-6 fuel return line question

OOPS... always open to suggestions! R U saying simply cut off (how much) from the return and use it vs the vent line? I see the advantage of fuel returning to the bottom rather than from the vent as u mentioned. If using the vent for return could this also create a false burp when at full throttle since all fuel isn't immediately available at pickup (especially when a little low on fuel)?? Thoughts please............

OOPS... always open to suggestions! R U saying simply cut off (how much) from the return and use it vs the vent line?

Yes, just need to cut a little over an inch off. Here is a good picture of a sending unit that shows the necked down portion on the return line:

SpectreUnit_01.jpg

Which also shows that the vent line and return are the same diameter once the necked down portion is removed. I used StayBite # 8 and liquid flux to solder the fitting on. It could also be brazed or silver soldered onto the line.

I see the advantage of fuel returning to the bottom rather than from the vent as u mentioned. If using the vent for return could this also create a false burp when at full throttle since all fuel isn't immediately available at pickup (especially when a little low on fuel)?? Thoughts please............

Spraying the fuel back into the tank is not good on several fronts. It is aerating the fuel in the baffled area, which will cause issues with the injectors. As the air will be compressed and will easily pass through the injector along with some fuel.

Then go WOT and that aerated fuel is still in the baffled area and the feed line. Lean knock can occur.

It will increase the production of fuel vapor in the tank. Which then needs to be taken care of, with the lighter aromatics being lost first.

If the fuel doesn't end up back into the baffled area, as you surmise can reduce the fuel level in it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thank you sir................always a great response from Forum members !!! Hence the re-inventing and progressing of this 30 year old phenomenon we call our passion!!!