40 # Chip Advice Needed

TurboGH

I hear 40# red stripe injectors are difficult to make chips for. Can anyone share their experiences/results with me?

I have used them, and have had to trouble making good chips for them. They are nice and linear, not fat/lean like the 009's are famed to be. (I've not had any experience with 009's, but will soon with a customers car).

Give me a call if you would like some help putting together your chip.

727-856-2733.
-Bob

Nice and linear? I musta been absent that day I guess.

RedStripes

I like my RedStripes and have been able to tune them without too much difficulty. The thing to remember is that they tend to be FAT on the low end (at short pulsewidths). I started with an injector constant of 45lbs and then went back and added fuel on top, as they are leaner at long pulse widths. The car idles like stock and holds a consistent 760-780 O2's at WOT. Perhaps what Bob meant was that if you plot a graph of Pulse Width vs. %Extra Fuel Over Stock (if I made that clear ??), the resulting line is fairly straight. Therefore, their characteristic is fairly predictable relatively straightforward to adjust fuel tables, etc. for. Hope this helps.

Course, Jay understands them very well and I am sure could burn you a really nice chip for them if you do not want to have to spend the time to specifically tune them to your combo.

They seem to be well behaved and I think got a bad rap a few years ago by people that thought you made a chip for them by simpley changing the injector constant to 40lbs..................its not that simple.

TG

Youre right, they are not terribly difficult to calibrate for.

My point was that they are not linear as they were billed in the post above me.

haha.. I love it.

Please dont read toooooo much into what I just posted, Jay. I simply said that I have had no trouble with them. That doesnt mean that you didnt.

I can get the results needed, which are Nice and Linear.

:)

My offer of help still stands, to anyone who needs it.

-Bob

Originally posted by BM Computer Src
They are nice and linear, not fat/lean like the 009's are famed to be.

Originally posted by TurboGeezer
The thing to remember is that they tend to be FAT on the low end (at short pulsewidths). I started with an injector constant of 45lbs and then went back and added fuel on top, as they are leaner at long pulse widths.

Originally posted by BM Computer Src
Please dont read toooooo much into what I just posted, Jay. I simply said that I have had no trouble with them.

So is it reading too much into your post that you say their not fat/lean? Or were you just wrong?

It has been my experience that it has not been difficult to program for the Red Stripes. They are currently on our 87GN which is running 11.70's. They were not difficult to dial in at all, and did not give me the impression that they were rich on the low end and lean on the top end. However, maybe it's just easier for me to balance the rich / lean because I am looking at everything graphically instead of in hex numbers. I am not the expert that Jay Carter, Jim Testa, or any of the other guys are in terms of experience. Maybe my experience is different from Jay's, and thats ok too.

What I am saying is that they were not very rich/lean during tuning the chip to them in our 87GN.

The 009's however, I am not familiar with, but will be soon. I will be working on a customers car who has them. 009's are the injectors which are always said to be rich on low end and lean on top (not linear) but I will find out soon enough.

:)

-Bob

Red Stripes are the best running injector I have ever worked with.
On the bench they are as linear as I have ever seen.....like a straightedge almost....but I have only had 2 sets on the bench.
They are neither rich nor lean on the bottom...they are exactly what you tell them to be.
If they run fat on the bottom it is not the fault of the injector, trust me.
Steve

May help (?)

I think the reason Steve and others have found them easy to work with is that they are pretty "well behaved" injectors and exhibit a predictable fuel curve. Depending upon the way you graph this curve (ie. PW vs lb/hr% Over Stock), it certainly could be illustrated as linear. However, I agree with Jay. There is definitely a "curve" to them. Here is what I found on the bench for mine (43psi fuel pressure):

short pulse widths: 33.6% more fuel than stock injectors

static: 22.0% more fuel than stock injectors

In between those points, the curve was very predictable and very "linear". Therefore, if you are running 43psi of fuel pressure, then a good Injector constant to begin with may be 31 or 32lb/hr for stock injectors and 42 or 43 lb/hr for the Redstripes (based upon 33.6% more fuel). This would have to be adjusted based upon your actual fuel pressure and whether your car likes them a little rich or a little lean. This will "ballpark" you for all the short pulse width activities such as idle and highway cruise. Then you need to put the right amount of fuel in for when you need extra, like PE mode. This will depend greatly upon your combo and this is where experience definitely pays off.

TG

If you adjust the injector constant red stripes will appear to be fat on the bottom.
These are a Lucas injector. You can't use a Bosch way of doing these.
They flow just like stock on the bottom with a Lucas profile in the chip...If anything the MaxE is lean at low pulse widths with them.

This is how these injectors have recieved a bad name. It is absolutly not the fault of the injector. Comparing them to stock is a deception...it is not reality if you use the correct Lucas profile for them.

I am easygoing but it irritates me to no end to see people pumping these chips out and getting good money for them with a Bosch profile in the chip.

Steve

Red stripes are some of the best performing injectors I have run. Find a chip maker that knows how to set up the fuel curve rather than just changing the fuel injector constant.

Injector Profiles

Steve,

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately, many of us simply make an injector work with the Bosch profile, as this is what we have to work with using the GM coding as a basis. However, for my own purposes, a few tweaks can get me what I want and I do not have to expend an enormous amount of time coding. Besides, I would probably just screw it up anyway.........:)

TG

Originally posted by Steve Y
TG,

Have fun, thats the bottom line!

Steve

Hehe, Sorry Steve but everytime I see your name I think of Steve Yzerman. Can't help it, I guess I got hockey on the brain. ;) Word has it that you're as good with your chips as he is on the ice :D

Thanx Clayton,

I don't know alot about alot of things.....but I know red stripes :)

Steve