You can type here any text you want

4.1 help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

shmed

ok heres the deal new 4.1 was running good for the for the first couple hundred k now the vac gauge is low between 5 an 10 used to be 17 20. it swings at idle 5-10 , no exhaust leaks. or vac leaks
that I found, plugs looks similar, put theres a noticeable loss of power now. brought it in to the mech says 4 an 6 aren't working properly?
im thinking camshaft?
any advice or tips I should look at/
thanks

ok heres the deal new 4.1 was running good for the for the first couple hundred k now the vac gauge is low between 5 an 10 ..........

that I found, plugs looks similar, put theres a noticeable loss of power now. brought it in to the mech says 4 an 6 aren't working properly?.........

What does "not working properly" mean? You do not have to be a tech to know that, did he do a compression check on all the cylinders?

First guess is your head gasket is blown, and could be leaking between no. 4 and 6 cylinder?

Do a compression test. I'm sure you can hear if the head gasket is out between cylinders just by cranking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a leak down test would be even better.

When you say the vacuum gauge moves at idle... is it a swinging move or more of a tick in one direction?

Also, does this engine have a flat tappet cam?

thanks for the replys, Im not sure what the tech did its my sons car,
I did a compression test this am I have 135 in all cyclinders except 4 it read 0!!!
I don't have a leak down tester suppose I can google a diy one.
yes its a flat tappet cam.
so should I pull the head or is there another test I can do?

update removed the rockers from passenger side did another compression test on 4 an hit 150 ..
thinking about putting some air into the engive via number 4 not sure tho
advice?

well after looking an looking found a broken valve spring. hopefully this will be the cure

yep. with a broken spring, you had a dead hole.

While you're there I would pull both valve covers, get a dial indicator and measure all 12 cam lobes. Buick V6's like to eat flat tappet cams almost as much as they like to eat Mustangs.

Back