500+HP and the big BANG!

Guys, thanks for all the kind words and offers. To address some of your questions:

The trans case is no big deal. My good friend Lonnie Diers has a multitude of spare 200-4Rs laying around. This will prolly be my chance to learn how to do a tranny rebuild as (we are hoping) all I should have to do is transfer the internals from one case to another.

The broken case wasn't even noticed until the motor was out and I wired the bellhousing to the hood bumper so I could remove the jack and push the car back into the garage. This explains one bolt that fell out. Four of the other bellhousing bolts were only "finger-tight." BTW, it was intense vibration (prolly from the crank snapping) that A) wobbled the front of the crank enough to break the balancer and B) loosen all three accessory mounting bracket bolts (one of them completely fell out...explaining bolt number two that fell out on the dyno) and finally C) pushed the converter back into the trans cracking the case. The broken balancer twisted the crank key and literally ate the front seal of the timing chain. The oil slinger is pretty chewed as well.

Incidently, this is the second time a balancer has come apart on me (first time was because the pulley came loose and pounded on the balancer for "who knows" how long). Yes, I was lucky it did not exit the motor while on the dyno as that would have killed someone if they were hit by it. In the alternative, it might have ripped through the machine shop and I'd been stuck with a large repair bill. :eek:

I did not have the knock sensor turned on, but with 117 motor octane fuel...it didn't seem to be needed. BTW, the connecting rod bearings look brand new - no signs of detonation there. I won't know about the mains until the girdle comes off. The cylnder walls are still look perfect. Cross hatching is still very evident. Pistons #3 and 4 are at the very bottom of the cylnder. It is possible that the walls may be FUBAR down low.

What went first? Good question! The shortblock will be disassembled at a machine chop with an expert examining pieces as they are removed. But as already mentioned, years of blowing headgaskets from detonation prolly had already weakened the crank...if not a piston or two.

I will be at Morocco administering the TSM race and helping out where I can.

The motor was a GM inventory SG1 109 shortblock. Had I not installed the girdle and billet caps in winter 2001, it would have still been 100% stock Buick crank, pistons, rod, and block.

It is my understanding that I am at least the third person to break a crank with a RJC girdle. Jason White did it at Bristol in 2002, but it just fractured. Mine broke into 3 large pieces. I will retain my 109 or use the spare 109 block in my garage. The TA block will not be legal for TSM racing.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Scott...

that is always a negative, but (10 yrs.) of enjoyment with that piece is great bang for the buck. If it's going to happen, the dyno is the place where you want it to happen, better than experiencing it on the top end @ 130mph (they say things happen for a reason), especially now with the new born comming.

The next one will be better, I am sure.

WOW!

That was ugly!

Luckly no one was hurt! It's sad to see a fellow Buick person be sidelined by something like this. Hopefully you'll be up and running sooner than you think.

I do have a question though, with an indicated AFR of 13.5:1, why add only 4%? At 4%, you're only looking at around 12:9 or so? Do you guys run your cars this lean or am I just too chicken to do it to mine?

-Bobby

Why did I only add 4%? We wanted to see how much of a difference 4% would make with my complete setup.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20. Seeing how detonation doesn't appear to have been a culprit, it might have come apart anyway.:(

WOW! Damn Scott, I m sick to my stomach! Sorry about the motor..... Let me know if you need anything!:( ;)

Leave it to you to be an innovator Scott...
DYNO over the crank club.

Everyone else had to actually drive their car to do this.

If it's any consolation, I know a guy who did a high buck rebuild on a TTA motor and had it dyno'd......and blew it completely apart, because the builder did not tighten and torque the rod bolts. Can you believe that? The place didn't even want to take any responsibility, and it was their parts, work and dyno.

If it were me, you would have heard 2 bangs. The first the motor, the second the pistol in my mouth........

Keep your head up - I'm sure you'll come out ahead in the end.

Scott,
You definitly did a good one there. That's why I don't like dyno's.
I took my car to a dyno one time and made three pulls on it and took it off. Our cars rev to fast and couldn't get a true reading. Maybe I was doing it wrong who knows. I feel your pain. That really sucks. I have blocks, cranks, rods if you need anything.

Good Luck on the rebuild.

See ya around

It is my understanding that running a car on the dyno is not as hard on the drivetrain as driving it down the track. Unfortunately, none of us that ran on the dyno that day had Chris' problem (spooled too quickly).

The point was to find out how far off each car was from an optimal air:fuel ratio and to then compensate. We accomlished that on two cars and mine made one move in the right direction before blowing up. One car gained over 60HP by correcting his fuel. You can't tell me that wasn't some of the best tuning he's ever had. The sad thing was that my car showed the most promise based on the first run....:rolleyes:

OUCH!!! I'm STILL cringing. But I feel MUCH better seeing that girdle and main caps still in place. Hopefully that saved the block. Looks like the crank is the new weak point. Now for someone to build up some good cranks for us ON A BUDGET. :)

Oh, BTW, Congratualtions on the upcoming addition to the family....

Derrick

One car gained over 60HP by correcting his fuel.

Scott, that's quite a gain from tuning alone (60hp and 15hp). On both your car and the car that gained 60hp, what were the initial and final targets?

-Bobby

I can only assume that by "targets" you mean targeted air:fuel ratio. We were going to shoot for 11.5-12.0:1 depending on boost and how the HP #s changed with A:F ratios.

Scott i feel bad for you but an engine can be replaced but your life can't . The dyno is alot easier on the car than a tunning pass. On the dyno your only spining the rollers (dynojet) on a pass you have alot more load . I don't chasis dyno gas cars anymore,to make power on the dyno you gotta lean the hell out of the car and when you put it on the street you have to richen by 4 percent or you will cook it .I dynoed my t-type year ago and made 598 at the tires and when i got to the track it would not make down the track without changing the tune. See ya at renolds. :)

After doing some thinking Reynolds has lost its allure. With no car to race, I cannot justify driving ~12 hours to watch others race. Nor will my pregnant wife allow me to disappear for 3 days! :rolleyes:

Man, that sucks. Really makes me think that I should keep my new TR nearly stock and just be slow for a while.

Yes it did - on Mains #1, 2 & 3. Went through all the proper machine work beforehand (i.e. align bore, machined down the brand new caps for the girdle).

So we know that the next week point is the crank and then prob the rods. Anything will break if you beat on it long enough. 10 years seems pretty long to me.

ka boom

looking at your pictures and hearing about ten years of service I'd bet the crank was fatiqed. one of the pictures shows the rear part of the crank it looks sheared clean. I feel your pain serveral years ago a group of freinds had a very competitve bracket car 468BBC It was freshened every year. the cam broke in three pieces on a pass. the worst part about it was the rear piece acted like a drill bit through the convertor and into the front pump. took off the heads and intake and junked every thing except the rear end. The engine hard parts had seen 4 years of beatings. all you can do is try again,good luck!

Can't someone make a damn Titanium engine assembly?:D

Hopefully with this new T/A block we can street a 1500 horsepower Turbo 6 for Ten Years as well.:D

Scott, good luck getting your boost back.

> Can't someone make a damn Titanium engine assembly?

Well, yes, we do on helicopters :)

Actually it's the rotor hub. It costs more than our cars even in it's raw forging state. In fact, I'll bet the chips that are saved from machining would buy a new crank!

I think Scott should eBay the crank parts as a collectors item/paperweight.

Originally posted by mark b
I think Scott should eBay the crank parts as a collectors item/paperweight.

I would never sell something that cool. :D