2017 Chevrolet Impala, Need options for a replacement engine.

JOHNDEEREGN

Staff member
OK TB friends,

We had 14" of rain here in Nebraska and my son drove his car through 3 feet of water getting home after work. The local shop says the motor will only crank 180 degrees and we need to put in a new engine? I find this hard to believe (maybe I am wrong) but I put the first 40,000 miles on the car and it was maintained meticulously.

Any options out there, ideas? They want $6500 plus labor, which seems way out of line. I am not a mechanic, but I am a "car guy" and I can buy a 600 HP built engine for less than that here at our local plant, unfortunately they just build street rod engines and not a 3.6 GM engine.

Thank you in advance!

Ty

Hydrolocked.. If the "mechanic" tried to start it, knowing what had transpired, he needs to go back to Micky D's early shift.
If he pulled the plugs before, the engine should have at least rotated, should there be no broken rods, etc.
In any case, a good takeout should be in the 2500 range, and a grand to swap it, sure is not close to 6500.
Find another mechanic.
Then, beat the kid's ass for trying that stunt...:D

that is hard to believe , I've had numerous pieces of equipment end up in ponds do to well how should I say COMPLETE MORONS , completely sub merged for at least 30min to an hour ,but always towed back to shop and drained oil (among other things fuel etc, )and let sit for a day and have to change oil 3/4 times before not milky anymore and they are back in service , we did have a boy blow water into intake hose on a diesel motor while washing it off and it smoked a 20k motor on a cat skid steer ,so I can see if water gets sucked into the intake but it shouldn't have been that deep

like chuck said mechanic needs to go back to mickey D's LOL , but id look for an engine out of wrecked car , little more leg work but easiest option

Never dealt with a 3.6 but I have dealt with a few other vehicles that have hydro-locked (off roaders). The only ones I ever saw that damaged their engines were the ones that were hossing on it at the time. The ones that were at idle or just above when it happened survived. Check the crankcase and the gas tank for water then pull the plugs. If you can get a socket on the crank then turn it by hand but if you can't, just bump the starter with the plugs out. If the engine is already broke, it's broke and you shouldn't do anymore damage but if it turns freely then turn it over a few times to clear the water out. Squirt some penetrating oil in the cylinders and turn it a few more times. Dry your plugs out with some starter fluid, install, and then see if it will crank. Change oil/plugs if you need to and pray there is no damage to any of the electrical components and you might not need that engine after all.

Thank You All for your replies, The insurance is going to cover it, thankfully. They found an engine with 36,000 miles and a warranty. My son is 19 so..... who knows how far he drove it or what exactly happened. He is not much of a car guy if you will....

Most I will be out is our deductible, thankfully! I do greatly appreciate everyone's advice.

I bet if he had to front the coin for the engine he'd get up on knowing what is going on. Sounds like my daughter. Drive it like she stole it and leave it on the side of the road for ole dad to retrieve and swap an engine into. I only spent $300 on the replacement engine but it is a 2k model.

I understand, but GM put the air cleaner on the bottom of the engine :oops:, So even a few inches spashing up into the compartment it would suck in all the mater that touched it...... Crazy....