.45 auto re-loaders, what's your favorite target re-load?

Gary Wells

White turbo Buick trailer park trash
Mine is R-P Nickel cases, Winchester LP primers, 3.5 grains of Alliant Bullseye powder, & Dardas 185 grain LSWC. Appears to be very accurate in all 5 of my .45 autos. Spill the beans, what's yours?

Gary,

I have been loading a mix of brass......some speer, some R-P and Winchester. I am currently using Berry's 200 grain plated flat point with 4.4g of Bullseye. I am buying Russian made Tullammo primers. Never had a misfire yet and they are cheap!!

I'm still fine tuning in the way of OAL and crimp. But the rounds always chamber and go Bang!! I like the Bullseye because I load alot of .38 +p and .45 ACP. I'm about to get into .357 loads, but I'm told I need a slower burning powder for magnum rounds.

I have a question: I have some Speer .45ACP brass that have small handgun sized primer pockets. I have tried loading them using standard small handgun primers and small magnum primers. I can't really tell the difference. Which would be better? What is the diff between regular and magnum primers anyway? More/longer flash? How and Why?

Where are you buying your supplies? I'm always shopping for deals to support my shooting needs!!

The magnum primers are hotter Dave, and can cause a pressure spike in the barrel. I've used them in a pinch for regular rounds but I try not to because of the added pressures.

Magnum primers are usually used on bigger charges of slower powder, not needed or wanted with a small charge of bullseye in a relatively large 45acp case. A magnum primer with it's larger & hotter flash will have a tendency to ignite the whole charge all at once when the load density is low (cartridge with little powder in it) rather than a more even burn. Check any reloading manual for magnum primer use , they have already done the homework for you.:D Sam

Dave:
I believe that Charlief1 and dynoman pretty much nailed the query for the difference between standard small pistol primers and small magnum primers.
I have bought Winchester large pistol primers from Powder Valley, which I believe is in Missouri or there about. I generally buy Aliant Bullseye powder from local gun stores but that is getting old and pricey, so I will probably buy a 4 or 8 lb keg from Powder Valley the next time around.
I buy Dardas .45 auto, 185 grain LSWC bullets direct from Dardas, not cheap, but I consider them the best of the companies that cast the 185 grain .45 cal bullet. The quality of their bullets is unmatched, amongst several companies that I have tried.