You can type here any text you want

3.27's in a GN....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
This has come up before..

I remember reading a suggestion by another member that mentioned playing with over all tire diameter before doing such a involved mod as a ring and pinion swap. Put a taller tire on ur car and see if u get the results ur lookin for. If u dont like it switch back to the shorter tire. I believe the heavier turbo cars like less gear. Not really a big difference in the stock verses 3.27. what is it 100 -200 rpms on the big end?

I just recently went to a 3.23 gear in my GN because i broke my factory posi and tweaked the ring and pinion. It made since for me because i normally run around on a 17x9.5" wheel and the 315s on there are only 25.6" tall which put me at 5900 through the traps converter unlocked at 117-118. Now i should be going through at a more reasonable 5400. I am very pleased with the gears so far. Better mileage on the highway and on a recent trip to the track in very nasty 90* 85% humidity weather the car went 94.3 mph in the 1/8th. In the same weather on the old 3.42s i could barely muster 92.5. I will soon bolt on my 28" slicks and see if it likes the taller gears and tires and if not i figure ill just go with a 26-27" tall slick instead.

The TTA's came with 3.23 gears and they dont seam to have any problem getting out of the hole. My car with a stock long block, and 8psi off the foot break would 60' in the 1.52 to 1.46 range. My TTA was VERY heavy and in that first 60' its pretty much hp, torque convertor, and gear vs weight. Other TTA guys have pulled real good 60' times also. So the point I'm trying to make is I don't think there is a down side to the 3.20 range ratio. The Gn will still come out of the hole good.

On one set up of my TTA I tried a set of 29.5" tall slicks instead of the 27.3" slicks that I had been running. For that particular combo that was the best time slip I got out of it. It had my best 60, 330, 660, 1000, and 1320 times and mph. Basically the car ran its best numbers from start to finish. AT that time my car weighed 3565 w/o me in it, had a 3.23 gear, and was pulling those 29.5" tall tires. That would be the equivelant of a 2.85 gear and 26" tire combo!

I never tried the taller slicks with one of my newer combos, but I was always curious about how it would have responded. The slicks where my dads and he doesn't like letting people barrow stuff. I didnt want to hear him grumble so I never barrowed them again.

I later went to a ford 9" set up with a 3.25. I let my buddy try the set up last fall and he liked how his GN responded to it on the street. He never had a chance to do a track comparison so I can't give you in feed back there. He now wants to try 3.73's and then decide which he liked the best.

So to answere your question:

Lots of people are running 3.23's behind thier turbo buick motors. Around 1555 of them for starters! Based on my experience I would think that you would be more likely to be pleased with the ratio change than disappointed with it.

HTH: Jason

marred4life said:
get a taller tire dumbass.

Why do you have to be a ass not everyone likes to run there cars on slicks :rolleyes: Ive been debating about putting in a lower gear also because of the fact that I run my car on 26 inch drag radials but being a 10 second car thats going to be alot of rpm which is the reason Ive only done 18th mile pulls to this point. But even if it did make the car alittle lazzy out of the hole you could always use a small like 50 shot and call it a day your car will LOVE it. :biggrin:

ttypewe4jim said:
Why do you have to be a ass not everyone likes to run there cars on slicks :rolleyes: Ive been debating about putting in a lower gear also because of the fact that I run my car on 26 inch drag radials but being a 10 second car thats going to be alot of rpm which is the reason Ive only done 18th mile pulls to this point. But even if it did make the car alittle lazzy out of the hole you could always use a small like 50 shot and call it a day your car will LOVE it. :biggrin:
------------------------------
Jim:
Both of these guys are out of the southwestern section, know each other, (almost imtimately, it appears), and are only J/k with each other. I don't think that they meant everybody else. Just my $.02 worth, before taxes, too.

Wells, you're right. Marred4Life and I have known each other since the 2nd grade, drive the same kinds of cars, let each other drive one another's car, so it's no big deal when he bashes on me, were just playing. Sorry if it was mis-interpreted...... :) For all!

Also, the reason I ask if 3.27's work, is because I saw a GN in GMHTP running a 3.25; and he was running 9's. I was just wondering if it was beneficial to run a similar gear in a 11 sec. car......

Wells said:
------------------------------
Jim:
Both of these guys are out of the southwestern section, know each other, (almost imtimately, it appears), and are only J/k with each other. I don't think that they meant everybody else. Just my $.02 worth, before taxes, too.

very intimate :D

postal said:
The TTA's came with 3.23 gears and they dont seam to have any problem getting out of the hole.

Lots of people are running 3.23's behind thier turbo buick motors. Around 1555 of them for starters! Based on my experience I would think that you would be more likely to be pleased with the ratio change than disappointed with it.

TR=3.42 with 215-15 tires. TTA=3.27 with 245-16 tires. I was always under the assumption that these two combos run at the same RPMs for the same given speed. The same in other words.

If you really want to wake it up try going up to a 3.08.

hboost said:
Almost intimate.....(no homo); and by that I mean sharing the same chicks..... ;)
Sloppy seconds? :eek: EEWW.

The TTA tires are a low profile 245 tire and Gn's are regular profile 215's. They are basically the same diameter so the TTA's overall gearing is taller.

The point I was trying to make is that I wouldn't assume there would be a loss in off the line performance buy going to a 3.23. The guys who are upping the horse power in thier TTA's are pulling just as good 60' times as the Gn guys who are making similar power, even with a theoretical gearing disadvantage. The other point I was trying to make is that the TTA guys are yanking alot more weight out of the hole than most GN guys think. TTA's are right at or even heavier than most GN's.

HTH: Jason

Back