700R4 w / overdrive

Lockman

OH, OK .......Now I get it
Hello Ya'all....
I've got a 700R4 W/ Overdrive, Bolted up to my 1984 Buick Turbo SFI V6 . All done by the PO. There are zero stampings or Tags on the Tranny. I 'm hoping it's the '86 -'87 year with the 30 spline at the outlet ? Any one know how I find out which year without taking it apart ? It works and shifts great, although 1st & 2nd go by pretty quick ?

Yes you can look at the passenger side where the servo cover is and if there's a casting mark that looks like a camel hump that runs from the servo up and back down by where the bellhousing is that is an 86 and a half and newer which is what you want

Thanks
gunzandgearz.... This is the only Stamping That I could find , So Far ? Does this mean anything that you would know of ?
I really appreciate any more advice . One guy told me it was " Late 80's " ???

Tranny Bell Housing MD8.jpg

Look at the passender side where the big servo cover is right above the pan rail where that servo is there will be a line (a raised area) that looks like a large camel hump if it is a 1986.5 to 1992 which are the auxiliary valve body transmissions these are the ones you want

There is a hump I'm talking about looks like a camshaft lobe if yours has that on it it is the one you want those are 1986 and a half to 1992 auxiliary valve body they are they good ones hope this helps

gunzandgearz
Thanks Brother..... Now You've pointed me the Right Way, You sure are a help to Me .... Here's hoping ..I'll let you know , tonite.

Its A 1982 . But I have a Really good feeling that the Guy that did this build knew what he was doin' ! He put the updated parts into this rebuilt Tranny, I'm Confident...........Anyway, I found the tag: 9Y3163N . The 'MD8 ' indicates a Rebuild. It shifts great & no Leaks, so I am moving on to other updates .... Like the Oil Pressure , Water Temp, & Amp Gauge Install. Just can't trust the ' Idiot Lites " !!!! Thanks, Ya'all !

The 700R4 wasn't available in '82. The MD8 is cast into the case and is the RPO code for the 700R4 transmission.

To positively ID the trans, look for the code that is stamped into the case. It is at the rear of the pan rail, passenger side, right above where the pan bolts up.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The 700R4 wasn't available in '82.

I was wrong, the first year of the 700R4 is '82. The '82 - '84 transmissions had a smaller input shaft. In '85 through end of life the input shaft was larger. The torque converter will not swap between the two input shaft sizes.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks, RmvBfrFlght . " 9Y3163N " ....IIts A 1982 . But I have a Really good feeling that the Guy that did this build knew what he was doin' ! He put the updated parts into this rebuilt Tranny, I'm Confident..

Also they were junk hate to say that cuz I know you have one but GM was actually building those transmissions and had all kinds of problems with them and then they turned it over to hydra-matic division and it took them a couple years to get it all squared away and they came out with the auxiliary valve body in 86 and a half so the 86 and a half to 1992 auxiliary valve bodies with that Camel Hump casting mark are the ones to have if you're going to build one for performance and not have any shifting issues they had major problems with the valve body calibration in the early ones

Thanks, Man....... I Know that it has been rebuilt. I'll Hope they rebuilt it the right way! I am NOT going to race this It's going to be mostly a DD.... It's A Unique set up .... in My 1975 Jeep !!!! Right now it shifts and acts fine , Through all the gears ! Thanlks for your expertise though . I appreciate it . Lockman

As long as you get the TV adjustment correct on it and it seems to shift okay and the shift points are on target you should be fine just don't lean on it too hard