#359 all cleaned up

Preserving, yes. Obsessing over, no. I was at a small car show last weekend, and met a very nice fellow who owns a pristine yellow 1970 GSX. The car is mint, inside and out. He was telling me that he just got back from the track, and ran it several times. He is in his mid to late 60s, and owns several other classic Buicks and street rods, all of them show-worthy, and all of them driven (and driven hard). He gets a lot of enjoymentto have a [insert classic car here], never drove it, but sure enjoyed polishing from his cars, both showing and driving them.

I've never understood the "trailer queen" phenomenon. Cars are built to be driven, to be enjoyed. Not parked in one place, and stared at. The whole classic Corvette "It has the original air in the spare tire" mentality is beyond me. When you are old and grey, are you going to tell your grandkids, "I used it"?

My 1986 GN is a solid driver, far from perfect, but I sure love driving it. And the funny thing is, it still attracts a crowd, faded paint, slightly worn seats, and stock engine compartment and all.:)

We also own a Trans Am Firehawk. I met a guy who owned a Firehawk convertible for 3 years, put less than 10,000 km on it, and then sold it. Most of the time, it sat in a garage, with its cover on it, while he rode his bicycle. And made payments on the Firehawk he never drove (enjoyed). Weird.

OK

I'll start driving them to make you guys happy :rolleyes:

In My Opinion.. You Need To Have Both.. I'm A Strong Believer In Driving The Cars But I Would Also Love To Have A Super Low Mileage Gnx Or Gn. To Also Have.. Even If Its To Stare At. And Every Once In A While Take It For A Short Drive To A Local Car Show.. I Also Guess It Would Depend On How Low The Mileage Was Too.. If The Car Had Say 3,000 On The Clock.. I Would Drive It Pretty Often.. But If Persay It Had 4 Miles On It.. It Would Kill Me To See It With 5.

In My Opinion.. You Need To Have Both.. I'm A Strong Believer In Driving The Cars But I Would Also Love To Have A Super Low Mileage Gnx Or Gn. To Also Have.. Even If Its To Stare At. And Every Once In A While Take It For A Short Drive To A Local Car Show.. I Also Guess It Would Depend On How Low The Mileage Was Too.. If The Car Had Say 3,000 On The Clock.. I Would Drive It Pretty Often.. But If Persay It Had 4 Miles On It.. It Would Kill Me To See It With 5.

If you read my original post I clearly said that a low milaege car should preserved in it's original state. But to frame off restore a high mileage car just to look at is the situation I'm talking about.

There are different types of collectors... Those who enjoy their possessions by using them and then those that sit back and admire their collection. To each his own... Take Stamp or Coin collectors, are they stupid too:tongue: Some collect just for the "Apprecation" $$ wise and let it serve as an investment. Probably safer then alot of stocks!

If I had a low mile GNX it I wouldn't driven either.... If I had 2 and one had some miles on it, yes I would drive it some just to play but would be to worried about the idiots on the road that could smash into me and think o'well just an old grandma car:frown:

There are different types of collectors... Those who enjoy their possessions by using them and then those that sit back and admire their collection. To each his own... Take Stamp or Coin collectors, are they stupid too:tongue: Some collect just for the "Apprecation" $$ wise and let it serve as an investment. Probably safer then alot of stocks!

If I had a low mile GNX it I wouldn't driven either.... If I had 2 and one had some miles on it, yes I would drive it some just to play but would be to worried about the idiots on the road that could smash into me and think o'well just an old grandma car:frown:

Well, you can't drive a stamp. I have a collection of model cars I love to look at.

If you read my original post I said it would be a crime to drive a car that had been preserved for 20 years with on 9 miles on it. I'm talking resto trailer queens.

How else are the rest of us going to admire your car(s) if you don't take them out of the garage once and a while! :)

I know of three other people that never drive their classic cars. They just sit, in closed garages, and never come outside, ever.

They are: 1980 Camaro Z28; 1968 Firebird 400; 1987 Trans Am GTA.

Another guy I know just found a totally original, 1974 SD455 Trans Am in a barn. Its been sitting for more than 20 years. The owner's family refuses to sell it.

Enjoy your car the way you want, I guess. It just seems like a waste, to have a nice car, and never enjoy it (read: drive it!):biggrin:

If I had the money for that car I would put about 500 miles in the first month.
Life is short how and how many of us can say "I beat on an low miles GNX"

Out of pure ignorance I have to ask

In what condition would an engine be after sitting for sooooooo long?
1-valve springs
2-valve seats
3-piston rings to cylinder wall
4-injectors
5-gas tank.

BTW it’s a GREAT LOOKING CAR IF I HAD THE SPARE MONEY I WOULD BE BEATING ON IT RIGHT NOW.

I have a close friend here that sold his #005 GNX as he just couldn't bring him self to drive it and rack up the miles.Car had 965 miles on it. He is the type of guy who loves to drive his cars and the GNX just sat in his garage. I completely understand both sides of this debate. I THINK ?????

People that do restore rare, desirable big block musclecars are probably not in a hurry to drive them to the local cruise in and have some four year old spill ice cream on it. Note however that the "restorations" you guys are referring to, the ones that are worthy of sitting in a dusty show field, are not by definition "trailer queens". I'm referring to exceptionally low mileage originals as noted above, or 100K restos not some rattle can garage job.

Whats up guys, I'm new to the site. That being said, I've been doing paint and body for the last twenty years. I've done several frame off restorations. The amount of work that it takes is unbelieveable. It is a true labor of love for many. For many, that labor of love is therapeutic and a major stress reliever in their lives. Thus the amount of work and attention the cars receive. I can't even describe the feeling of someone dinging a body that you just spent four months of your life making look like a mirror. For many people an auto restoration is much along the same lines as having a new child. For those of you that have children, you know how much you cherish and love them. For the guy that enjoys doing a restoration its much the same thing! Oh, by the way, that GNX is awesome!!! :biggrin:

A fully restored car can only go down hill.
I race (road race) the cars that I collect with only a few exceptions (too fragile). I feel like the car is here for my enjoyment and I enjoy racing it. If I enjoyed looking at it, that would be fine with me too. If I enjoyed the "low Miles" aspect of it and wanted to keep it that way, again, fine.
These cars are for our generation to enjoy. There is no evidence that the cars will remain valuable to kids with a different dream list. Model T Fords have gone down in value for example.
The main thing that I feel needs to be avoided is sitting there with one's thumb up the arse watching everyone else have fun waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along (and it never does). Everything is a compromise.

People that do restore rare, desirable big block musclecars are probably not in a hurry to drive them to the local cruise in and have some four year old spill ice cream on it. Note however that the "restorations" you guys are referring to, the ones that are worthy of sitting in a dusty show field, are not by definition "trailer queens". I'm referring to exceptionally low mileage originals as noted above, or 100K restos not some rattle can garage job.

TRAILER QUEEN- Arives and leaves car show or event on a trailer because owner will not drive it on the road.