old you are, there is actually some guys younger than you, some a little older that were members since they were 16. You're not going to find anyone probably that knows these cars without meeting up with some club members.
Don't know if Phil was planning to attend the meeting, but if he does he'll probably bring it out..he has some parts I loaned him a while back and I have some TTA wires for him, so there's a good chance he may come out so we can swap parts.

if i can find a GN or buick turbo t for 10k or less in the dfw area in good conditioni would def. buy.

Here is food for thought: If I buy a $10,000 classic car,I will make sure I have another $10,000 set aside to cover maintenance and extensive repair if ever needed.

I'm not sure what your financial situation is,but I certainly wouldn't spend my last dime to acquire a car. Things will arise. You want to stay within your means.

Here is food for thought: If I buy a $10,000 classic car,I will make sure I have another $10,000 set aside to cover maintenance and extensive repair if ever needed.

I'm not sure what your financial situation is,but I certainly wouldn't spend my last dime to acquire a car. Things will arise. You want to stay within your means.

You dont need 10k for maintainence if you are young and you think that way youll never have anything There will always be will bills to pay and other things that are supposedly more important Dont let the domestics get you... I think its quite an an accomplishment that hes 21 and has 10k to buy his car I spent every last dime i had on mine and now here i am 7 years later with three kids (2 mine and one thats mine that i didnt father) and i still have my GN If you learn how to work on it yourself youll save a lot of $$$ If you dont run the snot out of it it wont break all the time either...

Buy what you like while you can as long as you have the car you can always buy your upgrades here and there as your responsibilities pile up or let the car sit if you cant afford to drive it but its waay harder to put the $$ to the side to buy a car once your bills etc are piling up...
Remember its only $$ and if you want to suffer a lil bit to get what you want then do it its not like you are making anyone but yourself go without plus the happiness youll get from owning it will far outweigh the sacrifice....

As I wrote above,the 10k is not just maintenance. Spending less on a car,and setting aside the remainder for problems just seems like a good idea to me. That way it can be fixed and kept on the road. ...and keep enjoying it rather than wondering where the money is going to come from to be able to drive it again.

maybe you should help me out since you been through this situation before.

I am helping you out...lemme break it down for you.

You can do anything you want as long as you put the work in. No one has a magic answer for you. Trust us, buying the car is not even HALF the equation. I wouldn't drop 10 large on anything I didn't absolutely research myself. So my advice is take a breather, don't rush, read and learn from others experience. Lucky for you it's all here documented for your pleasure. The information you need to make the best decision you can is here for the taking.

Then, when you are ready, post back here and ask specific questions about worth, combo's, value and what you should be looking for. At that point, you'll actually understand what people are talking about and their answers will help you make a better decision.

Search...here are some recent examples of threads where people have asked the exact same questions as you. Leverage the board. Don't wait to be spoon fed.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/338384-about-buy-turbo-regal.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/322067-possibly-buying-87-one-owner-car-few-questions.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/321399-need-your-opinion.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/307499-newbie-looking-87-gn-t-type-nj.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/253309-need-advice-buying-gn.html

Here is my opinion for what it's worth.

I was 15 in 87 and I was about to get my license and wanted a GN but couldn't afford it obviously. After I graduated and started making money I got into drag bikes and put the GN dream aside. Joined the Navy and spent 9 years in the Navy. I got out in 2005 with a wife and kids still having the dream of owning a GN. I did my research and talked to a friend of mine that is a officer in GS chapter here in Indiana and got all the info about the car before I had the money saved up. Once I had the cash then I started making the calls on the ones online. I found my 87 GN online and it had 85,000 miles and was in great shape with the only mod being a Reds chip. The car has had a few minor problems but my thoughts were to get one without the mods and learn as I go on this board and from my friend.

