3.5 maf question

JDT

My maf took a crap so I installed a 3.5 inch and a translator. Box is set correct. Now if I floor it everything is fine. However if I build to 15lbs and try to hold it there it kinda flutters like it cant hold steady boost. Is there a need to adjust the wastegate or did another gremlin pop its head out

this can happen with some cars because the turbo spools easier now, you get into part-throttle surge.

give us more details about the car setup, turbo, intercooler, etc....

Bob

this can happen with some cars because the turbo spools easier now, you get into part-throttle surge.

give us more details about the car setup, turbo, intercooler, etc....

Bob
Te44 turbo front mount intercooler 42.5 lbs injectors bigger plenum etc

not sure what you mean by "bigger plenum", but a TE44 and a front-mount is a perfect recipe for part throttle surge.

can you try one thing as a test? unplug the boost control solenoid and see if the symptom gets better.

Bob

Somewhere I have my build on here... looking for it. I'll try that this weekend. Is there an ez fix for this?

there are a couple things that will help

what chip are you running?

There that's a little more info. My brother inlaw who kinda got me into these cars says my intake and plenum both seem larger than stock too but I have no info on them

Ok another thing was there was a small round disc behind the maf. I think it's called a tornado. I removed this to get the 3.5 maf to install. I see these things restrict the air to prevent compressor surge. Learning more everyday!

x 2 on the Tornado

Tornado.jpg

As stated by TurboBob;
Part-throttle surge is very typical, around 13-15 PSI on a stock engine with TE44.
You can also try to lower the boost to 10 PSI and see if that resolves it. Lots of debate and opinions on the tornado. The search feature is your friend.

As stated by TurboBob;
Part-throttle surge is very typical, around 13-15 PSI on a stock engine with TE44.
You can also try to lower the boost to 10 PSI and see if that resolves it. Lots of debate and opinions on the tornado. The search feature is your friend.
Engines far from stock but going to reinstall the tornado tonight.

x 2 on the Tornado

View attachment 342780
I didnt know what this was so I removed it when I installed the new maf. After some research I am going to reinstall