5.25 speakers don't fit in my doors

blackout007

I have an 87 Turbo T which I've had for quite awhile. This year I've decided to redo the entire audio system. I always had a crappy stereo and a couple small speakers that were too small. When I started researching everything I see that 5.25 speakers in the door are stock size. I found a set but then realized the hole cut in my door is only a 4 inch diameter. I also took off the door panel and the cutout in the sheet metal is also 4 inches. When I got the car years ago there were empty speaker holes in the upper door panel as well as the rear seat panels. I've attached a couple pictures. I assumed these were cut out by the previous owner and not stock but now that I see this hole is small I'm not sure. Has anyone seen something like this?

Attachments

• 20190514_114010.jpg
    20190514_114010.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
None of those holes are stock anything locations. All those holes were cut for speakers and maybe some tweeters by a previous owner. If you had a concert sound package, the speakers would have only been on the bottom of the doors' edges and moved all the way forward towards the fender. Only one per door and they had a cover that went over them.

I don't know what the stock size of the concert sound speakers were. But I do know when I installed 5.25" speakers, my friend had to trim material for them to fit. Unfortunately, I can't remember if he trimmed material because the holes were smaller or if the new speakers were too deep. I hope this helps some.

Last edited:
None of those holes are stock anything locations. All those holes were cut for speakers and maybe some tweeters by a previous owner. If you had a concert sound package, the speakers would have only been on the bottom of the doors' edges and moved all the way forward towards the fender. Only one per door and they had a cover that went over them.

I don't know what the stock size of the concert sound speakers were. But I do know when I installed 5.25" speakers, my friend had to trim material for them to fit. Unfortunately, I can't remember if he trimmed material because the holes were smaller or if the new speakers were too deep. I hope this helps some.
Thank you! I thought that was a standard hole in the lower panel. I've already replaced the upper and rear with the kit from Highway Stars. I guess I'll just have to cut the existing hole a bit more. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of stock adapter I was missing. I checked the trunk code and it didn't come with concert sound.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk