You can type here any text you want

4.1 Engine pics - For the TTA of course

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AKTURBOTA

My 4.1 is finally approaching the much awaited install. Here are some current pics:

DSCN0944.jpg

DSCN0943.jpg

DSCN0942.jpg

DSCN0941.jpg

DSCN0939.jpg

DSCN0937.jpg

DSCN0936.jpg

DSCN0935.jpg

And the T66 BB turbo of course:

DSCN0366.jpg

They are Comp stainless self aligning stainless steel big fulcrum rockers for a SBC...mucho tweaking to make them fit.

can you post any pic of port work on the heads ,thats if they were ported...:smile:

They are Comp stainless self aligning stainless steel big fulcrum rockers for a SBC...mucho tweaking to make them fit.

Nice job on the rockers. I did that back in 1992 when I was running TA heads in my GN. You will enjoy not breaking stock rocker arms with the increased spring pressures. I also added an extra bolt hole on the stock 4.1 block and to the heads for added clamping on the easily lifted TA heads. Good Luck

Nice job on the rockers. I did that back in 1992 when I was running TA heads in my GN. You will enjoy not breaking stock rocker arms with the increased spring pressures. I also added an extra bolt hole on the stock 4.1 block and to the heads for added clamping on the easily lifted TA heads. Good Luck

Where would you put the extra bolt hole? :confused:

The extra bolts would be the 3 upper bolts as with stage 2 blocks. They are located right between the rocker pedestals and drilled straight thru the heads. I used one size smaller head bolts as there is not much deck space on the stock 4.1 for drilling the holes and torque them to 40 ft/lbs. It was much better than pinning the heads. It was a very trick setup up, done some 15+ years ago.

Jason Loftus did the work on the rockers, so he deserves the credit...I am just the "end user" of his work. :D

Mark

The extra bolts would be the 3 upper bolts as with stage 2 blocks. They are located right between the rocker pedestals and drilled straight thru the heads. I used one size smaller head bolts as there is not much deck space on the stock 4.1 for drilling the holes and torque them to 40 ft/lbs. It was much better than pinning the heads. It was a very trick setup up, done some 15+ years ago.

You sure your talking about TTA heads. They are different than GN heads.

I have heard of this when installing StageII heads on a production block. Since the StageII had the extra bolt holes.

No, I am talking about turbo ta heads. I was one of a few using them back then. They were modified for the extra bolt holes to use on a stage block as the ta heads lift under high boost and any detonation.

No, I am talking about turbo ta heads. I was one of a few using them back then. They were modified for the extra bolt holes to use on a stage block as the ta heads lift under high boost and any detonation.
I ended up using them on the stock 4.1 as I was in a rush to get a motor together. I have horrible looking pictures somewhere, but we didnt have digital cameras back then. If I find them, I will scan them and post.....

can you post any pic of port work on the heads ,thats if they were ported...:smile:

Here are the heads ported. The bronze wall guides were massaged after these photos. The heads were cc'd as well as the piston in the bore volume checked to yield a tick under 8:1.

028.JPG

026.JPG

020.JPG

018.JPG

009.JPG

002.JPG

029.JPG

Mark

Here are the pictures. I finally figured out how to post them. The heads were disassembled and the bronze wall valve guides were smoothed up and the sharp edges removed.

Mark

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 199
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 224

That would put you rite through a water passage. Look at the pixs of the deck surface. You would have to add meat, and the only place without water passages would be between the pushrods. Then you couldnt have proper clamping to the deck.

The problem with the TTA heads is the very long 2 center head bolts. And a set of nice studs solves this.

See if I can find a junk TTA head and drill through the deck see if it hits water.

If you had a GN why would you use a TTA head in the first place. I'd bet there would be no noticable difference as far as flow between GN head and TTA head ported or not. Plus you have a shaft rocker setup on the GN head. I'm sorry I don't understand the point.

Michael

That would put you rite through a water passage. Look at the pixs of the deck surface. You would have to add meat, and the only place without water passages would be between the pushrods. Then you couldnt have proper clamping to the deck.

The problem with the TTA heads is the very long 2 center head bolts. And a set of nice studs solves this.

See if I can find a junk TTA head and drill through the deck see if it hits water.

Yes, you drill the head, put threaded rod in for strenghtening the head and braze it in place. Then you can drill your extra bolt hole. I am looking for pictures and I have tried contacting the person whom purchased my car with the heads. I heard he was on a long vacation till july......This worked great for me back a long time ago....I will try to answer any questions...

If you had a GN why would you use a TTA head in the first place. I'd bet there would be no noticable difference as far as flow between GN head and TTA head ported or not. Plus you have a shaft rocker setup on the GN head. I'm sorry I don't understand the point.

Michael
All of them have shaft rockers originally, the TTA heads, as far as I know, didn't diviate that far from the GN heads. Messing with GN heads on a stock TTA short block would lower your compression aswell. For me I'd almost like to go the other way since my pistons volumed a bit high but I've got enough troubles as it is with stuff fitting and like you pointed out, the less rolled GN heads flow a bit better than the TTA heads I do believe.
I'd want those rockers because I like steel better than aluminum for an item like that due to fatique life.

Back