69 Camaro swap

Tommy69Z

I am getting ready to start prepping the 87 motor setup and get ready to swap into my 69 Z28. Any advice?

This one was at our Brand-X Bash in Temple, Texas last year. Hopefully someone from our area who knows who the owner is will see this. He may show up next month at the next X-Bash in Rusk, TX. I know that it is not much of a lead, but; it is more than you have received so far. Good luck!

Attachments

• DSCF0271.jpg
    DSCF0271.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 474
This is Chuck's car.

From what I hear he is planning on going to Rush for the Brand X.

I will send him this link.

I just want to do this right the first time! I have a buddy, Chris Hogeland, who is gonna help me build up the motor, trying to talk me into the stroker, but that is a little out of my budget! I got me a set of 3.31's for the rear, and will probably go ahead and ditch the 200r, for a th350. Any advice on the install? I will probably go with a TE45a, 72's, and all the goodies for that.

[I got me a set of 3.31's for the rear, and will probably go ahead and ditch the 200r, for a th350. Any advice on the install? I will probably go with a TE45a, 72's, and all the goodies for that.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, I think that you would wind up being severely dissappointed in the TH350's durability and efficiency. I think that there are many here along with myself that would advise you to go with TH400 if you are not going to use the 200r4. The TH400 is far superior in strength, and; it will enable you to launch hard with a trans brake without the fear of catastrophic failure. I would further advise you, if I may do so, to go with a converter from PTC. If you want to get real creative, there is always the 4L80E. It is basically the modern TH400 with overdrive. Unfortunately, it requires the usage of an external electronic control module and the entire setup is about 2.5x as expensive as the TH400 setup.

I have a TE45a and 83#. I recently stepped up to a TH400 and a 3.25 GR. The 200r had to be rebuilt too often. My first advice is to scrap the Camaro wiring and buy a new Buick harness. It will be easier to pick up the few 1969 wiring requirements than trying to integrate the two as I did. Also, you can get a complete manual for about $80. I can send you the main electrical sheets but the entire manual is very useful.

I had trouble getting the motor low enough. The exhaust manifold will hit the steering box until you raise the motor. I had to use a fiberglass hood as the alternator and turbo hit my steel cowl hood bracing.

Its been great fun and gets lots of attention. Call or email me for more discussion and pics.

Chuck

Hey Ztype i have a buddy thats doing the same thing except his car is a 68 camaro how did you do the engine mounts we tried to fit the engine but the factory headers hit the steering box.
Any help would be great. maybe some pics also . :D

Thats the info I am looking for!

SuperCPA I have a couple of buddys running the th350 in their cars with great results, one in the high 9's, othe mid 10's, as for the converter, your right on! PTC all the way, the are just right down the road from my house!

Chuck, my email is tommy_wilson@bellsouth.net, looking forward to some pics!
I do have the complete harness from the donor car, and I was planning to swap it all in, I had a short under the dash a few years ago, so that is the plan.

Tommy69Z said:
Thats the info I am looking for!

SuperCPA I have a couple of buddys running the th350 in their cars with great results, one in the high 9's, othe mid 10's, as for the converter, your right on! PTC all the way, the are just right down the road from my house!

Chuck, my email is tommy_wilson@bellsouth.net, looking forward to some pics!
I do have the complete harness from the donor car, and I was planning to swap it all in, I had a short under the dash a few years ago, so that is the plan.

That is interesting! Did they just drop the TH350 in and go, or; did they have them built up prior to installation? That is much more HP being put to them than I have been told by many people that it could handle in it's stock configuration. I don't know anyone in my area who would even recommend it, and; we are a big group here in DFW. Your insight as to how they do it would be helpful to me. I am planning on dumping the 200 in my GN as well. Especially since I spend 70% of my time with it at the drag strip.

Sounds like a cool project.

If you go the TH350 route or powerglide I have an Art Carr 8" NLU convertor with approx 3800 stall freshly rebuilt/restalled from Conley's Performance. $800 (list is $1250 new).

Remember a TH400 will also suck up about 30-40hp in parasitic loss from heavier internals and weighs a boatload more.

If your car is light enuf the TH350 or glide should be fine. If you really race the car hard then a rebuild 1x year is pretty normal.

In the past few months there are some reasonably priced stroker cranks and forged rods on the market. Contact Dan Strezo (DLS in Michigan) about cranks.

Back a year ago forged cranks were 3x that price if not more. If you plan to make 600hp+ either do billet main caps or a girdle. Girdle will be stronger; however harder to inspect the main caps (bearings) for wear after every season. A stock block with caps or girdle, stock crank, stock rods (polished beams/ARP rod bolts), forged pistons (I like JE's), and ported iron heads with ported intake should be able to handle 700hp reliably with a perfect tune. Obviously you need a big turbo/intercooler/injectors/downpipe. A stock GN crank under lots of boost will flex in the middle and eventually wear out #2/#3 main bearings. Fact of life. Forged/billet crank will resist this.

Ever thought about doing a turbo LS1 or 6.0 LSx style motor? Stock blocks/cranks can handle 1000hp with forged rods($400)/pistons and this is thru a stock LS6 or 6.0 truck intake manifold using stock 5.3/6.0 exhaust manifolds to feed the turbo(s). Probably similar cost as building up a pumped stock block GN engine IMO.
ie
LS2 block $850 new
LS1 crank $150 used
Eagle rods $400 new
Diamond forged pistons $700 new
ported stock 6.0 heads $1100 new
LS6 intake manifold $325 used
Z06 used cam $100
used 5.3/6.0 exhaust manifolds $75
This will support 1000hp on the stock LS1 computer.
Injectors/turbo/intercooler and you could run easy low 9's if not faster.

-Mark

Thanks for the offer on the converter, but I will be going with a PTC when I get ready.

As for the LS1, I just want the buick setup, it will definitely not be as many of those in first gen camaros, plus I really miss the buick I had a few years ago!

Tommy69Z said:
I am getting ready to start prepping the 87 motor setup and get ready to swap into my 69 Z28. Any advice?

Is this a real "Z" and if so what did you do with the 302?

Clone

Yes, my Camaro is a clone. I would not have been able to make myself do this to a real Z.

as for the motor mounts, it's a piece of cake. just move the engine as far back as possible. the drivers side header will hit if you are running power steering but it will not with manual steering. as for the th350, I have had no problems running high 9's with mine, as for the converter it's an ATI.