You can type here any text you want

5/8" wheel studs. Worth it?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

KevinB

I have a 9" w/ Moser axles, full spool and th400 w/brake. I hope to brake into the 9's also;)

Anyways, is it worth upgrading to 5/8" wheel studs? It will be a major pain the @ss to use them right now. I have the studs, but I cann't find a local shop to do the work. I'd rather stick some long, stock diameter ARP's in it and call it done. Right now I have other issues with getting this car done, installing these studs would just add to my ever growing list.

TIA!

I would do them cause they look badass.
But the stockers are pretty small.
I would personally atleast put a set of 1/2 hardened in there

I just got my new axles from Moser with the 5/8 studs. Need to figure out how to install them the correct way now. Moser said they recommend them over 800hp with the weight of our cars.

I just got my new axles from Moser with the 5/8 studs. Need to figure out how to install them the correct way now. Moser said they recommend them over 800hp with the weight of our cars.

I just got my axles for my 9" back today also from Moser. I had them drilled for the 5/8" studs. They charged $60 + shipping. The kit from Moroso was less than $100. Cheap insurance I guess.

Here's mine. Gotta get off my butt and put it into the car this week.

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

WIth 5/8 studs you have no chance of putting any stock rims on it, i am stuck on using the stock rims, so thats a no no for me. I have seen the moser 12.5mm studs go in the mid 9s with 1.3 x 60's no problems on some cars i know they are only .027 smaller than 1/2" studs, but it can;t hurt if you can fit them in. You will have to change the brackets to fit that HR bar on the rear also, or open up the lower radius and weld them to the rear.
I need to know how much the stock 8.5 rear weighs with drums complete.

The moser 9" comes in at 155lbs no brakes with the alum center.

Those are some fancy axles:D What are you doing for a center section?

Here are mine:
axles.jpg

They drilled new holes for the studs. The guy at Moser said that doing this will not make them weaker. Looks like I have the option to always go back to the stock stud size if I ever want to.

I have a strange set. The nut has a thick 1/2in alum. spacer behind it to keep the wheels from getting mared. They do like trick.

WIth 5/8 studs you have no chance of putting any stock rims on it, i am stuck on using the stock rims, so thats a no no for me. I have seen the moser 12.5mm studs go in the mid 9s with 1.3 x 60's no problems on some cars i know they are only .027 smaller than 1/2" studs, but it can;t hurt if you can fit them in. You will have to change the brackets to fit that HR bar on the rear also, or open up the lower radius and weld them to the rear.
I need to know how much the stock 8.5 rear weighs with drums complete.

The moser 9" comes in at 155lbs no brakes with the alum center.

There are a lot of guys running low 9s and high 8s with the 1/2" studs. I just wanted the safety factor since I'm not running stock wheels. I got a new lower mount for the HR bar. Just have to weld it on to the housing. The stock 8.5 with aluminum drums and moser axles was pretty heavy. I'm sure the 9" will be a little more though. The boxes for housing and axles together were 124lbs without the center section and brakes. Hope to have some lighter brakes on there soon. ;)

Those are some fancy axles:D What are you doing for a center section?

They drilled new holes for the studs. The guy at Moser said that doing this will not make them weaker. Looks like I have the option to always go back to the stock stud size if I ever want to.

They are just plain ol 35 spline moser axles..:biggrin: Eventually I hope to get an aluminum center but for now it's gonna be a borrowed iron center section.

They are just plain ol 35 spline moser axles..:biggrin: Eventually I hope to get an aluminum center but for now it's gonna be a borrowed iron center section.

Nice! My axles are just Moser 31 spline. I am also using a Ford nodular center. Damn thing wieghs about 100lbs:eek:

Nothing wrong with having a safety factor in there. Once you feel the weight of an iron center, you will never want to pick it up again! Thats why i went alum, and its still heavy at 55lbs.:smile:

Back