You can type here any text you want

200-4R Swap Into '67 Skylark - I'm SO Confused!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ubushaus

Hello All,

This is my first post. I have been a regular at v8Buick for about a year now. I joined this board to learn more about the 200-4R, and to get some advice from those of you more intimate with these transmissions.

I bought a '67 Skylark project car last September. Turns out it had a bad frame so I found a replacement and have been collecting parts to build it from the ground up. While researching parts and improvements I found a reference to an article in the Aug 2000 Hot Rod where they swapped a 200-4R for the ST300 (two-speed) in a '67 Skylark. "60% improvement in fuel economy" -- that's for me!

From the reading I have done here and on the v8Buick board, many arrows point to finding a BRF code transmission. Not having the biggest of budgets, I am trying to figure out the best route for me given that I am only doing a mild rebuild of a 300 v8 2bbl (210HP/310torque) for a "family cruiser". It will never see any track time - promise!

In that Hot Rod article, they pulled a trans from an '86 Cutlass. "We wanted one of the latest examples because it would include all of the running upgrades GM instituted over its life ('81-'90)."

Using my unknowing mind, I figured that some if not all of the BRF upgrades to the "stock" variety would be included in the units installed in the heavier cars like the Electras and Fleetwoods. So I went to mu local U Pull, and found at least three candidates 2 '84 Electras, and 1 '86 Cutlass Supreme.

I came back and re-read the Hot Rod article and saw: "We passed on fullsize cars, and wagons in particular, because their gross weight and the possibility of trailer-towing degraded the odds of finding a sound unit."

They obviously took a U Pull transmission and put it in a running car and drove it. Even if I buy a U Pull unit, I will have it looked over if not fully rebuilt - locally in South Florida if possible.

So, should I go pull that '86 Cutlass trans, or hold out until I have the funding for a BRF?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Joe M.

Joe,
When dealing with an actual GN or other car, it is best to use the proper VB and governor. However on your car you can get by with a lesser VB IF you have someone knowledgeable rebuild the trans so that you can get decent WOT shift rpm and part throttle shift points working correctly.

I've used the AA code VBs in applications like yours with great results.

So in your case, go get probably any one of the above units. Avoid OG codes if possible. BY works good.

IF you have someone knowledgeable rebuild the trans so that you can get decent WOT shift rpm and part throttle shift points working correctly.

Thanks for the response Jake! Too bad Texas isn't a bit closer to South Florida or I'd have you do it!

Of course the first answer you get from any shop around here is "Oh yeah, we can do that." So, what questions should I ask a local guy to see if they really know what you are talking about? I know I can source parts and rebuild kits from recommendations I find here - it's the shop selection that will be key.

Thanks again,
Joe M.

Most builders will want to source their own parts.
I would ask for a complete list of parts and major mods that they do.
You should see some type of performance servo, hardened sun shell, stator, pump rings. Larger boost valves, wide band, etc.

That's for a basic build and anything over about 400 HP I would recommend the billet fwd drum and dual feed.

Back