You can type here any text you want

2 Questions in One

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
see guys Im taking your advice. I did an oil change on my car today and I took it to ford, and they put on a Motorcraft oil filter... It took us AN HOUR to take it off, we had to take a welder to it, stab it with a screwdriver, hammer it off you name it (they didnt put oil on the damn seal:mad:) I bought a K&N oil filter... and some mobil 1 5000 mile oil from Auto Zone and put it in the car, but A guy who supposably worked at jiffy lube told me that it is better to run Dino Blood in it than synthetic. I think that my car needs the lubrication of synthetic. He said to slowly ease up on using synthetic and slowly go back to dino blood DOES that sound right?

Also what kind of oil should I put in the rear end? That could be the reason why I hear a rattling sound sometimes... its my gears goin out:eek: And I CANNOT afford a new tranny. If it breaks, the car goes to the junkyard, or it gets the SFI treatment that Ill talk about in a bit.

If you decide to run DINO oil the you need to get a supply of ZDDP from Kirbans. The current oils are lacking to say the least. The ZDDP will keep you from trashing the cam and motor.

Leave the Mobil 1 in there for now. Your engine would be fine with regular 10w-30 dyno oil in the future.... The engine already has tens of thousands of miles on it using that stuff. Changing to an expensive synthetic isn't going to make a difference now, 17 years later. Just do regular oil changes, that's the most important thing.

Like Charlie said, use the ZDDP additive with every oil change.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge on the car? That's always a good idea.

BTW...you said that guy 'worked' at Jiffy lube.....did they fire him??? And your taking his advice??? LOL :D:D

i did at first, but i haven't driven my car in a while i am fixing it now it doesn't have anything to do with the oil me fixing the car. it just cost alot i dont realy know if its worth it.

Save your money and just run a good non-synthetic motor oil and an STP or Delco filter. Get the one that cross-referances to the larger PF-52. The extra money for the K&N and Mobil isn't worth it in you car. Reconsider them once you start pushing out 400+ HP... ;)

None of my cars are even special enough to get synthetic, or even royal purple for that matter:rolleyes:;)

83 turbo-you might be lucky to see an extra 3hp at the wheels with all synthetic. You can make a stop at a rest station for a #2 and make that gain for free;)

The rattling sound you hear could very well be your exhaust or dry/bad u joints.

But yes, I would change out all your fluids and filters to get top performance. It's the best way to stretch a dollar spent on a car. I would put synthetic gear lube in the rear, the rest I would just standard stuff.

I have royal purple in my 78 and it ran much better when I put it in, but it might have been the 20-50w I had in it before that was slowing it down:biggrin: Its diffidently not cheap, but if your looking for performance... nothing is:rolleyes:

Back