You can type here any text you want

455 for a driver or lt1 auto?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
Thinking about doing this, scared of what I would get for gas mileage and whatever problem I might run into. I plan on running an OD tranny if I do it. I also plan on keeping a/c. I may also have the possibility of obtaining a whole car for a lt1 swap. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Just thinking about doing this for a little more power, not for a racer, if I can do it cheap enough.

My son's 97 T/A WS6 with the LT-1, auto and 3:23 gears will always get 25 + MPG's on trips with the air on. Have seen a high of 28 MPG on one trip. The car is stock with a PCM's for less tune,1.6 roller rockers, and LT-4 valve springs. The car has run 1/8-8.5@81.5 1.88 60ft 1/4- 13.6@101.5 1.92 60 ft.

Dyno run was before the 1.6 RR's and LT-4 springs.

bonestockLT1.jpg

The 455 would have the cool factor though.

+1 for LT1. You could squeeze a good amount out of an LT1 and still get the gas mileage. If you have an option for a third, I'd definatly consider an LS1/4L60 or T56 6-speed combo. 300+ HP @ the wheels and can be had from a junkyard for right around 3k(if you do your shopping. These engines have gotten 30+ mpgs (C5 Vettes w/ T56) Just a thought!!!

I am probably the most LT1'd guy roaming these boards, so here comes my 2 cents.

LT1's are nice engines, run good, make decent power, and get good mileage. I have had really good luck with one of my LT1 cars, the other was a nightmare (the one I just sold). The electronic crap on them can drive you to drink turpentine.

If you have the budget I would go LS1. If you want to go really fast get an LS1, they are more expensive initially, but a 500rwhp na LT1 will cost a lot more than a 500 rwhp LS1.

Both are good, but it's hard to beat a good old 455 in a Buford.

Oh yeah, I ran 8psi on my AFR headed, cammed LT1 and I would demolish my GN on 20psi. Boosted v8s are cool :cool:

If you have the budget I would go LS1. If you want to go really fast get an LS1, they are more expensive initially, but a 500rwhp na LT1 will cost a lot more than a 500 rwhp LS1.

I am with you on that. My son's girlfriends car, a 99 Z/28 LS1 is .3 faster and has gotten 31 MPG on trips. The only mods to this car is a PCM for less tune, an air lid, and a K&N filter.

Jim

Well my bubbles been bursted. My financial advisor and time planner;) put the bash on that. And apparently I'm not allowed to "turbo" the limited. I may not be able to sneak a 455 or any other motor in the garage but I'm sure I can hide a box of carbed turbo parts somewhere:rolleyes:

Back