3 turbos at barrett this week!!!

WH1 car went for 20k... I was all over the car on the block... but considering a 1992 Star Trek Enterprise camaro... " real crap ass car" went fo 32k... I ask what is going on??????

What does 1 car have to do with the other?? Am i missing something?? Did the tires not feel right when you were kicking them?

Twin seriously.. why a reserve?

BJ will lose half the buyers... and think about it.... a reserve means pay me what I want or don't buy it... simply put "that belongs in a trader mag not at a auction" No reserve is the chance you take.. and obviously you took the chance trying to sell privately and no offers worthy came by... so you went to " the biggest most notorious auction" it doesnt sell well there then I will just have to call it a day ........ you made the choice and I would of have done the same if I could not get what I wanted otherwise... hey atleast the car went out with a bang... live tv on such a rare car in a great auction....it is now famous...lol

BJ will lose half the buyers... and think about it.... a reserve means pay me what I want or don't buy it... simply put "that belongs in a trader mag not at a auction" No reserve is the chance you take.. and obviously you took the chance trying to sell privately and no offers worthy came by... so you went to " the biggest most notorious auction" it doesnt sell well there then I will just have to call it a day ........ you made the choice and I would of have done the same if I could not get what I wanted otherwise... hey atleast the car went out with a bang... live tv on such a rare car in a great auction....it is now famous...lol

I think you misunderstood me. I am not unhappy with making money on it, I just thought it might make a little more.:biggrin:

With so many unhappy sellers this year, B-J might have a hard time filling slots with no reserve in the near future.

Every other auction in the country has a reserve option. I'm sure they sell some cars too.

BJ auction

The BJ auction:eek: had some cars going for not even 1/2 what some the cars resto jobs cost.Looked An Astroroof GN went for 28 0r 29k. Later on a yellow 1970 Cobra Jet Torino 428 k-code(I believe)went for a measley 20k. The car was immaculate. Today a super nice blue 71 Charger Rt 440/ 360 hp not a 6pak, but a documented Mr Norm car(i.e Spalding Dodge,granted it wasn't a Mr. Norm 426HemiDart, but it also went for around 20. Some of these cars as an investment were well bought. After the CJ Torino a tricked out 289 Hi po 65 Mustang Fastback k-code went for almost 4x's the cost of the CJT. In fact one could have bought the 9sec Stage2 car here as well as the CJT and CRT for the price of that one little shetland pony;)The owners of the cars at least the guy with the Charger was shaking his documentation at the crowd like look here people this is a Mr.Norm Charger, he looked uupset too say the least as he saw his car go away with no reserve, it probably cost him twice what he got for it to get it in the condition the car was in. The anouncers couldn't believe it!

BJ. Auction not for the norm.

I hope we are all seeing B.J. for what it really is. Scottsdale brings out rock stars, corporate spenders, bottomless pockets,etc., that's the one there all at to impress the I'm somebody world. I agree that reserve auctions are well worth it. Look at Mecum, they have probably the best collection of muscle cars available and sell a good % of them and are very successfull. By the way gn's are fetching 10-15k more than sticker,not bad for mass produced turbo's eh!! It will only get better, it always does.;) ;) ;)

Clones at auction

Have you guys noticed what the "clone" cars have been bringing lately? Guys are acctually listing these cars as "clones" and getting FAT! Late 60's straight 6 cars you could buy 10 years ago for 500-1000 bucks, get a mail order catalog or go on line, suspension, crate motor, fresh paint, some SS or Yenko stripes and PRESTO!!! the bidders go CRAZY. Its a shame guys with NICE documented cars have to watch this madness. Don't get me wrong I think the "clone" cars are nice, I'm doing a GNX "clone" myself (like the look) and cant afford the "real" thing but I do realize that my $10k GN when "cloned" up is still only a $10k GN........or is it? I think its amazing that you can take a JUNKER 66-68 mustang send it to a "plastic" surgeon and after a complete makeover you have ELENOR a 170k swan!

The low prices will ensure B-J is even bigger next year.

I'm sorry, but hardtop hemi cudas and LS6 chevelles aren't "worth" $300K. If people think they are, they are confused.

If anything, the prices are coming back to reality. In 25 years of restoring muscle cars only in the last couple could you sell a car for much more than what you had in the restoration, even if you did all the work yourself. This is the way it has ALWAYS been.

We are complaining about a GN that you could buy for sticker price 4 years ago only being $5-9K more today. If it was worth only a dollar more, we should be happy.

we4 at b.j.

Any idea what the WE4 sold for, I seem to keep missing the postings on tv.

it hasn't sold yet....it'll probably be around 7:00pm when it goes on the block

The value of collector cars is a double-edge sword. Sure we all want to make a lot of money if we decide to sell our cars, but what about if you want to pick up another car? I more often look at the car market as a buyer than as a seller, so I hope the prices come way down. Unfortunately, muscle cars are totally unattainable by us average guys. If I was looking to make money on investments, I wouldn't choose collector cars. I guess I'm unable to shake the notion that cars should be driven and enjoyed not used as investment property. Oh well, I'm just an old fart who grew up in the muscle car era. I'll go back to my nap.

WE4 sold $37500.00

Mach, are you sure that car was the nasty one? I had a friend at the auction and said it was a clean looking 2000mile car. Runs the cruises at P.Beach, only scratch was top of the front spoiler,the int. pics on the B.J. site looks brand new. I'm not questioning your judgment, just wondering if it was another turbo car. Anyone have an opinion why 37k on a T, and 26 and 28k for GN's? IMO it is the 1547 produced v.s. 20000 gn's. By the way GNX 412 is at 60k so far (15000miles), so let's not panic everyone,certain people will still pay for low mile, ltd. produced muscle cars of any era.:smile: :smile: :smile:

I can't take all this drama, prices up, down, stable, backwards. :) I guess i will go back to enjoying my cars and not worrying about there value hour by hour.

