You can type here any text you want

3.400" Stroke or 3.55" Stroke????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ken Adams

I purchased a set of used forged 4.1 pistons from a member of this web site. He provided records from his engine builder indicating the pistons were used in a TA 4.1 block with a total deck height of 9.535", rods used were 6.0" c to c and the stroke was 3.400". What puzzles me is the listed compression height of the pistons is 1.757". Would a stroke of 3.55" be the way to go with this compression height.? Or will a stroke of 3.400" work w/o issue with these pistons compression height and 6.0" rods ? Any comments welcome

Neither will work with those pistons if my math is correct.
3.4= -.078
3.55= +.067

Somebody else please add this up. Im on my phone and it's possible I added wrong. You could cut the pistons and run the 3.55 depending on the piston design/ting location but then you run into clearance volume issues and may need a thicker head gasket from the reduced dish. I'd order new pistons.

The pistons are for a 3.55" stroke from what I can tell. I came up with a stack up of 9.532".

Neal

I come up with .003 in the hole with a 3.55 stroke. If you have the rods it should be easy to tell, the webber 3.55 stroke cranks were offset ground to a 2.100 sbc rod journal. That would mean the big end of the rod should measure ~2.225.

I come up with .003 in the hole with a 3.55 stroke. If you have the rods it should be easy to tell, the webber 3.55 stroke cranks were offset ground to a 2.100 sbc rod journal. That would mean the big end of the rod should measure ~2.225.
The K1 rods did not come with the pistons in question. They were a separate purchase and are Buick spec rods but 6.000"

Back