You can type here any text you want

20 plus years on setting WANNA START IT HELP PLEASE

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ttaowner

so when i bought my trooper t cop car it had a screwed up engine it was bought this way from the police auction in 1991. the people who i bought the car from bought a good low mileage engine for that car in about 1991-1992 so engine # 2 which probably has less than 20,000 miles on it i would like to get it in a car and get it started.

i am gonna replace the valve cover gaskets, rear main seal and oil pan.
probably not a bad idea to do the timing chain while its out.
repack the oil cavity and prime the engine.

i dont really want to pull it apart any further than this if i dont have to.

is there are real reason to yant the intake? wuld that gasket leak to? i am planning on beating the crapout of this thing.

will the lifters and cam give me a problem ? or no since they have been run before? i know obviously put some zddp in it i guess?

should i wait to swap valve springs til after its been run that way its a little easier on the cam?

any other ideas or suggestions appreciated THANKS !!!!!

ALSO I HAVE A FEW CARS THAT HAVE BEEN SITTING LIKE 5 YEARS DO I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THEM LOSING PRIME ON THE OIL PRESSURE OR WILL THEY BE OK? THIS IS NOT RELATED TO THE ABOVE ENGINE !!!I PREFER NOT TO YANK THE CARS APART IF I DONT HAVE TO PRIME

my car sat on a used car lot for 13 years with a blown head gasket... all i did after replacing both head gaskets was crank it over with the fuel pump fuse pulled to prime the oil pump, then put the fuse in and start it up. of course i changed the oil before starting it.

Remove the plugs and spray some wd40 down the cylinders.

Prime the pump via the cam sensor

Rotate the engine via hand while priming. This will help remove and residue from the bearing surfaces, unstick any crap from the walls and lube the journals.

All this with a fresh oil, dino or synth...

Then start the sucker up!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

In my experience engines that sit for a long time develope a scammer residue from the remaining oil. I would suggest a couple no load warm ups and then 1 or 2 oil changes. The lifters are particularly susceptible to this gumming, though I can't say that I have had a failure due to it.

I'd put in fresh oil n filter and prime it just like a fresh rebuild(pak pump as noted above). I think I would put some trans fluid in the spark plug holes to loosen up the rings. I think a stuck/broken ring could be a problem. My grandfather told stories of a 4x4 piece of wood and a BFH to get tractor engines unstuck but I doubt yours is stuck.
Then break it in as suggested and change oil n filter and run it. Might even spring for some of that brad Penn oil if you have deep pockets.
Id cut open the filter and hope I didn't find anything serious. If not dump in the good fuel, crank up the boost, n let her rip.

Just start it. It'll take less time to crank it than to read all the replies.

a friend of mine bought a 40,000 mile gn off the original owner about 5 years ago the original owner had it turned sideways in the arage so he could fit more cars in the garage and after that never used it or moved it for like 15 years. well the guy decidd to sell the house and had to remove the car he threw a battery in the car and started it up and shortly there after started knocking. he sold the car for a huge loss because it now needed a engine rebuild. my buddy was able to do all the work of removing engine cutting the crank and throwing freshbearings in etc...

i dont want to deal with this scenario this is why i am asking questions

treat it like a fresh motor put new oil on it prime it with a drill via cam sensor for a few minutes ,good idea to ad some transmission fluid into the heads to loosen up those lifters etc.Let ir run for a little bit make shore everything is ok then change the oil with some fresh one.

Dump the oil and put fresh in. Pull the oil cooler lines off the radiator and fill them full off oil. Crank it until you see some oil running in the valve covers. Now you don't have to pull the cam sensor. You can thank me by sending me a pair of nice electric window regulators. I'll pay the shipping(y)

Back