You can type here any text you want

2½" Downpipe

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
OK, four bolts good. :)

And Brent in the Hot Air forum reminded me of GNTTYPE.org's picture guide (D'OH!)
84/85 Turbine Housing

Looks very similar. The housings aren't exactly the same, but it sure does look like the elbow's bolt pattern is the same. Maybe I need to get a Hot Air elbow.......and picture to see if the turbo's location is the same.

Buick did a good job of keeping things interchangable from 78 to 83, even though they had quite a few changes. I won't be completely surprised if this works. This could be a BIG. Thanks Buick83-T for bringing it up. :D

OK, here are the dimensions. (Top, Bottom, Front, Rear bolts)

Top-Bottom = 120mm
Front-Rear = 70mm

This makes a diamond that is nearly twice as tall and it is wide. If you look at the picture of the 84/85 turbine housing, it looks more square. I tried lining up a 86/87 elbow flange (THDP) and it's the same way. Three bolts fit, but the fourth (front) isn't close. I think this is a no go. Damn! :mad: :(

turbine housings?

Could the turbine housings be swaped? Does'nt the 84-85 have the same center section as ours?:confused:

They have different part numbers (the center), but what the actual difference is, I don't know. If the 84/85 turbine housing were to fit, it wouldn't have the mounts for the brackets. Not a huge problem, but the housing would need to be supported somehow to take stress off the center section.

If the Center section is different, the next thing is to see if the 78/83 compressor housing would fit the 84/85 turbo (but I would guess that either both or neither housings would interchange).

Also, there is one more thing to check on the elbows. If three of the four holes line up (I think they do) AND the wategate puck as well, then maybe an adpater/block off plate would work.

Anybody have a cheap 84/85 turbo? ;)

I should have my hands on a 84 elbow by the 1 of the year. I will try to bolt it to my old turbo and see how it fits and let everyone know. I will try and get my hands on a complete 84/85 turbo and see if it can be adapted to us when I change my head gasket(turboside).

Jim

Back