3.8 series II SC project

Buicksandrail

I am currently in the planning stages of installing a 3.8 series II sc engine into a sandrail. I will be using a VW type 2 trans. I am not worried about the mechanics of this project put I am concerned about the PCM/OBDII side. Is their someone out there that can program the PCM so that the engine will run properly under this configuration? Are their any other options available to me that would still allow me to run this motor? Would a series 1 motor be less complicated yet yield the same horsepower?

Thanks,

Trent

you will want to stay away from the Series I SC engines as they are weaker in power output and have virtually no aftermarket available. There are a few people that have the 3800 II SC mated to a 5-speed manual in Fieros that are running an OBDII computer so I am sure you can find one of those "popular" aftermarket reprogrammers that can make it work for you (probably at a price tho).

A company (that I can't remember) maybe haltech has a stand alone ECU out that will control the 3800 II SC but I am almost certain it is expensive.