280 LPH Supra fuel pump installed

I had only one pump failure due to E85 and I already had the Racetronix kit with it, I actually did a thread on the install.

Walbro even mentioned the pump life will be shortened with E85, hopefully the DW ends the need for all the other plug and play pumps.

The denso pumps can pull 20 amps, take a look at the charts, stock wiring/connectors cannot handle the current.

I'm aware of this. I ran a 4ga wire from my audio amp to a 40a relay to power the pump. There was a very short run of factory wiring to retain the factory plug. 6" or so. It was the M/F pin connection at the plug that was heating up. I have since replaced that with 2 large handshake connectors (all connections soldered) bypassing the oem plug. It's not warm to the touch after a 30 min cruise. But I will watch this. Planning to throw a clamp meter on it as soon as I can borrow one.

Thanks all.

FYI this install is not on my buick, factory wiring is pretty beefy, I'd guess 10-12g. Doubt the wiring was the issue, just the connection in the OEM plug.

I just got through with installing the Denso pump. Thanks to the OP for the instructions. It seems to be working great. Painted the tank while it was down.

I used JB Weld to seal the wiring and I had to add a ground for the sender due to the old connection being rusted.

Disregard the cable tie holding the pump to the shaft. I took the pic before I bought the hose clamps

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

pump3.jpg

pmmoore, when you did the install, did you have to modify the base of the hangar?

Also did you make the wiring harness in the pic? Or is/was that the one supplied to you?

One thing I've wondered about....I have an old stock wiring harness I don't plan to reuse but was wondering about the factory plug in connector...if I were to get new pins as to what size AWG they'd hold.

Please let us know how the JB weld holds up against gasoline.

pmmoore, when you did the install, did you have to modify the base of the hangar?

Also did you make the wiring harness in the pic? Or is/was that the one supplied to you?

One thing I've wondered about....I have an old stock wiring harness I don't plan to reuse but was wondering about the factory plug in connector...if I were to get new pins as to what size AWG they'd hold.

Please let us know how the JB weld holds up against gasoline.

I did not modify the hanger to mount the pump. Looking back, I should have because the sock is about an inch higher than stock. Not a big deal until you need that little bit of extra gas at the bottom of the sump. All you have to do is clip the bottom out of the hanger to make it sit lower like others have stated.

The OP suggested Lowes for the wire, but my local store did not have any. Home Depot had it, but I had to buy 50-foot rolls because they were out of the small packs. (PM me if you want a couple of feet)

The wiring is simple and just like the OP instructed. I have the two power wires to the pump and the single sender wire running out of the sender. I added the ground wire to the top of the sender because mine was rusted. I had to use a section of the Teflon wire which connected to the old pump in order to extend the sender wire.

You can see in the pic that I removed the power wires from each side of the orange factory
connecter.

The small purple wire runs to the sender. The small black wire runs to the lug I added to the top of the sender. The two heavy gauge wires feed the pump.

The pump feed to the relay and the pump ground to a lug attached to the frame.

All the connections were soldered.

pump6.jpg

pump7.jpg

Hey pmoore4321....I have an old fuel pump hangar where the bottom support broke off so the only way to secure the pump was to hose clamp it down. It was that way when I bought the car. Was thinking about making a custom tab for a Denso pump or some sort of way (other than a hose clamp) to secure it.

I didn't see what size gauge wire did you use for the feed wire? Was it too big to fit into the factory orange plug?

Hey pmoore4321....I have an old fuel pump hangar where the bottom support broke off so the only way to secure the pump was to hose clamp it down. It was that way when I bought the car. Was thinking about making a custom tab for a Denso pump or some sort of way (other than a hose clamp) to secure it.

I didn't see what size gauge wire did you use for the feed wire? Was it too big to fit into the factory orange plug?

You would be fine using the sender with the support broken off. Hose clamps at the top and bottom of the pump are more than enough to hold it to the shaft. You don't need the bottom tab.

The factory wiring on the pump side of the harness may not support the current required by the Denso pump. I think it is better just to go around it by connecting with the yellow butt-connector.

It's not a hard project at all. The biggest PIA is emptying and dropping the tank.

The wire size is #12 (see above pic)

It's not rated for gasoline immersion, but it's the best I could do in a pinch. The wires don't touch anything from the point the enter the sender to the pump terminals.

Well, I am getting ready to drop a Denso Supra pump in my GN as soon as I finish burning off this tank of fuel. I have the Racetronix upgrade harness, too. Any updates or problems from those who have done the swap already? Thanks, Counterman.

denso pump

I just put the Denso in a week ago with the Racetronix bulkhead connector and harness. It was pretty straight foward after looking at the info and pictures at the beginning of this thread. I followed the thread step by step and it went smooth for me. I'm happy I did it. My afr's were getting lean with my failing newer walbro and now they are where they should be. I thank Steve for taking the time to post this thread.

Depending on each setup a different amount of HP will be required for a 9 second run.

Denso pump will push enough fuel for 280lph worth of HP. (more if you use less fuel pressure larger lines and or more voltage to the pump)

With a kennebell boost-a-pump I've read about people making well over 600whp with a single TT supra pump.

What if you use the higher output Kyosan version of the supra pump?

I had asked about this in another thread, can't remember which one tho. But Racetronix had followed up and checked into it and found that the information being discussed about the Kyosan was not entirely accurate. I don't know if someone has tested it independantly to verify it however.

EDIT: Found the thread, it's in the this thread:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...-supra-fuel-pump-installed-9.html#post2607210

Jay racing has custom pumps made that out flow the TT supra pump and any other on the market that I am aware of for the price. And you know I'm not getting paid to say so!

Jay Racing Pro Series 342 Fuel Pump PT342 255 LPH High Pressure [PT342] - $149.00 : Jay Racing

340 LPH @ 40 psi, 270 LPH @ 5 bar! Be 100% sure of the flow figures your pump will provide! Thats more than an 044 bosch for $150 and will fit nice and neat in your fuel tank. Just as compatible with e85 as the walbros.

Jay%20Racing%20Pro%20Series%20PT342%20vs%20Walbro%20GSS342%20%28255HP%29.jpg

Jay racing has custom pumps made that out flow the TT supra pump and any other on the market that I am aware of for the price. And you know I'm not getting paid to say so!

340 LPH @ 40 psi, 270 LPH @ 5 bar! Be 100% sure of the flow figures your pump will provide! Thats more than an 044 bosch for $150 and will fit nice and neat in your fuel tank. Just as compatible with e85 as the walbros.

Ha, got you beat at 70 psi!

A'PEXi BNR32 Fuel Pump

Yes, it's a lot more expensive and I know of no one that has tried to fit one inside our tank, but it does flow more from roughly 50 to 70 psi.

Attachments

• Apexi.jpg
    Apexi.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 266