From what I gather from your posts, you are dead set on a turbo regal. Get one but do your homework. Don't rush headlong into a car you are going to cuss at. Once you find one remember how long it took to earn the money to buy it and think if you want to get the most for your money! Crawl under over and all around the car looking for problems. Ask your self before handing over the cash if it is going to need new tires, exhaust, brakes shocks or any other part that could cost over $500. Don't just kick the tires and hand over the cash.

Just my 2 cents....

try to find a mostly stock example,most modded are that way for a reason.dont jump on the first one.if you really love them get one.there are a lot of options in this market for a good performance car.when i graduated, my boss had a new 87 gn,he would throw me the keys and let me drive it,thats why i am hooked .in 87 it was the coolest thing on the road.these cars are a little dated by todays standards.after a year of looking i purchased a 30k mile near perfect gn.i take my wife to look at it ,she comments,is it a monte carlo,then throws up her hands and says i dont get it.in your case,lots of i dont get it.it is a special car,not sure a lot of your friends will know what it is.:wink:

so i should stick to a stock GN?right
if its gonna be cheaper. the only problem is Gn are so rare and i hardly see them on sale here in dallas.and if they are they want 12k plus. with what ya told me ,ya said i can find a stock Gn for under 10K which to me is hard to beleive.have ya bought a car from someone on here from a different state and had it actully shipped out to you?

Well 10k won't get Phillip's car, but there is no doubt it is one of the best built TRs around, you will not find one nicer for the price and no further mods needed. Can't say that 10k would get a nice car to my standards anyway, they haven't gotten that cheap yet. Maybe go talk to Billy, he's got a whole lot full of them, was just by there the other day, my neighbors business is directly next door to his shop...but from what I hear Billy work ain't what it used to be.

Well 10k won't get Phillip's car, but there is no doubt it is one of the best built TRs around, you will not find one nicer for the price and no further mods needed. Can't say that 10k would get a nice car to my standards anyway, they haven't gotten that cheap yet. Maybe go talk to Billy, he's got a whole lot full of them, was just by there the other day, my neighbors business is directly next door to his shop...but from what I hear Billy work ain't what it used to be.

so phils car is top notch?..no need to work on it.just keep it nice and well maintained? whos this billy guy you are talking bout?

You're in the same boat I am. I'm 26 and looking to get a relatively stock, reliable, and clean interior '87 grand national to drive around. I know they can get terribly fast but I just like the car and wouldn't want to get anything on it to make it less reliable. Just exhaust and keep it looking brand new.

You're in the same boat I am. I'm 26 and looking to get a relatively stock, reliable, and clean interior '87 grand national to drive around. I know they can get terribly fast but I just like the car and wouldn't want to get anything on it to make it less reliable. Just exhaust and keep it looking brand new.

exactly as long as its stock ,and the body is nice with no rust.i would buy.i can always haved it modded later on.but right now just want to drive around on the weekends.

It always pays to be patient. I waited for the right one. Mine was found on Craigslist,put in there by a businessman who made some bad business deal and needed money.

If you by chance choose to have a modded one,make sure to have it thoroughly checked out by someone who knows these cars.

I looked at a modded one. The owner threw money in it for speed,but did nothing to increase structural rigidity. "yeah...the roof is supposed to be buckled like that. That happens to the fast ones." Really???

so phils car is top notch?..no need to work on it.just keep it nice and well maintained? whos this billy guy you are talking bout?
It needs nothing, its been kept in very nice condition its entire life...if your serious about getting a TR then you need to come out and meet the folks that know everything there is about TRs at our meeting, you will not find them else where. Billy Duke...you really have not done your homework if you have not heard of him around the DFW area, he has a shop over in north FTW, has at least 2 dozen TRs there...but If I need TR work, it goes to Rowlett to Jack at JL Enterprises, even though Billy is just 10 minutes away..get my drift.
Phil just drove that car on the Hot Rod Power tour last year..his wife is going to drive it up to the TType/TTA reunion this summer.
Now who did you have to help you out in Dallas to look at that original car??

Back