You can type here any text you want

3.8 turbo nova has it been done?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

93parkave

93parkave
haven't been on in a while and my search feature isn't working but me and my fiance are picking up a 71 nova for her for the car craft summer nationals next summer and i brought up the idea of tossing in a 3800 turbo and she was very interested so my queston is has it been done before? and if so what is involved? and how hard is it?
thanks in advance!
brandon

First one I ever saw was back in late '88 when I lived in Phoenix. I don't remember what mounts they used but it was VERY professionally done. Very quick car too being that the Nova was pretty light.

haven't been on in a while and my search feature isn't working but me and my fiance are picking up a 71 nova for her for the car craft summer nationals next summer and i brought up the idea of tossing in a 3800 turbo and she was very interested so my queston is has it been done before? and if so what is involved? and how hard is it?
thanks in advance!
brandon
I personaly have not seen a nova done. I have a 67 firebird (same platfom) & it's not hard.

We put a 4.9 pontiac turbo motor in a 73 skylark back in 85. I know it's not what you were asking butt it reminded me of it. We sure had some fun with that thing. The things you do when your drunk.

We did a 63 nova 10-14 years ago. It ran at a Chevy event in Pomona one year. launched the car on the transbrake with lowering blocks and you guessed it rearend slid forward and major body work. Hardest part was running the exhaust. it ran a fender wheel dump with a Supertrapp muffler like the Sprint cars do so he could drive it without tickets. it was always uncapped for street racing or track. Nice car wish i had bought it from the guy I help put it together for. Now it is owned by a loser and i hear it might be back on the road?? Where in the Bay Area, Ca.
Jerry

thanks in advance!
brandon

I have a 63 Nova Convertible that we completed about a year and a half ago.
It was hard but the results are pretty cool. Being a 1st generation, the difficulties will be much different than your 71 might be. I used the TCI Mustang II front end and rear 4 link setup. The swap is straight forward in that you mount the block and transmission then figure out how to gain clearances with the exhaust and other 3.8 mass issues. The radiator had to be moved forward to allow for the intercooler. I used a radiator out of a late 80's camaro and manipulated the upper radiator support to make that happen. The headers I used were the cheapo stainless and we cut and welded them around the suspension on the passenger side above the upper control arm. The downpipe had to be custom made. We used 3.5" downpipe and stepped up to a 4 inch exhaust that goes under the passenger floor and out just in front on the passenger side rear wheel.
The biggest fear I had was getting the electronics figured out but I have a genious for a friend and he spent about 30 minutes telling me what to cut out and what to keep. Really though, its about knowing what sensors to keep and what not.
The cars best time with a 44MM turbo at 20lb of boost is 11.8 @ 114. My next step is to buy injectors, larger turbo and a better converter. The car hooks up great at the track on slicks of coarse. It sounds like a dumptruck when getting on it. It is even more fun driving around on the street and going to car shows because people just don't expect to see a Buick V6 or a turbo in a Nova.

Really nice. That downpipe is badass. Obviously, you have put many hours into this car. I get it.....I understand.

I always see this one at car shows.... probably somebody we all know... but always one of my favorite at shows...

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Nice Nova. Did you ever get to talk to the guy and see how the stick is working out for him? Is it a 4 speed or 5 speed?

There used to be a Nova about the same year as the one youre doing with a Stage 2 engine in it.

There was a motor swap article in Car Craft (I think) around 1996 or so that had a 3.8 motor put into a 1968-1972 Nova. I am pretty sure I have it in all of my junk I've collected in Turbo Regals. I will see if I can find it.

I've been recently debating on this myself. I have a '69 Nova that's fully restored, runs and drives but it's a street car with the typical 350 Chevy engine/TH350 automatic.

Good engine, nothing wrong with it....pushes the car well, but the thought has crossed my mind to swap out the engine/trans with an LC2 engine....if not a big block and a 4 speed.

Biggest things I'm wondering is if the LC2's oil pan will clear the rear steer, and if you can run a SLIC or how would a FMIC fit in there.

all you need to do is move the engine back as far as possible & the steering clears. as for intercoolers that takes some work depending on what you want to do.

Nice, wonder if it was necessary to relocate the turbo or not? Or could the stock location of the turbo on an LC2 fit in there w/o hacking on the inner fenders/wheel wells?

Back