1st time Turbo G car owner

speed_dawg

OK guys (and gals?) I'm about to undertake a project taking me into virgin territory. The car is a 78 Regal Sport Coupe with the original turbo 6 and drive train. It's an original, unmolested 68k car, pretty solid but was owned by obvious morons that knew nothing about maintenance, so it's pretty tired.Being a Ford and Mopar man myself, I'm pretty much starting from jump street as far as tricks, tips and the common quirks and problems associated with this line of cars.Being a gearhead, it wasn't hard to figure out the potential it has, not only from a performance standpoint, but value as well. From what research I've done thus far, I've found that it's the first year in the turbo G platform that ended production in 87 with the GNX's. It has the 4 bbl (upon checking #'s, it's the correct carb) which again on checking, seems to be the lower production quantity that year compared to the 2 holers. Here's where I am looking for some input... I'm planning a stock rebuild on the motor, except the turbo, fuel system, ignition and exhaust, going all aftermarket in those areas of course, but keeping all original equipment in storage. Any suggestions on other minor changes motor wise? I want to deviate some from stock, but not so far that I can't return it to stock specs in the future should we make that choice. The drive train is original, which I plan to fab up a nine inch to pop in, assuming of course it's more cost effective to do it myself rather than buy a new 9 inch housing pre welded with mounts. The tranny is still up in the air, but as with the powerplant, I want to keep the option open to return to stock.. Thinking about stealing a cue from the 87 gnx and adding a ladderbar like some (if not all, I dunno about that) came with from the factory. Luckily, about 99% of the trim, badges, moldings and other detail pieces are present and intact. That's about it in a nutshell, looking for some ideas, tips and tricks along these lines, and since like I said this is my first experience with Buick's turbo G cars, I figured where better to poke around than with some of the fanatics and see what shakes loose. Also interested in finding out about some upcoming shows, swap meets, etc. related to Buicks. I'm in Des Moines as of now, but soon to be relocating to St Louis. Anything constructive here would help, thanks guys.