You can type here any text you want

1987 Grand National

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jhixon

1987 Grand National. Less than 32,000 original miles. Have owned for 20 years. Have all paperwork including window sticker and bill of sale from original owner. Purchased from Loren Buick in Glenview Illinois on December 23rd, 1986 for $24,425.87. When I mean all paperwork, I mean down to factory recalls, pre-delivery inspection procedure, welcome/thank you letter from S. Buchanan, and the GM protection plan info.

It is a very heavily optioned Grand National:

Factory astroroof, power windows, power drivers seat, power locks, power trunk, cruise control, concert sound II, twilight sentinel, cruise control and electronic dash. Paint is original and in good shape.

Upgrades include TA49 turbo, 37lb injectors, terry houston downpipe, and ATR pitbull exhaust. Have stock parts that will either go back on, or go with the sale for the right buyer. Have collected numerous NOS parts over the years, but have no intention on selling before the car. Prospective buyer will have choice of any, all, or none.

**** Best Offer. Cash Only. $22,500.00 ****

Located in Plainfield, Shorewood, Joliet Illinois area (Southwest of Chicago about 35 miles)

Best way to reach me is jhix.gsx@comcast.net

I've been to Bowling Green with it at the Buick Nationals well over 10 years ago and am also listed in the Buick GS Club of America 2005 Membership directory under "Hixon".

Reason for selling... 32,000 reasons. One being that I simply don't drive it enough and it should go to a home in which it will be cared for, shown, driven, and perhaps raced on occasion.

-John

P1030080a_zps493ed8b6.jpg

P1030104_zps0d0a2389.jpg

P1030101_zps95af3d0a.jpg

P1030092a_zps67415a28.jpg

P1030090_zpsf56a1bdd.jpg

P1030087a_zps22452ced.jpg

P1030083a_zpsa9b26c17.jpg

P1030095_zps5f8cc6c5.jpg

Found an old picture in race trim -- circa 2000 or so.

Used to frequent gnttype.org back then. Spec's when it was featured as "car of the month"
(I no longer have the Phillips Colorbright black headlights. One burnt out, and I couldn't find a replacement. Sold the remaining three).

Motor
  • Stock block
  • Stock heads
  • Motor has never been apart.
  • TA49 turbocharger
  • Terry Houston 3" Downpipe with "test" pipe
  • 37lb Injectors
  • Hemco modified 62MM upper Plenum
  • Stock Throttle Body
  • Plugged throttle body coolant lines
  • Walbro 340 In-Tank fuel pump @ about 43lbs static pressure
  • Stock location Intercooler & a half
  • Removed one screen from MAF
  • Relocated Air Filter to under front air dam with 4" duct work ("Tylco Tinman system" )
  • 26 degrees of timing in the Lubrant chip set for full injector pulse width
TransmissionRear End/Suspension
  • GM Hydromatic 200 4R
  • Torque Converter Lock-up switch (stock tranny & converter)
  • 26X11.5 M/T ET Streets & front runners on Weld Dragstars
  • Passenger Side Rear Spring Airbag
  • Line Lock
Interior/Exterior
  • Mechanical gauges for critical functions
  • Astroroof
  • Digital Dash
  • Concert Sound II
  • Digital Dash
  • Phillips Colorbright black headlights. DOT legal & not tinted.
  • Twilight Sentinel
Performance
  • Best 11.87@ 113 MPH with ~23lbs of boost

John_Hixons_zps32a50f1c.jpg

The market kind of sucks right now...You have a very nice car and I would not budge on the price if you can hold out. GLWS

Bryan

Thanks Brian. Yeah, I've noticed. It really says something about our economy and the last 1o-15 years being a "lost generation".

Take a 1970 - pick your muscle car -- say with a original sticker price between $4-6K -- In the same shape as some of our GN's and T-Types. you couldn't touch it under $25K -- even today (Skylark GSs, Chevelles, Novas, Camaros and the like).

Then take a 1987 Grand National that the dealers were not budging from sticker on back then -- with some guys easily putting $10-15K into simply maintenance and bolts-on over the last 26 years -- keeping them meticulous, and they are lucky to get $15-18K out of them.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is more of a disease than a hobby and I didn't personally ever look at this as an investment... It's just an odd time.