WE4 was mint ... and had all docs..and original owner..

The bumper fillers were bad... a climate issue... but the car MINT in all respect.. I looked that car up and down and bid on it...but not near the price paid.....the owner had every part from the day he had it that he took off... "parts he had to replace like the front head light" and every mile written down .....very well documented... athe owner bought it as an investment... he lost obviously... the car in my opinion was worth $25k tops.. but the price paid was paid by someone who really wanted it or thought it was worth it not knowing the market on the car.. a GN with same miles can be had for $30k ...

Mach, are you sure that car was the nasty one? I had a friend at the auction and said it was a clean looking 2000mile car. Runs the cruises at P.Beach, only scratch was top of the front spoiler,the int. pics on the B.J. site looks brand new. I'm not questioning your judgment, just wondering if it was another turbo car. Anyone have an opinion why 37k on a T, and 26 and 28k for GN's? IMO it is the 1547 produced v.s. 20000 gn's. By the way GNX 412 is at 60k so far (15000miles), so let's not panic everyone,certain people will still pay for low mile, ltd. produced muscle cars of any era.:smile: :smile: :smile:

Bumper fillers were bad, which really surprised me since it was stored in a garage according to the owner. There was a 4" crack on the front fiberglass. The interior was very clean. It did clean up nicely. There was a ton of interest in the car for the three days. I think the seller did better than either twin or I because of placement. The big hitters were still there, looking to spend money at that point.

I think you misunderstood me. I am not unhappy with making money on it, I just thought it might make a little more.:biggrin:

With so many unhappy sellers this year, B-J might have a hard time filling slots with no reserve in the near future.

Every other auction in the country has a reserve option. I'm sure they sell some cars too.

Jeff, sorry I didn't get to see you. Your partner looked at me like I was nuts when I handed him the GN shirt.

I took a little hit on the final price, but not enough to be concerned about. I look at it like I got what it was worth and no more. Last year I did very well, so on average, I cannot complain.

The one thing I was not real happy with, someone from BJ asked me as the car was coming on-stage what I wanted for the car. I gave him a figure, and he comes back and asks me if I would take a figure that was a little lower. I was shocked when this happened, like if it hit his figure, were they going to cut the auction off???

There were some decent deals this year. There was quite a bit of unhappiness going around that I haven't seen in the past three years at Palm Beach.

Truth be told with this years auction, there were not a great bunch of cars as in years past, nothing that I would consider headliners to draw the buyers in. The only real headliner other than that farce that Shelby was up on stage for, was the Foose car, and for a while, it did not seem as if it would even get the regular selling price. Barrett was also very late in putting everything together. I did not get my lot number until 3 weeks before the auction, the website was not complete until a couple of days before, and twin can vouch for that, and the books made the auction the day before it opened.

Have you guys noticed what the "clone" cars have been bringing lately? Guys are acctually listing these cars as "clones" and getting FAT! Late 60's straight 6 cars you could buy 10 years ago for 500-1000 bucks, get a mail order catalog or go on line, suspension, crate motor, fresh paint, some SS or Yenko stripes and PRESTO!!! the bidders go CRAZY. Its a shame guys with NICE documented cars have to watch this madness. Don't get me wrong I think the "clone" cars are nice, I'm doing a GNX "clone" myself (like the look) and cant afford the "real" thing but I do realize that my $10k GN when "cloned" up is still only a $10k GN........or is it? I think its amazing that you can take a JUNKER 66-68 mustang send it to a "plastic" surgeon and after a complete makeover you have ELENOR a 170k swan!

Yes and no. If market follows anything that happened this past weekend, the clones will be taking a hit as well. They did not do real well as in the past. These clones are more than just throwing on some stripes and such. Many of these guys took a bath compared to what it cost to do the resto.

An E-body clone is not exactly cheap to do, especially when you can have as much as $25-30K into the engine alone.

Speaking of Mustangs, The blue 68 vert, lot 648 brought $60K, the owner had $80K in the car. His bottom line net is around $53K, so you do the math.

The biggest shock I saw all weekend was the 71 Cuda. The car was incredible, but $282K? That is what happens when there is a bidding war going on and it gets out of hand.

Jeff, sorry I didn't get to see you. Your partner looked at me like I was nuts when I handed him the GN shirt.

I took a little hit on the final price, but not enough to be concerned about. I look at it like I got what it was worth and no more. Last year I did very well, so on average, I cannot complain.

The one thing I was not real happy with, someone from BJ asked me as the car was coming on-stage what I wanted for the car. I gave him a figure, and he comes back and asks me if I would take a figure that was a little lower. I was shocked when this happened, like if it hit his figure, were they going to cut the auction off???

There were some decent deals this year. There was quite a bit of unhappiness going around that I haven't seen in the past three years at Palm Beach.

Truth be told with this years auction, there were not a great bunch of cars as in years past, nothing that I would consider headliners to draw the buyers in. The only real headliner other than that farce that Shelby was up on stage for, was the Foose car, and for a while, it did not seem as if it would even get the regular selling price. Barrett was also very late in putting everything together. I did not get my lot number until 3 weeks before the auction, the website was not complete until a couple of days before, and twin can vouch for that, and the books made the auction the day before it opened.

I agree, they were VERY unorginized this year. The pic's of my car made the website the night before the auction :mad:

That is very strange about them asking you what you wanted for the car :confused:

PM me your address, so I can pay you for the shirt. I'll get it next week when I see Mike at Charlotte Auto Fair.