20" wheels

Silentway

Will 20" wheels fit the GN without the need for air shocks or heavier springs. Also whats the down side to 20s or would you suggest 18s. Whats the ride like on both 18's or 20's. Looking for opinions.

20s fit with the right backspace, and size tire. 17s and 18s ride good for me. HTH

I have 18s and I like the ride quality a lot more than I did with the stock wheels and tires. Sure, going over railroad tracks with the bigger wheels can be a bit rattling, but other than that, ride quality feels the same if not better. I'd stick to 18s, 20s make a Buick look like a hotwheels car. :(

Tire size

What size tires would you guys recommend to avoid rubbing? Also would a 1 inch to 1.5 inch adapter be good enough?

wheel

hi ,i have a set of 20 "back and 18" front whit one kit of lower spring,spendle and shock .....i very like the look and the handling :biggrin: if you want to see what my car look go to my link on my signature........tybob ;)

I love my 20"....looks and drives good!!!! I got 1inch springs around it too....

What size adapters

What size adapters did you use/ are your rims 20mm offset and where did you get you lowering springs?

Silentway said:
What size adapters did you use/ are your rims 20mm offset and where did you get you lowering springs?

The size of the adapter you'll need depends on how far off the offset is from being "correct" for your car. For example, my wheels came with a positive 38mm offset, and GNs like zero offset or slightly negative. 38mm comes out to about 1.5inches so I bought 1.5in adapters and made the wheels fit as though they had zero offset in the front, and 2" adapters in the rear to make them look staggered. So, it depends on the wheels you're getting.

Turbo6Chicago said:
I have 18s and I like the ride quality a lot more than I did with the stock wheels and tires. Sure, going over railroad tracks with the bigger wheels can be a bit rattling, but other than that, ride quality feels the same if not better. I'd stick to 18s, 20s make a Buick look like a hotwheels car. :(

very true, the 20 make it look like a toy and not a classic hot rod, plus the ride is crapy, i had 20 wheels when i first got my gn and it rode like s@#t, i sold them 2 weeks after i bought them, stick with some 18 or 17, they look just like 20 if your lower it :cool:

20" fit fine, most people wont lower it much on them, so it makes them look taller, and toy like IMO also. There is gonna be a small sidewall, so be prepped for a firm ride, HOWEVER, quality susp components will help ALOT. If you like the soft OEM ride , dont lower it or do big wheels. 20 year old springs vs quality tuned lowered products are night and day different and what some ppl call harsh is just removed OEM slop, and real road conditions. (Remember tires and susp are just giving feedback on the road, how much do you wanna know?!)
If you get the correct plus size tire and offset wheels you can lay it down real low, and get the Foose look that some of us like and desire. 275/30-20 rears on 10" and 245/35-20 on 8.5" fronts will work well, and find a reputable shop to do back space measurements, it'll save a big headache later. Also, if you use spindles the front offset needs to be differents vs just using drop springs. You moved the mounting point further up in the "travel arc"....
(think of it this way, if its a 26" wheels pkg w/ tire based on OEM sizing regardless of wheel size, a 2" drop spindle raises the wheel/brake assy up, and leaves the other points at the same place. It essentially makes the car see the wheel as 15" top half, and 11" lower, kinda off center of design thus maybe a clearance issue w/ fenders and so forth ( although still a 26" pkg), instead of the designed 13"/13" split off OEM spindle and A arm measurements.)
Good luck, hope I didnt confuse you , and post pics once done!

" 275/30-20 rears on 10" and 245/35-20 on 8.5" fronts will work well, and find a reputable shop to do back space measurements, it'll save a big headache later. "

What are your recomended BS ideas, knowing all cars are a lil different??

Would it be like 4.5 BS rear
3.75 BS front????

more bs is better/easier to fix, so they are in too far if anything. Its easier to add spacers , than machine wheels. H&R makes billet spacers that are hub centric and are perfect quality.
I have seen as high as 4.5" front, and 5.25" rear. This is actually what Foose recommends w/o GNX flares, w/ flares I know 4.25 F and 5" rear works on "Hybrid T"s car.

To give you an idea, Im running 17x8 fronts with a 4" BS. This would probably work for any size rim in front such as 18 or 20". The rears, depending on how wide you want to go can vary. My 18x9.5" wheels have a 5" BS on alum drums and fits just PERFECT. Tight, but PERFECT. If I was going to run 20s all the way around, Id probably do 20x8s with a 4" BS with a 245 or 255 tire. Just my .02. HTH :)