For what it's worth -- and for the record...

My daughter is turning 15 and tells me she wants to race. She is now my "crew chief" and helps with all the fundamentals from tire pressure to lining me up in the water box with my GS. The idea was to take some of the proceeds from this sale and build a more purpose built High School/Sportsman class car. If I don't find a buyer in the near future -- (and I'm not desperate to do so) -- this bad boy is getting set back up for track duty and my little girl is going to go out and open a can of Whup Arss on a bunch of unsuspecting folks in 2014 --- V6 Turbo style... ;)

Well, my .02 cents is like this, i always wanted a GN and finally bought one. I found one in decent shape,with 127k miles, nice interior,original paint but is checking on the hood and fenders. Pretty much original. No rust. I paid 11k. The reason i describe it that your car is in much better shape and i wouldnt budge on the price. The more we budge on the price, the less we will be able to get for them if we ever plan on selling. I dont plan on selling but i wouldnt mind getting back what i put in it. 6-7 years ago, i couldnt touch one for 11k unless it was one that needed alot of work. These cars are worth more and we should realize that. This is my opinion.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Woww nice car. Worth every penny especially such a high optioned gn. If I didnt pick one up a lil while go id be all over it. Glws!

I've been lurking this forum for a while as I will soon be in the market for a GN, I have a back with silver stripes viper ACR a Paxton supercharger tuner kit , with all the upgraded components, that will easily give me 850rwhp, can make 1000 on my forged stock bottom end, but I think leaving some room is a good thing.
My pro street turbo busa is being finished as I type this, the motor / trans etc has been be redone from scratch to support 600rwhp, I'm going to limit it to the 430's.

I know I will never get the money back in mods, so I will be keeping both car and busa( the car is 1 of 26 made in the model and color , 1st year for the ACR , last year for forged internals)

Good luck with sale, it will be the type of car I'm looking for, its really tempting, cause I know how close you are to me, and I wouldn't low ball you with a pitiful number, that most people do.

Good luck with sale, I have my eye on your car, and I do thinks on impulse sometimes, one thing is for sure my next car will be a GN that doesn't need any work, the most I would do to your car is upgrade the turbo, fuel system, intercooler, and tune( obviously some mt dr's), any GN I buy must look like yours and run mid 10's.
My two other machines aren't exactly sleepers, the GN will be.

Thanks 99viperacr - Getting a GN in the 10's isn't that difficult while still keeping a stock appearance. Be impulsive. I'll even give you a "recipe" to use for easy 10's and track it for you too... :rolleyes:

For you and others who have asked, I've taken more pics and uploaded to photobucket. http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/jo091009/library/

So folks don't think I'm attempting to pass off the "perfect car". Note the paint shrinkage at lip/edge of hood near windshield. This is not due to rust, but will still need to be addressed. It is the only paint issue with the car. There is no checking, cracking, or shrinkage anywhere else. Also the headliner and visors are showing the tell tale signs of needing replacement. I'll likely get that done via Brian at Gbodyparts.com. Regarding a way to certify mileage -- Illinois does not do inspections, however I found three old emissions test certifications that logged mileage (rounded). Upon review you'll find that between 1999 and 2006 I put on 3,ooo miles. The car is now exempt, but my driving habits have stayed the same.

I've also taken pictures of the undercarriage -- and no -- there is not "tire shine" all over it. I have (and plan to continue) to regularly WD40 and wipe down the underside. I do have a lift, so any buyer will be able to inspect whatever they are inclined too. For a Midwest car, this car is extremely clean and has been well taken car of, but make no mistake -- although not driven long distances or durations -- it has gotten driven. It's not a museum piece.

Ebay is next so I can see what a larger audience/market might think. I just saw one go for $20K that had a salvage title...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buic...0452519?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac60f0327

very nice car! too bad it was a bit out of my price range, but here is a bump for you!

SOLD! Thanks for everything, John. I really appreciate you spending time with me to explain everything, taking the time to deliver her, and the way you've cared for the car over the many years you owned the car. I assure you that you've found a good home. I'm already looking for lifts for the new garage and can't wait to get to my first local cruise night.

Back