7.70@90 Tonight! New best

Pat

Boost Conseuer!
This was the first time out with the new Vigilante in, so I was eager to see what I could do. My best before with the 49 and 3"DP, stock D5 was a 8.20 on slicks. My first pass tonight was a 8.20 on old worn out Nitto DR's with the 275/50/15 on GN rims in the trunk along with a jack(which I forgot to take out!) After I remove all the weight and lauched harder, I acheive the 7.70 @90 MPH. I was going to run again, but felt that was all the better the Nitto would do for me. They were bitting hard the whole way down the track. Maybe a 7.60-7.50 with a good 10" slick? What kind of time would this yeild in th 1/4?

Set up: 110 cam2, 23# of boost, new autolite 23's, stock rear susp., no air bags, stock car w/ 130K, RA 108 chip 47# fuel line off

RT .610
60ft 1.650
1/8 7.70
MPH 90

Knock'n on your door Kevin! And no Trailer Queen here!

Yeah, the 90 Mustang with slicks ran a 9.10.... Why even try? He was really talking smack too! He didn't have much to say after the run, to say the least.

good runs and great 60 fts with the Nittos! A 7.50 is a guaranteed 11.90 and probably and an 11.80.

If you get slicks, think about 28". Your car is at the point where a 28" tire will pick you up. They will also help big time in the 1/4 when using a loose converter. I would guess with a 28" slick and your current state of tune, your car would see an 11.7 in the 1/4.

Nice run buddy. 7.70 @ 90 mph should get you into the 12.0's @ ~ 111-112 mph.

How much slicks would pick you up really depens upon how much harder you could launch - or how much less you would spin on your current launch. A 1.65 60 ft is pretty dang good on DR's - especially Nitto's.

Great numbers Pat

Those 60ft times on nitto's can't get much better than a 1.65:eek: That little TA49 turbo really screams out of the hole... If you don't mind me asking do you have a 12inch 2800 stall converter???

9"Vigilante 3000-3400 stall. This was the second pass last night on this converter. I tuned it before going to the track, my 02's were around 795.

I almost didn't run at all, on the way to the track everytime I'd come to a stop it would die. Turned out to be a loose battery cable! Thank God, cause I turned out to be a good night.

Thanks for the info Pat

With some more tunning, and some slicks you should easily run a high 11 with those times you made on DRs... BTW, how is the weather up there... I'm guessing nice and cool, so watch the boost gauge, and keep the head gaskets on the car:D

Last night it was around 60 deg. I can't wait for it to get a little cooler, no one comes to the track then and you can make passes all day. In two hours I only got in 2 runs.

Believe me, I was watching the knock gauge all the way down the track, the last thing I want to do is relpace head gaskets right now!

Nice run Pat.
Wish I was that fast.
How much did the coverter help your 60' and mph?
Just wondering I am thinking of upgrading from the D5.
Thanks, Slow 87:)

I believe my 60' wasn't all that bad before the turbo and Dp upgrade. After the upgrade it was around 1.8 on slicks. I also picked up about 3 MPH in the 1/8.

I knew this car need a converter because at the 60' it just took off! It didn't matter how hard I left, it just wouldn't make any HP until 1/2 track. If your running strong all the way down the track, I wouldn't bother with a converter. Just tune it or add some boost.

Nice runs there! Not too bad, a Buick that drives in the gate, runs 7.7's, then drives back home. ;)

New converter????

Originally posted by slow 87
Nice run Pat.
Wish I was that fast.
How much did the coverter help your 60' and mph?
Just wondering I am thinking of upgrading from the D5.
Thanks, Slow 87:)

Slow87, If you decide to change your converter check out :Gears are us". He's selling the PTC brand and he and I both use them . I like it a lot. Wayne has been in the 6's at OHV with his. I haven't ran mine with nuking the tranny a BG and all. It's about back together now. Maybe this weekend. This is not an advertisement.

PAT, you're KILLIN' ME!! :D A LOOSE BATTERY CABLE!?
That's EXACTLY what happened to me my first time at the track. I had just made my first 1/4 run (getting a disappointing 13.7 at 99) I waited in the staging lanes, and was maybe 3 cars back in my row. We got the signal to start....NOTHING out of my car. They routed the cars around me as my friends and I looked around under the hood. About the time they closed off my row, my friend jiggled the positive cable and it came out. His "YOU IDIOT" look was priceless. Two turns with the Leatherman and she fired up. I was glad that's all it was.
By the way, those are some insane times. 7.7 in the 1/8 is LOOOOOOW 12s or 11.9 I would guess. Keep kickin' butt! And don't you love the smack talkers?? Losing by MANY carlengths in the 1/8th must've shut him up in a hurry. :cool:

Yeah, no matter how prepared you are, something aways reminds you thing can still go wrong!

I just checked my slips, 7.70 is gonna net you about a 12.15-12.20. all my high 11 passes were a
7.5something @ 90-91!! Good Luck to ya!!

I'm hoping that a set of 10.5 slicks would do the trick. The Nitto's just wont net a good time. Maybe some weight in the trunk would have done some good, but with heavy GN wheels and 275/50's on them, they're pretty heavy!