6 litre build ?

I am attempting to put a truck 6 litre in a 87 442. I have installed a ls 6 intake and see that the idler pulley will have to go. Will the alternator be too tall? Thanks--Lee

Lee, it may be. I made a "semi custom" set up, using a vette accessory brkt, and the 2010 Camaro wp. I then spaced the access. brkt out to the truck balancer, and used a mechanical belt tensioner.
LMK if you need pics, etc.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Lee, it may be. I made a "semi custom" set up, using a vette accessory brkt, and the 2010 Camaro wp. I then spaced the access. brkt out to the truck balancer, and used a mechanical belt tensioner.
LMK if you need pics, etc.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Pics would be great--I will be forever indebted to you.--Lee

Lee, here are some pics of the setup..
I'll get exact spacer dims, and post them, asap..
Turbo dr exh with Vette alt mt 001.jpg

You can use the truck bolts for the install.
I used a 2010 Camaro w/p, ebag 140A alt, and p/s pump. Gennie GM reservoir brkt, tank, feed hose.
The wp works if you are using the truck intake, too.
The pressure side on the p/s is a Saginaw to -6AN, to the hydraboost.
The fittings come from Pure Choice Motorsports, in Az.

NE ?'s, just call me. I'm usually home on the weekends, and after 4, during the week.
I may have the individual pt #'s at work. LMK, if you want them.

NE1 else, feel free to call.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Attachments

• Turbo dr exh with Vette alt mt 002.jpg
    Turbo dr exh with Vette alt mt 002.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Turbo dr exh with Vette alt mt 003.jpg
    Turbo dr exh with Vette alt mt 003.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 140
Sorry Lee, it just occurred to me, that you, & others, may not be doing a turbo instalI, so I best add some background info to the replies I've posted.:banghead:
I used the Vette mount to get below the hood line, get the ps out of the way. I used the spacers to allow room for the x over pipe, at the p/s pump/steer gear, w/o having to make it look like a pretzel. Additionally, I was going to use the balancer I had from the truck app, with intent to use the truck low mt adapter for the SD7 ac comp.
I then realized, "hey dummy, this is going to generate some serious steam"...No place for a cast balancer.:jawdrop:
An ATI w/ ac comp pulley is on there, now.
So, one can use the Fbody, or the Vette parts, w/o the spacers, should the turbo not be in the plan.
I'll get the pt #'s today, and measure the spacers, should they still be in play.
Sorry for the misleading posts.:oops:

Update:
Alum spacer dims are 1 5/8"Lx 1" diameter. Make them a tad long, then assemble, and check belt alignment.

GM pt #'s are:
Vette balancer 12560115
Vette accessory brkt 12578067
W. pump 19256263
P/S pump 25960709
Idler pulley 12568996
P/S reservoir 26046502
Cap 10317982
Res mt brkt 12555222
Pump feed hose 15907878
I'm not sure about a tensioner, as some use a mechanical, some OEM.
We use the Quik Perf a/c mounts, and they specify the tensioner.
Summit has most of these parts. They also have some as "kits". Suggest you check around, before you buy.
Holley has some of these too.
Use care w/ the alternator, as there are different mounting dimensions for truck and Vette.

HTH,

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

There are a few venders that make affordable setups. LSSIMPLE.net and ICTBILLET.com. I have used both with success. Pictured is an ICT kit with truck spacing using an Fbody power steering pump (disregard the red circled fitting). The LSSimple bracket was very nice and worked great with a NA setup. Went Twins so I had to change.

cool.JPG

Lee, I used the truck intake for my 6.0 swap. I didn't have to modify anything. I used the stock truck p/s pressure line. the power steering pulley is close to box but hasn't hit it yet.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    774.2 KB · Views: 133
  • hood clearance.jpg
    hood clearance.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 129
Thanks, its the stock one for a truck. The one thing I forgot that needed changing from the truck was the thermostat housing. I put a straight one in. I actually cut the lower radiator hose in half too so I could twist it slightly. heater hoses dayco 80406 and 80417
upload_2018-2-21_15-35-20.jpeg

Last edited: