200-4R mechanical TV adjustment

youngerss

I am having a problem setting the mechanical TV adjustment on my 2004R I got from Lonnie at EA. I emailed him about this but I haven't received a reply so I figure he must be really busy. So I thought to post here to see if anyone can help.

The trans is in my '73 Firebird and I am using a stock Q-jet from a '77 Trans Am that has the original OEM mounting bracket and the stud on the throttle arm for the original TH350's kickdown cable. The geometry looks correct with the universal TV cable I am using.

The written instructions I got from EA state that transmissions built after 8-10 will have blue ink and a "scribe" mark on the plunger to help make the mechanical TV adjustment easier...............but the problem is the plunger in my trans is not scribed so I don't know if it is in the proper position with the throttle closed (idle)

First pic is the plunger position with the throttle closed (idle) It is not fully extended.........the lever has it pushed in a bit. But since there is no scribe mark I don't know if it's where it should be.

Second pic is full throttle..........plunger is pretty much all the way in.

Is the next step just to put the pan back on, fill it up and do the pressure check? I would like to get the setting correct before I do that to avoid having to do multiple fluid drains and pan drops!

Any help is appreciated as I want to get this set up correct to avoid an expensive mistake.

Attachments

• P1070492.JPG
    P1070492.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 465
  • P1070494.JPG
    P1070494.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 414
If your using the same geometry that was used for the TH350 then it won't work right. You can't tell from the pics if it is adjusted correctly. You have to do a pressure check. Get the proper adapter linkage. There are a few companies that sell them.

If your using the same geometry that was used for the TH350 then it won't work right. You can't tell from the pics if it is adjusted correctly. You have to do a pressure check. Get the proper adapter linkage. There are a few companies that sell them.

I've checked a few different sources and have found TV brackets for older q-jets that dont have a kickdown stud already attached to the throttle arm but thats it. I'll check again.

According to the TV setup page at jakesperformance.com, their should be about 1" to 1 1/8" when measuring from the centerline of the throttle shaft to the center of the old kickdown stud on the throttle arm.......mine measures just over an inch so............?

Not saying all is correct with my geometry but how can I tell for sure?

Spend the money and get the proper bracket and cable cam/eccentric for your carb and teh 2004r very important as stated. Jegs, Summit all carry them

I've checked Jegs,Summit, BTO, etc they do NOT have a bolt on bracket for the later q-jet's like the one I have.

It's becoming obvious that I may have to fabricate something. But for all I know the geometry may be correct and my cable too short.......or who knows. I sure wish the plunger was marked when he did my trans...sure would save a ton of aggravation.

This should be the bracket you need.
Search Results for 376700 - SummitRacing.com

What do you have for a bracket now?

Here is what I have now. It's the stock TH350 kickdown cable bracket that bolts to the side of the the throttle bracket.

I wonder what the difference is in my stock bracket and that TCI bracket? Maybe change the angle of the TV cable.......hmm. I guess the only way to find out would be to buy it.

Attachments

• P1070496.jpg
    P1070496.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 377