You can type here any text you want

#3 Exh Lifter Wearing Out - pics

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
This dead horse was beat to death years ago. The 109 blocks have lifter bore alignment problems. Some are just worse than others. There was lots of info before the board crashed years ago. After loosing 3 engines in a row in my own car due to flat tappets I wont even install a flat tappet in a Buick. I would sell it first and buy a Ford. Hopefully you caught it early and have no other damage. I was not so lucky back in the day.

You are so funny Lonnie.
I have been lucky with the amount of Engines I built. Not one Cam problem..:smile:

Thanks to WickedV6 for prompting me to have a closer look... otherwise this cam would've been re-used. Has ~2500 mile on it.

3exhcloseup.jpg

Check valve spring pressure, it maybe too much, also check installed height etc etc..

You are so funny Lonnie.
I have been lucky with the amount of Engines I built. Not one Cam problem..:smile:

I dont use flat tappets anymore anyway. The buick V-6 is the only engine that I had lost a cam in.

I dont use flat tappets anymore anyway. The buick V-6 is the only engine that I had lost a cam in.

I totally understand. These V-6 Animals are a treat..
BTW Check it out that sometimes I send you emails and you don`t reply.
))) Off Topic for a second (((

Thanks;)

I'm with QuickT on this one. The bore position is jacked up on that lifter. If you look through the hole at the cam lobe you will clearly see that #3 exhaust is off compared to the others. Newer cams are suppose to address this by adjusting lobe position on the cam itself but just like most aftermarket products, quality control is out the door. RPM should not effect wear.
Put a roller in and forget about it. I have a 210-210 that I have been hammering on for 3 years now. :eek: You guys know I drive it hard. Seeing 6000rpm regularly. :eek: ;) :biggrin:

Rick

If a roller is out of the question, there are a couple things you can do to help the situation.
1. Use the GOODSEN burnishing tool, to size and finish the bores. This is a ball that is driven thru the bores, that will size them, and put a slick finish on them.
2. Use the Powerhouse lifter bore grooving tool, to add presurized oil to the cam lobe. This puts oil on the lobe in front of the lifter.
3. Once the engine is set up, check the lifters for rotation, as you bar the engine over. I look for at least 1 lifter rev, for every 10 crank turns.
These mods will help.. as mentioned above, the roller is pretty much a "sure cure", but at alot more "moola"..

Back under my injector bench!

Back