You can type here any text you want

1987 Grand national question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
agree with everyone above, Get more info on it before throwing 13k down.
With today's muscle car sales, offer him 8 at best if stock and good to mint condition. Now if the car is in facted built maybe 10k, 11 only if fully restored and built. Prices always are up and down but it's your money. I use to sell cars for a living/owned a car lot. He can wait for his price all he wants, give him something he knows he should take and you make him think about it, not other way around. You could also knock the price down with a trade in(most likey get 1-2k for it depending on miles,year,model etc) but will help knock down the price for you.(if you have a old spare beater/car around) What he will do with that is sell it x2 or trade it/sell it at the car auction. That's if he is willing to take it. I myself have always done this, reason is to always kept things moving, selling. You never want a "special intrest" car (muscle,classic etc) to stay on the lot more then a year or two.

Just at looking at it, I will say semi mods, chrome intake with cone filter maybe, no scan tool, no chip, stock turbo and IC, hell might even have a V8 with turbo 400. Get some pictures. I wouldn't pay no more then 7 myself maybe 8 my 2cents.

I don't think 12k is a bad price for a 87 GN in good condition especially if the interior and body is in very good condition. If it was a T-type I think 6-8k would be reasonable. At least that's more the normal in the SF bay area. I've seen them numerous times close to 20k.

Listen to these guys on here bub!!! They will not screw you over like a car salesmen.. Yeah there are cares going for 17k but there low mileage beauties or hopped up street car!!.. 12.5 with no list of actual mods.. no pic od the rpo codes. no underneath pics.. no door jam pics... Stock motor? If not who the rebuild!!! You need to find a legit guy from this board to check the car out.. Not some scam artist that thinks the way a salesmen does.. Take your time!! Dont rush... There are alotta nicer cars for less money if not the same price that people onthis board can vouch for !!! You could be buying a ticking time bomb.. If it sells.. consider ur self lucky.. Ive heard plenty of horror stories about instinct buys and taking someones word.. Then there dumping 12k into the car that they paid 8k for..Good luck!!!

Car has the logo plate on the front that we designed...assuming car is in NJ and based on the time of the year the market is soft on buying a car like this in the winter time.

Before you get excited ask to see under the trunk lid to see if car has the trunk ID label that contains all the codes and vin number matching the car..code for a real gn is we2 all codes will be in alphabetical order.

I wrote a 200 page book on what to look for...be sure to look past the shiny paint...if modified extensively could be very difficult to pinpoint any engine issues down the road.

I have bought and sold enough of these to know what I am talking about.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I bought mine in July for $8,700. It's rustfree,*was* unmolested mechanically,and has a decent old repaint,recent vacuum brake swap. T-tops. It was owned by a GE Exec. 82,000mi. Clean.
Negatives: Chapman alarm,bogus aftermarket stereo and gaudy mudflaps,small dent in the hood. Oh...and all of the brake light bulbs were removed because the switch had fallen out. Duh!

The '87 GN I looked at before that was really tampered with,was dirty,the engine was filthy with oil,allegedly ran 11's and had minor rust.

I looked under the back of the car. It was LOADED with shreds of rubber. He wanted 10k. I'm glad I passed.

There's a few examples.

And to really put the icing on the cake : Do you know how to turn a wrench? If not you will put another $12,000 in that car your looking at in parts and mechanic bills. Do your homework on these boards first before you jump into a GN. Its not a camaro with a 350 and a 4 barrel. These are different animals....

I bought my GN from a board member here and his continued help has been invaluable. He knows my car better than I do and is always eager to lend advice. You're not going to get that from a used car lot. Now if there was a way you could contact the previous owner and find out what's really going on with the car you would be ahead of the game. Cuz the salesman aint gonna no jack squat and he'll tell you anything to get rid of it.

do these cars break down easy?im not going to be racing it,just going to use on fri-sun.

Break easy? Ha! The only way to break one is to hit something! And the funny thing is they aren't even finnicky and don't even get me started on how easy they are to tune!

if thats the case why so many people wish to own a GN?...there has to be something positive about owning a grand national. when you mean breakdown,do you mean something with the motor or trans?...or just small stuff?

There's something about owning a 25 year old car that cam smoke any modern day muscle car you are willing to line up next to it. Don't get me wrong classic Chevelles and Camaro's are cool but nothing beats the look of a all black turbo Buick

Break easy? Ha! The only way to break one is to hit something! And the funny thing is they aren't even finnicky and don't even get me started on how easy they are to tune!
lol... nothing like telling the truth:p

are you being sarcastic?
im trying to learn as much about this car before i buy.

Back